Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear seat lock stuck

djbriane

Question

Hey all! So I just got back from the dealer after reluctantly having them do the first service and of course they screwed something up..

I am no longer able to unlock the rear seat with the key to release the latch (the key turns a bit but not all the way like it used to). Anyone have any tips on freeing a stuck latch when the key won't turn fully? 

Thanks in advance!

Brian

8 answers to this question

@djbriane push down on the rear seat to release pressure on the latch.  Turn key with pressure applied to seat and you should get the key to turn all the way and the latch will release.

Edited by zaskar
add user name
  • Like 1

@zaskar Thanks! I have definitely tried this with no luck so far. The other potential issue is the bike sat out in the rain before I picked it up so I'm going to see if it frees up after letting it dry out a bit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, djbriane said:

@zaskar Thanks! I have definitely tried this with no luck so far. The other potential issue is the bike sat out in the rain before I picked it up so I'm going to see if it frees up after letting it dry out a bit. 

I think I remember mine being a little finicky once or twice and what I suggested worked for me.  Hope you get it resolved!

Also try wiggling it up and down at the back of the seat while turning the key.  If it doesn't let go, maybe try a squirt of lubricant in the key slot as the key maybe the culprit.  Good luck.  Let us know what works. 

Bizarre - so one of the bolts that holds the cowl in place came loose and got lodged into the locking mechanism. I pulled the seat up a bit and pushed it out of the way which freed up the lock. Not sure that will be of use to anyone else but I'm glad its sorted out. Will throw some locktite on those bolts just in case that happens again!

Thanks for the help @zaskar and @Landshark!

• Like 4