Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mostly back road pavement riding, is the T700 for me?

hawk45

Hi all,

In my search for a new bike I'm really trying to be honest with myself about the type of riding I will be doing.  While I would love to have the time to do these magical YouTube'esque across the country and around the world rides, the reality of the use of this bike will be mostly after work and weekend riding on back roads for enjoyment.  I'm not going to take a T7 to our semi-local off-road park either b/c that place scares the #### out of me with all the 4WD ADVs that fly around there.  Most other trail riding in Ohio is pretty technical too, wet clay, LOTS of trees and 90 degrees and 100% humidity and no breeze most of the summer.  Not ideal for tossing a 450lb dirt bikeish around.. I did it for years with DR and always seemed more fun than it ended up being.   Even if I get the opportunity to do some real travel with the bike, distances will probably be more like 200-500 miles max each way, mostly senic backroads as much as possible.  Not a fan of highways on bikes.  I have a Roadstar that can do it, but it's not enjoyable, not much highway scenery where I live.  Out west, sure.. Ohio, not so much, unless you are fascinated by flat fields of corn and soy.   The T7 looks like a great all around bike, but I've also been looking at the upright naked sport bikes.   I do not want a big 500 lb "ADV" or sport touring bike,  I'm sub 50 yrs old and maybe one will be in the future, but not quite yet.   I want something fun and quick on the road more purposed for bringing smiles as it leans into a corner or as the throttle is cracked open vs comfort for long distance riding.   I'm not interested in a full track bike either, been there done that and back/wrists/age disagree with the riding positions of those pure sport bikes.

With that all in mind, for those of you with sport/naked bikes, how does the T7 compare on road.  Does it bring a smile to your face?  On weekends when hitting the road (not dirt) do you still take the T7 or do you jump on your sport bike?    How is the T7 on a good twisty road?

I 100% think the T7 could be a great jack of all trades and would prefer to have the Swiss Army of bikes that could cover any occasion, as long as it covers the 90% it will be used for the very well.   There is zero inventory of anything but KTMs it seems like, so I'm not in a rush, but just want to have a plan if something does arise.

Would love to hear your feedback and experiences, it could go a long way to helping me make a final decision in platform.

Thanks much,

Hawk.

• Like 1

Hawk,

I hate to try to give people advice on buying bikes.  As a former instructor/owner of a local MSF training facility, and a rider for over 55 yrs, I realize that there is no accounting for taste--especially in bikes. 

OK, that disclaimer is out of the way.

I've only had my T7 for a month and only 1200 miles.  So, far I've found that it eats gravel roads with ease.  Poorly paved backroads are a joy thanks to the supple long travel suspension.  And, although I've only done a few highways for no more than an hour at a time, the wind protection is very good (no helmet buffeting with a Scorpion EXO), and no engine vibrations at any speed (not exceeded 80mph yet). 

My last bike was a GS that I rode just over 100k miles.  I also have a DRZ that I use for dual sport riding, a KTM250 for woods, and a vintage TY250.  No ONE bike will do everything.  I believe the T7 is the closest thing to a "do everything" bike I've found.  Hope I helped and not hindered

• Like 6

@hawk45  I came from a Yamaha FJ-09 and traded that in on the T7 just this past December.  I've only ridden the T7 a few hundred miles so far.  I think for me I will enjoy the T7 when I can explore off pavement.  Time will tell if I get to use the T7 like I hope to.  Anytime I'm only doing pavement riding I will miss the FJ-09.   That bike had one of the most enjoyable motors, had me smiling every time I rode it.

Honestly all the things you describe in your post seem to point to a street oriented bike, not a dual sport.  Yes you could setup the T7 to be more street oriented but if that's your focus then there are plenty of bikes already centered on that type of riding.  If you can....go test ride a FJ-09, turn off traction control, make sure to cover the rear brake, and enjoy!  :)

• Like 3

Right now I've got things semi-narrowed to the MT-09 to keep things light and compact.  I've also looked at the Triumph Street Triple, but I've got history with Yamaha and trust them, so I lean this way.  I've not checked out the FJ/Tracer series as I thought they may be a much bigger bike than I'm looking for, but will revisit that just to be sure.   

If I had the choice of one bike only ... I've made it.  And happy with it.  I could ride all day and it will do everything I ask of it, be it bitumen, gravel or whatever.  Oh and more than capable of grin inducing twisty road sessions.  If it was all road and riding hard I'd give my suspension some preload but that's all and that would depend on individual choice a little too.

• Like 3

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

you are already on the Tenere forum, might as well buy the bike.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, hawk45 said:

"do you still take the T7"

YES (in my opinion)!

I have 350cc dual-sport bikes and a big ST1100 Sport-tour bike, but my favorite one to ride the way you described is my old 1989 Honda Transalp (600cc v-twin), 450 pounds just like the T7's. I have been waiting since Feb. for my T7 to show up, so honestly I have not road one yet... Still the size and weight is perfect for just everyday screwing around. You don't need noth'n bigger/faster, and a smaller bike makes a 200 mile day less than pleasurable. The other bikes do have a place in my garage, It is a really good feeling to have a choice, but if I only had one it would be a midsize bike that I could still pick up if I dropped it.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

5 hours ago, hawk45 said:

Hi all,

In my search for a new bike I'm really trying to be honest with myself about the type of riding I will be doing.  While I would love to have the time to do these magical YouTube'esque across the country and around the world rides, the reality of the use of this bike will be mostly after work and weekend riding on back roads for enjoyment.  I'm not going to take a T7 to our semi-local off-road park either b/c that place scares the #### out of me with all the 4WD ADVs that fly around there.  Most other trail riding in Ohio is pretty technical too, wet clay, LOTS of trees and 90 degrees and 100% humidity and no breeze most of the summer.  Not ideal for tossing a 450lb dirt bikeish around.. I did it for years with DR and always seemed more fun than it ended up being.   Even if I get the opportunity to do some real travel with the bike, distances will probably be more like 200-500 miles max each way, mostly senic backroads as much as possible.  Not a fan of highways on bikes.  I have a Roadstar that can do it, but it's not enjoyable, not much highway scenery where I live.  Out west, sure.. Ohio, not so much, unless you are fascinated by flat fields of corn and soy.   The T7 looks like a great all around bike, but I've also been looking at the upright naked sport bikes.   I do not want a big 500 lb "ADV" or sport touring bike,  I'm sub 50 yrs old and maybe one will be in the future, but not quite yet.   I want something fun and quick on the road more purposed for bringing smiles as it leans into a corner or as the throttle is cracked open vs comfort for long distance riding.   I'm not interested in a full track bike either, been there done that and back/wrists/age disagree with the riding positions of those pure sport bikes.

With that all in mind, for those of you with sport/naked bikes, how does the T7 compare on road.  Does it bring a smile to your face?  On weekends when hitting the road (not dirt) do you still take the T7 or do you jump on your sport bike?    How is the T7 on a good twisty road?

I 100% think the T7 could be a great jack of all trades and would prefer to have the Swiss Army of bikes that could cover any occasion, as long as it covers the 90% it will be used for the very well.   There is zero inventory of anything but KTMs it seems like, so I'm not in a rush, but just want to have a plan if something does arise.

Would love to hear your feedback and experiences, it could go a long way to helping me make a final decision in platform.

Thanks much,

Hawk.

I'll tell you a secret. This bike freaking rocks in the twisties. Lots of trails where I live and one of em takes me up in the Boise Foothills and up to a ski hill. The pavement road down from the Ski hill to Boise a very curvy motorcycle road. I used to time myself coming down that road on my R-6 and with the stock tires (awesome for the road by the way) I get to the bottom of that road only 45 seconds slower than I was on my R-6. This bike is a freaking hoot on the pavement and in the twisties. But unlike the R-6, Im comfortable.  Its a comfortable bike that is good off road, but freaking awesome on the pavement. I pass sportbikes with these stock tires. The Pirelli Scorpian STR's blow my mind in the twisties. Im scraping freaking pegs and laughing my ass off up in the canyons. 

And when Im not hauling ass, Im getting 56 MPG around town. Sitting up straight, comfortable.  Hopping curbs. Try that on a sport bike.

All things considered, best bike I have ever owned. Not the best at anything, but does everything really well. 

• Like 5

Hi Hawk,

Like you, my preferred rides are twisty scenic backroads. But where I live, that means that they're not well maintained, ie, bumpy and rough.

I sold my street bike because it would get too unsettled when I tried to have some fun. The T7 works much better, but I've had to adjust my technique to compensate for the weight bias of it's dirt-oriented chassis.  

That being said, I wish that Yamaha offered a 17" x 19" wheel (tubeless!) option. And I'd love to find some  lower handlebar risers! 

Good luck 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, this is really helping.

@YoGuy  I was thinking that could make this an amazing do all with a tire/wheel swap.   Supermoto like wheels for the big twin would be pretty cool, if needed.   Sounds like @Cruizin is able to turn some awesome times with the factory setup which has me pretty excited.   Roads around here are fairly smooth but we do have our share of potholes being right in the weather band where get a little snow but mostly ice.  So they chuck that horrible salt all over the place and just eats the roads up.  

Mi choices:

Paved road, twisties, highway, touring: Tiger 1050 2016 up. Fantastic triple. Very good torque at low revs and it goes up to 10,000 rpm smoothly and it never ends pulling. Very stable at high speed and very sport,y but with a confortable riding position.

For dirt roads, single tracks not too slow speed and open sand - Tenere 700. It also rides great in the city.

After owning several differeng bikes ( styles, weithg, engine sizes ), these are the two bikes I ride at present.  ( A im getting older and loosing strength, so weithg is becoming an important issue ).

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 5/10/2021 at 11:03 AM, hawk45 said:

Thanks for all the replies, this is really helping.

@YoGuy  I was thinking that could make this an amazing do all with a tire/wheel swap.   Supermoto like wheels for the big twin would be pretty cool, if needed.   Sounds like @Cruizin is able to turn some awesome times with the factory setup which has me pretty excited.   Roads around here are fairly smooth but we do have our share of potholes being right in the weather band where get a little snow but mostly ice.  So they chuck that horrible salt all over the place and just eats the roads up.  

@hawk45 You mentioned a SM setup, so you might rummage through these threads for ideas and feedback.  I built a DRZ SM setup which provided more smiles than a sport bike did, so guessing the T700 would be a great platform as well.  

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@AZJW Thanks for those links, I'll give them both a good read.   Cheers!

Sounds like you are really after a more road oriented bike. The T7 sits tall, for off road ground clearance. Therefore it is tall and top heavy and for your envisaged riding use becomes negatives! It is a pity that Yamaha doesn't make a more road oriented version of the T7.

BMW currently makes a 750gs and prior to this a 700gs both have tubeless 19 inch front alloy rims and both sit lower than their off road 850gs and 800gs respectively.  Also they have slightly less  suspension travel reducing wallowing suspension. These are positives for your riding intentions.

Also, Triumph does the same for there mid sized range. Just a pity that you have to swap out your wheels for a more road oriented bike. 

Edited by Louis
  • Like 2

Your call. Nothing so good that it isn’t bad.

Nothing bad that it isn’t partly good.

• Like 1

To be honest, for the riding you plan on doing, almost any bike is suitable. Body position, looks and engine "feel" are basically the parameters to decide on. I like sitting upright, I like the narly looks and the engine is fine (not spectacular, but that's not what it's meant for).  And it will go anywhere. My T7 - now with 15k+ on the odo- is very capable, comfy and fun, and I'll ride it to the end of the world. Having said that, I also love my Griso 1200, which has a completely different riding position, engine feel and character (Prima Donna). It's a different kind of fun. I use that for day or weekend trip on good pavement without too much luggage,  and when I do I get a smile on my face any time I start it. 

In your case: try out some bikes and buy the one which puts the biggest smile on your face and its comfortable enough to ride the distances you do. 

• Like 1

I was in the same position as you over the winter. I live an hour or two by highway from any decent dirt and have work/family responsibilities where I can't make that trip too often. I was originally leaning towards an MT-09 but realized I would miss riding off-road and read that the T7 is pretty damn good on-road as well.

About 2000kms later and I'm very happy with my choice. The T7 is excellent on and off-road. I make time now to do the longer trips by re-arranging my schedule because of how fun it is.

That being said, if your really don't like going on highways and don't think you'll be doing any real dirt, then I would get the MT-09. The T7 always puts a smile on your face when you ride and open up the throttle, but it's a tall and heavy bike compared to the MT-09, with less power. It's also more expensive. If I was 100% sure I wasn't doing dirt/highways, MT-09 (or perhaps the new R7) would be my choice.

• Like 1

Most guys have said it and I agree, the T7 is one of the best "do it all" bikes I have ever owned with the exception of 1 maybe and it is a close second. My 2018 Ducati Desert Sled. That bike is very similar to a T7 in that it is a more upright seating, good suspension travel and a good torquey motor that is fun.

Both of these bikes make great backroad/twisty huligans and are very capable offroad. I will say the T7 is the more "dirtbike" like and the Ducati is more like a motard. I have ridden both on the same gravel roads and trails now, both have the same Scorpion tires for now and I have a hard time deciding which one to take. Comes down to sound, what beautiful sound do I want to hear that day? Desmo awesomeness or CP2 winding up and roaring?

I like being able to go down the highway in comfort at 80mph or hit back roads and "motard" it. Hit gravel or hard pack roads and jump curbs and stuff when I want-Most bikes, that becomes hard to do. 

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 1

I haven't gotten my T7 yet (it finally arrived at a warehouse and is on it's way), but I've been struggling on whether to trade my 2014 FJR1300 in when I buy the T7.  I think I'm going to keep it, though.  Too much of a downside trading it in. 

The FJR is great at two-up and highway travel, just not what I want in a backroad commuter.  I think the T7 is going to be perfect for that, and hitting the dirt roads that are in abundance around where I live. 

Multiple bikes for multiple purposes are a nice option, if you can swing it.  Like I said, I don't have my T7 yet, but if I could only have one of the two, I'd take the T7 even before I've had a chance to ride it.  I believe it will be the right tool for 95% of the riding I do.  I'd rather compromise on the 5% than the 95%.

• Like 1

I'm sure the track guys will love that news.   Myself, I don't enjoy the traditional bent over/clip-on style full-faring sport bikes, they are built for 1 purpose, and comfort is not that purpose.   Back in my 20's I had a YZF-600R for commuting.  And while it wasn't as cramped and aggressive as the R6, after the 40 mile ride to work, my back, hips and wrists were sore.  Took that summer to convince me to sell it off and move to cruisers (outside of dirt bikes) and that's where I've stayed.   The options in nakes, motards and ADV bikes is what has me looking to move to a new style for my primary and enjoyment bike.

spacer.png

Edited by hawk45

Wife and I have one each. We ride road and gravel road, very few tracks. But we both rode enduro for a while so we arent too bad at them.

The T7 is really awesome for us in that its a big bike, stable and smooth, but still not a really massive bike, still feels nimble and manageable. Think of more as a go anywhere bike...you dont need to be an enduro rider to enjoy it. Its smooth and powerful enough to get plenty of fines and handles so much better than you expect it to. If you're good enough i dont see many people beating you in the mountain roads.

I aim for the hills and small roads, so I would buy this bike again for sure.

If i was sitting on an interstate for 000s of KM i would find something else...eg FJR1300

Edited by JimmyTheHuman
  • Like 1