Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Race Tech suspension

BCasinger

I am about to have my local suspension shop work the front and rear suspension with Race Tech Gold Valves and new springs. I have not seen any information about anyone doing this work with their parts. Surely I can't be the only one! Does anyone have feedback?

@BCasinger I got my suspension adjusted from a Race Tech dealer.  Valving changes to the front and a rear spring rated for my weight and luggage.  I've only had an opportunity for a couple of quick rides due to lockdowns but what I can say it seems more planted.   Work was done quickly and the parts and labor rate were fair.  For those in Ontario, Canada the dealer name is: Mission Cycle located in Angus.

Edited by Yammybound88
added @username
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. I have had good luck with Race Tech, so hoping it’s worth it. With my weight and camping gear I definitely need some work done.

• Like 1

I had Racetech springs put in the front and the Rallye Raid spring in the back of my bike. Stock valving. Just did a 450 mile break in ride and the bike did feel really nicely planted. I ended up softening up the compression a few clicks from the center of the range to soften up the initial part of the stroke. Also slowed the rebound down a little. Works pretty good and was compliant and went where I pointed it. I like KYB forks-

• Like 5

It's funny, I see a lot of info posted where people are just changing the shock spring, but changing out the fork cartridge for the full front kits or new cartridges. I would have thought about doing it the other way around.

5 hours ago, BCasinger said:

It's funny, I see a lot of info posted where people are just changing the shock spring, but changing out the fork cartridge for the full front kits or new cartridges. I would have thought about doing it the other way around.

There isn't one solution for every bike.  What you are seeing is people changing out the inferior characteristics of the rear and front suspension. 

Rear spring is grossly under sprung for the vast majority of riders.  Valving in the rear isn't that bad but for many it's still not right so they swap out the shock.

Front is definitely not right in valving so that's why many opt for cartridges or valve work.

I'm sure your Racetech suspension will be way better than the OEM.  I wouldn't get hung up on which route people go and if you should follow suit.

J

• Like 4

I got springs coming from RT....holding off on revalve till. I ride....interested in your results with gold valves

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I did the race tech 6.5 fork springs, same length as stockers but with a few more coils.  put in handmade 7mm spacers to get my sag in range.

Rear shock spring is a 90nm Rally raid unit.  Cant remember the comp and rebound settings at this time.

Fork settings are at 12 clicks on both comp and rebound, rides great and only bottoms out if I launch it and land like a clown!

Rear shock used to be at 22 of 24 clicks preload, now at 2 clicks pre-load.

So far i'm pretty happy with this set up, i have lost a bit of weight lately and everything is still great at my new 180lb weight.