Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

snorkel replacement/removal?

jdk2man

Question

I ordered the 2wdw flash, but before I send in the ecu, I want to remove the snorkel as they highly recommend it.

What do most of you replace it with?

Just leave it off?

Add some type of prefilter?

Hopefully something not too expensive.

thanks in advance.

13 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

Quite possibly the most absurdly  expensive option.

But a good one...

Uni filter foam under. No worries about off roading in even the dirtiest conditions. 

64633F64-A653-4F5C-9C1D-FE7F477C202E.jpeg

Hey Hammer, Can't quite tell what we are looking at there.

Is it two of the same foam filters, one facing up and one facing the normal way down and then an after market airbox top plate?

Anything else that is a bit cheaper? Anyone just leave it open?

Are you riding in dirty/dusty conditions? Or street? I wouldn't run it open if you are riding off-road in dusty/dirty conditions. Uni Filter (Aussie) is a much better solution (but more$$) for severe dusty/dirty conditions.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Removed my snorkel. Running open, with oem filter. Will eventually get a screening/prefilter setup.

3 hours ago, jdk2man said:

Anything else that is a bit cheaper? Anyone just leave it open?

I mean, sure it’s kind of expensive for what it is... OR it’s cheap insurance. You decide! 

Edited by Burner

17 hours ago, jdk2man said:

I ordered the 2wdw flash, but before I send in the ecu, I want to remove the snorkel as they highly recommend it.

What do most of you replace it with?

Just leave it off?

Add some type of prefilter?

Hopefully something not too expensive.

thanks in advance.

Cheapest?

Remove snorkel and cut out the opening larger like the other suggestions.  Clean up edges so they're smooth.

J

Quite possibly the most absurdly  expensive option.

But a good one...

Uni filter foam under. No worries about off roading in even the dirtiest conditions. 

64633F64-A653-4F5C-9C1D-FE7F477C202E.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Wizbang said:

Hey Hammer, Can't quite tell what we are looking at there.

Is it two of the same foam filters, one facing up and one facing the normal way down and then an after market airbox top plate?

twin-air-air-filter-cage-yamaha-tenere-7

Buy a Twin Air Air Filter + Cage Yamaha Tenere 700 (2020). Worldwide Shipping.

Twin Air solution. Stupidly pricey, but quality & effective. 

• Like 1

Twin Air looks like more money than the Uni Filter delivered from Aussie with 2 spare outer elements...with the same filtering ability.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Just leave snorkel off, you only need it if riding in severe fine sand areas. In that situation you can also use foam on the snorkel tip.

For filters, i prefer the MWR filter from our very own @BellissiMoto . Its large and rectangle, and has great air flow and filtration, like a dirtbike filter. It comes preoiled and is easy to clean and re oil. People who say that foam filters aren't good don't realize that every single dirtbike in the world use oiled foam air filters and are superior to paper filters in dirt. they dont clog up like paper filters do and are reuseable. I have two MWR filters on hand and always have a clean and oiled one in a ziplock bag. 

• Like 3

On 5/18/2021 at 7:07 PM, Cruizin said:

Just leave snorkel off, you only need it if riding in severe fine sand areas. In that situation you can also use foam on the snorkel tip.

For filters, i prefer the MWR filter from our very own @BellissiMoto . Its large and rectangle, and has great air flow and filtration, like a dirtbike filter. It comes preoiled and is easy to clean and re oil. People who say that foam filters aren't good don't realize that every single dirtbike in the world use oiled foam air filters and are superior to paper filters in dirt. they dont clog up like paper filters do and are reuseable. I have two MWR filters on hand and always have a clean and oiled one in a ziplock bag. 

Hey Cruizin, so we are ok to remove the snorkel and that is it?  Unless riding in said "fine sand areas"?  No need to replace filters?  I understand replacing filters, larger air intake etc etc gives better performance, but can the snorkel just be removed and you can ride away?  Sorry if this is a newbie question. 

You can do anything you want. But, the snorkel is the exact same size that came on my XS1100 airbox.