Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Comparing the Tenere 700 vs KTM Adventure R

SFRR

Like comparing the Toyota 4 runner vs a Range Rover. They both do the same things on and off road, but one costs a lot more than the other and has more features. 

Bang  for the buck , Tenere wins. Race , KTM wins.  Longevity, the CP-2 engine will win that one, judging by all of the high mileage 2014 FZ-07’s still running around. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Like comparing the Toyota 4 runner vs a Range Rover. They both do the same things on and off road, but one costs a lot more than the other and has more features. 

Bang  for the buck , Tenere wins. Race , KTM wins.  Longevity, the CP-2 engine will win that one, judging by all of the high mileage 2014 FZ-07’s still running around. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

My MT07 forum has a few over 60k miles and one over 80K miles.

zero engine failures reported Cept for an idiot who rode with no oil.

I've been wondering if down the road I should pick one salvage and keep it for parts replacement as I like this bike so much! 

The only thing predicted to slow me down riding it over time is age, and so long as I maintain to stay in shape that's many years off before i have to

"get a 250 for grocery runs."  😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

I've been wondering if down the road I should pick one salvage and keep it for parts replacement as I like this bike so much! 

The only thing predicted to slow me down riding it over time is age, and so long as I maintain to stay in shape that's many years off before i have to

"get a 250 for grocery runs."  😆

That's a ridiculous idea. The parts would stay in the shed and never get used. 😐

1085536115_T7Engine.thumb.jpg.3680f54982f1b0bb3567a2f78f68a6b4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...

Love how everyone keep hyping about 80k mileage, while 70-80% of bikers will get bored and change their bikes after max 5 years of ownership 🙂

Tenere is a capable, comfortable and fast road bike for fun on twisty roads and while lacking savage wheelie power it delivers fun due to it's chassis setup. I can be quick as hell on twisties, can chug around on high gear like riding a chopper if i want, or can do long miles without fatigue - all this make it better road bike... but take it offroad and you can only go slow and carefully compared to what you can do on KTM.

Riding tenere is good... it's stopping between other bikers where problem lays... you only get aproached by bikers not interested in power, adrenalin and hooning, and last time i was in biker cafe even Himalayan owner stop by for a chat, telling me how 60MPH is enough 🤣 and how Tenere is too expenssive (!!!).   I'm clearly not grown up enough for chats like this, and Tenere seems to be a "to go" bike if you cannot afford a big GS.

If you have tenere and hoping for a good brag with lads about wheelies, twisties, and offroad adrenalin - forget about it 🙂

But i do enjoy riding it on tarmac, and at 3400 miles of mileage i even started to getting use to the maximum abilities of her offroad, so i will stay with mine for usual 3 years, maybe longer.

but take it offroad and you can only go slow ……….😂

I think Pol Tarres would have a different option.

If you ride slow off road the chances are that’s down to your ability than any short comings in the bike. 

It’s easier to blame the equipment than ourselves, I’m not doubting the KTM has better off road suspension but it won’t make a poor rider good.

Pol Tarres suspension is not even close to stock, and it still bottoms out every time in this video... Would like t see the rims on this bike and internal of suspension... But you know - these guys get paid to ride the bikes wich are not their own, and the dont have to worry aboutt ruining suspension and wheels. Internet is full of videos with T7 and Africa twin riden by pro's... this does not mean average biker will be able to do this or... will be ble to rehaul suspension and change the wheels 🤣

Maybe i overexaggerated with slow (should say slow'ish), but... Front bottoms out every time you try to go fast in my opinion, and rear wind up to max preload is better on compression, but rebound damping is not coping anymore and you bounce like a rabbit... On standard suspension you setting yourself for ma massive crash or at least bent front rim. Forgot about any high speed jumps (only sharp, short jumps with max 10mph and low forward momentum are alright).

I'm hitting suspension limitation going on 70% of my skills, and i'm not an enduro legend like Tarres. I can carry on, but this is my own bike i paid for and i will have to repair it from my own pocket.

Over 26 years of my experience with enduro/adventure bikes only BMW F650 Dakar was worst offroad. Even Tenere 660 was better as there the rear shock was a problem, not front and this was easier to deal with.

To compare with stock KTM - i feel 990 Adventure S was better on fast offroad sections, but what need to be given to tenere is turning ability and low speed behaviour (on dry that is - on wet she is top heavy compared to 990).

I know all above could be sorted by investing 1600 GBP in suspension, but then we ae in same price range as KTM 790R and we are still missing 20 BHP, but this is anoter topic.

I love the Tenere, but i'm not afraid to point out where this bike is lacking. It's cheap and i know why.

Edited by Bartek

I read Tarres only changed springs & oil, it sounds like you have more info. Can you share it?

The reference to Tarres was just to emphasise what is possible with a lot of talent. 

The type of riding limitations you are describing is probably only reached by a few percentage of T7 riders but a lot might falsely believe the first thing the T7 needs is a full suspension rework before it’s taken off road.

This Pol Tarres fella is pretty talented. He is what I think I am, but it truth I am a fat old man that would soil my undies if I ever attempted anything like what is shown on the video.

The stock T7 is more than enough for me these days, and I realistically will getting slower each year until I am dead and stationary.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~