Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hello from Kelowna, BC!

TeabagInsurance

Hi!

I've been lusting over a T7 ever since watching POL TARRÉS - THE SEEKER MOVIE and the T7 review by FortNine. Prior to that, I've been wanting a dual sport or light ADV bike that is more well rounded than my KTM 400 EXC, as it's uncomfortable on highways, has poor range, and has poor luggage capabilities. I wanted something that I can still do single and double track on, but also do back country camping and some touring on. Insert the T7.

Earlier this month I sold my FZ1, 400 EXC, and 525 EXC (dirt only). I spent some time hunting around for a white-red T7, but T7s were sold out everywhere within a 5 hour drive, and the closest place with a T7 in stock didn't have white-red, and they were absolutely gouging the price (OTD would have been $2-3k more than most places).

I ended up finding a dealer that is admittedly further away, roughly 7 hours drive, in Calgary. They don't have a white-red in stock either, but have an order of 9 coming in, and only one of them was not spoken for. Needless to say, I immediately put down a deposit on it. Although it's in Alberta, the upside is that there is less tax and the OTD price is better than any place I found in BC. They are hoping that the shipment will arrive by the end of next month. It goes without saying that I am too.

For now, I have already started to prepare mods for the bike. Some I have received already, some not, but here is where I'm at so far:

Spoiler

Dirt Racks rear pannier rack
Dirt Racks rear tail rack
Dirt Racks engine crash bars

Camel ADV auxiliary fuel tank
Camel ADV anti-bobble-head
Camel ADV tail tidy

FXCNC shorty levers
Tufeng LED turn signals (cheap Chinese ones from Amazon)
Railside Performance OEM to 10mm adapters for the LED signals

LED flasher relay

Oxford Premium Adventure heated grips

I'm considering getting the Camel ADV high exhaust as well, but that's largely just because I want the mid-pipe and higher mount as the way that the stock muffler mounts to the subframe concerns me. I'm hoping that they end up releasing a partial kit so that you can relocate the stock muffler. We'll see how long I end up holding out on that for. I'm also not convinced I care enough to get an aftermarket skid plate. I might see how the Dirt Racks crash bars help in protecting the lower components before splurging on a new skid plate.

Anyhow... glad to see a thriving community for this bike already. Looking forward to the stay!

Edited by TeabagInsurance
Added spoiler

Welcome!

We really are spoiled by choices to bling up our T7s. A couple of recommendations: 

• Good handgaurds as the stock ones are only adequate for wind protection. 
  • Doubletake mirrors may look kinda fugly, but they offer good protection from the danger of a tipover resulting in a broken clutch or brake mount. And they're unrivaled rear visibility. 
  • CamelADV clutch arm. The stock clutch activation zone is more like a switch. 

I love my CamelADV high exhaust. It saves probably 5 lbs, and makes the bike sound great. Even without the decibel killer installed, it would hardly be considered loud. 

Cheers from the island

44 minutes ago, YoGuy said:

Welcome!

We really are spoiled by choices to bling up our T7s. A couple of recommendations: 

• Good handgaurds as the stock ones are only adequate for wind protection. 
  • Doubletake mirrors may look kinda fugly, but they offer good protection from the danger of a tipover resulting in a broken clutch or brake mount. And they're unrivaled rear visibility. 
  • CamelADV clutch arm. The stock clutch activation zone is more like a switch. 

I love my CamelADV high exhaust. It saves probably 5 lbs, and makes the bike sound great. Even without the decibel killer installed, it would hardly be considered loud. 

Cheers from the island

I've heard both of those bits of feedback about the friction zone on the clutch pull as well as the hand guards, so they've been considerations as well. The clutch arm seems like a pretty penny for what appears to be such a rudimentary item. The plan was to see how much it bothers me when I get the bike. Another concern is if it will fit with the Dirt Racks engine crash bars that I ordered, as it says on the page that it doesn't fit with the Yamaha OEM engine crash bars.  I might just wait until my hand guards get damaged until I replace the OEM ones, but that's a good call on the mirrors, so I might order a set after all!

Welcome.

I spoke with my local (small) Yamaha dealer, and he has ordered another 4 T7's in March, and said he isn't likely to see them until late August. All are sold. Good luck on your delivery.

As for the clutch, how big are your hands? I wear an XL sized glove and the stock clutch is one finger easy. First 1000kms were a bit stiff (2 fingers), but the next 9000kms have been fine.

I would recommend a skid plate. Camel's is nice. I would buy an AXP Racing one if I were to do it again. I have an Outback Mototek. If you are keeping the stock headers (sounds like it), the CAT is VERY exposed with the stock skid for BC conditions. I've ridden a bunch of the trunk roads east of you along Arrow Lake/Castlegar/Kaslo etc, and while they are not too bad, the rocks WILL beat up the stock skid and then your CAT. Ran the old Grey Creek trail (not the road) last year and beat up my skid a fair bit to the point where it was pressing hard against the CAT. Likewise, Barkbusters (or similar) would be a minimum in my opinion. If you are running any sort of rack for bags/luggage, the stock exhaust/hanger is fine as the rack will likely take the brunt in a tip over. If not, you will most definitely bend the stock mount. 

Other than that, the rest is largely personalization. Great bike. Enjoy!

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Welcome from the wet coast desert dweller,

Good luck getting your hands on one before too long. Second the fact that you won’t  get too far off road before wanting to upgrade the stock aluminum foil skid plate. Plenty to choose from but precious few offer linkage protection & a 5th mounting point to take some load off the potentially fragile foot peg castings.  Though stock clutch pull is tolerable, there’s been no regrets splurging on camel’s quality improvement that’s genuinely reduced it to a 1 finger finesse control with wider friction zone.  Stock hand guards deflect little more than air & offer levers almost no protection. 

Enjoy the new unit!

1 hour ago, Canzvt said:

Welcome.

I spoke with my local (small) Yamaha dealer, and he has ordered another 4 T7's in March, and said he isn't likely to see them until late August. All are sold. Good luck on your delivery.

As for the clutch, how big are your hands? I wear an XL sized glove and the stock clutch is one finger easy. First 1000kms were a bit stiff (2 fingers), but the next 9000kms have been fine.

I would recommend a skid plate. Camel's is nice. I would buy an AXP Racing one if I were to do it again. I have an Outback Mototek. If you are keeping the stock headers (sounds like it), the CAT is VERY exposed with the stock skid for BC conditions. I've ridden a bunch of the trunk roads east of you along Arrow Lake/Castlegar/Kaslo etc, and while they are not too bad, the rocks WILL beat up the stock skid and then your CAT. Ran the old Grey Creek trail (not the road) last year and beat up my skid a fair bit to the point where it was pressing hard against the CAT. Likewise, Barkbusters (or similar) would be a minimum in my opinion. If you are running any sort of rack for bags/luggage, the stock exhaust/hanger is fine as the rack will likely take the brunt in a tip over. If not, you will most definitely bend the stock mount. 

Other than that, the rest is largely personalization. Great bike. Enjoy!

I'm 6'2" @ 210lbs and my hand size is usually either XL or XXL.

I think I will be jimmy rigging some luggage cases out of ammo cans from Princess Auto or something I think unless I can find some second hand ones at a reasonable price. I do have the Dirt Racks pannier rack. Proper brand name luggage cases are just SO expensive...

What is it about the AXP Racing skid plate that would make you purchase it over the Camel ADV one?

45 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

Welcome from the wet coast desert dweller,

Good luck getting your hands on one before too long. Second the fact that you won’t  get too far off road before wanting to upgrade the stock aluminum foil skid plate. Plenty to choose from but precious few offer linkage protection & a 5th mounting point to take some load off the potentially fragile foot peg castings.  Though stock clutch pull is tolerable, there’s been no regrets splurging on camel’s quality improvement that’s genuinely reduced it to a 1 finger finesse control with wider friction zone.  Stock hand guards deflect little more than air & offer levers almost no protection. 

Enjoy the new unit!

I'm really hoping I don't end up going the whole summer without a bike at this point :(.

I keep hearing about the AXP Racing skid plate being good (from above, and elsewhere) in terms of coverage and looks, but then I also see people showing concern over it being made of plastic. I also see a lot of SW Motech and Camel ADV ones as well. Any in particular that you would recommend?

It's very likely I'll be upgrading the skid plate and hard guards, but I've probably already spent more than I can afford on mods in addition to the bikes cost, so chance are they'll get punted on to the list of stuff to buy next year.

Also considering getting the ECU flashed next year. 2 Wheel DynoWorks is based near Seattle just across the border. We'll see if the border is open next year... I might just ride down there and get it flashed same day.

My first priority would be the rear spring.

I weigh about the same as you, and the 95Nm spring from Rally-raid made a huge difference. It transformed the bike, even though it rarely leaves the pavement! 

The problem was (apparently) that my weight put the shock to deep in the stroke, where high speed compression damping is high, giving it a very harsh ride. Also, the back tended to wallowing in longer corners, as it travelled through it's range. Anyways, it now can really carve up my favorite twisty roads, frost heaves, bumps and all. 

The front springs work OK on-road, but show a little too much brake dive in low speed maneuvers. So far they are tolerable, but I'll be upgrading them before I try any techincal ADV stuff.    

Regarding the AXP bash plate: it offers excellent protection, but I find it a PITA to mount. Aligning the little screws through thick  black plastic into the black holes in the frame, tries my patience every time I do an oil change. Just saying, there's lots of choices - I might do it differently next time.  

Yup, buying a T7 is like taking on a mistress. Not for the light of wallet!

Far as I’m aware AXP & Camel bash plates are the only 2 sporting both that 5th rear mount combined with linkage protection. (Could be wrong??) No experience with the plastic unit, but did see one vid where it was cracked at that rear mount & then successfully repaired. 
   Have an early version of the Camel unit mounted & it’s definitely serving designed purpose well. See he’s recently modified it to accommodate the euro 5 exhaust. Don’t know if the earlier models will still be available, but either way, it’s a quality piece. 
     2WDW ECU flash wasn’t a disappointment either, definitely some notable improvements. (save for the increased fuel consumption)

Get your arse in the saddle first & see what suits you best. Plenty of upgrade options, but many are purely subjective &/or frivolous.

Guessing at your stature & list of previous bikes you’ll likely find the stock suspension a bit underwhelming.

Based upon your budget comments above, I left out a bunch of things...but as @HammerHead and @YoGuy said, spend some money on at least a spring. I'm 6-2, 240 ready to ride with all gear and carry an extra 4L of fuel via RotoPax. Buy the spring, and go to CanTire and buy some spring compressors (or better yet, find a buddy/local shop to swap them) and you'll be much happier. For an even better investment, spend a couple of grand (that's what it cost me) for the full suspension rebuild (RR 35mm Big Piston Fork Kit with 6.4KG.mm springs), 9.5kg.mm rear spring, shock re-valve (Blackfoot Motorsports in Calgary) for the spring and set up the preload for your weight and it will ride much like a shorter legged version of your old 525. Makes crash landings MUCH smoother. I'm finding myself looking for approaches to jump when I'm out riding backroads, just to get some airtime...😀

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...