Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Removing the shifter lever

Farscape

Question

I just can’t figure out how to get a 5mm Allen on the bolt holding the shifter lever to remove it for lubrication!

it looks like I may have to remove that whole silver frame piece with the kick stand and foot peg just to get to it. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Farscape

8 answers to this question

Doesn’t answer your question but I’m kinda anti any kind of grease on things like that. 
One of those once you grease it you will always have to clean and grease it. 
Kinda like chainsaw bar tips if you’re familiar. 
I’d hit with some spray dry lube (without disassembling) and leave it alone. 

1 hour ago, Farscape said:

I just can’t figure out how to get a 5mm Allen on the bolt holding the shifter lever to remove it for lubrication!

it looks like I may have to remove that whole silver frame piece with the kick stand and foot peg just to get to it. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

I removed the shift linkage from the shift shaft up top.  This way you can swing it and the shift lever out of the way and have easier access to the area. I also cut the short end of the Allen to make it a bit shorter.  I think I cut it down to around 15mm long.  

It is a real pain to access for sure.  The bolt uses a 6mm Allen not a 5mm.

When I was done I thought it might be easier to just remove the entire aluminum bracket as well.

Lots of locktite on the bolt makes it a real pain to remove as well.  Cleaned it and never used locktite when replaced.  Don't really see the need for locktite on that bolt.

Do the rear brake pivot as well.  Both are bone-dry from factory.

0D7D91FC-F9F0-4B48-9EA2-C48147B3EA25.jpeg

3D04AD58-7FCF-4803-8416-F419FA1F5523.jpeg

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 1

I prefer to peel back the rubber boot and spray a little lubricant in there instead of disassembly.  Works well and it's soooo much easier.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Landshark said:

I prefer to peel back the rubber boot and spray a little lubricant in there instead of disassembly.  Works well and it's soooo much easier.

Shush he’s busy creating problems and more work over something that’s a non issue. 
Needs no lube other than maybe a quick squirt with some dry lube occasionally. 
once there’s grease that means dirt sticks and everything else that follows 

aka you gotta take it apart and clean and re grease it 

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I used Dri Slide to lube the pivot points on the shift and brake levers.

Bike_Aid_Film_Lubricant__dri-slide_.jpg

Dri-Slide Bike Aid Film Lubricant creeps into the smallest spaces. This unique dry film won't attract dirt or dust, is highly resistant to water, and …

No disassembly required👍

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 6:33 PM, mpatch said:

Doesn’t answer your question but I’m kinda anti any kind of grease on things like that. 
One of those once you grease it you will always have to clean and grease it. 
Kinda like chainsaw bar tips if you’re familiar. 
I’d hit with some spray dry lube (without disassembling) and leave it alone. 

Well that will only work for a short time. The super Ténéré linkage is the same in you ride in dusty condition the bike will become hard to shift. I’ve actually used a chapstick to lube the shifter pivot when on a long trip.

I got it all sorted guys. Thanks for all the advice. Shortened a 6mm allen a bit and with some patience got the shift lever off and lubed as I wanted. I also took care of the brake pedal.

Peace of mind for me.

• Like 3