Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Shock preload adjuster stuck or seized

Uncle M

Question

Just noticed my OEM shock's preload adjuster knob is stuck or seized. Was fine last fall when I adjusted back to single rider without panniers, but it won't turn now. Google suggests dirt or crud in behind the adjuster knob. Has anyone experienced this with this or other bikes, and if so, did you just have to dismantle and clean to get it working again?

Haven't removed the shock to see what's up yet. Thx for any suggestions.

5 answers to this question

@Goldentaco @MikeCMP and @whisperquiet A quick fix without having to take it apart!! Sprayed a little silicone lubricant in under the knob, turned it a bit, sprayed some more, etc. That freed it up so then turned to full hard then back to full soft, and reset at 3 clicks of preload. Not much room under the knob so I think just a bit of grit got in there. All good!

• Like 4

Can you put it on a jack or center stand to take the load off the suspension and try turning it?

You’ll need to do that to remove the shock as well, at least. The adjust just turns a collar that adds preload, I’ve never have one of these kind apart myself. If it won’t turn with no load, I’m not sure you next steps.

Mike

• Like 1

I would spray the adjuster with PB Blaster or similar.  Also, don’t know if you have a center stand but the shock adjuster should be adjusted with no load on the shock.  I have had my adjuster off the shock body for a spring change.   Yours is probably jammed up with some grit.  

@MikeCMP and @whisperquiet No centerstand. I use a Trail Stand, but just noticed this yesterday so haven't tried anything yet. Agree it's probably just grit jamming it, so will blast it first and then try turning it with the shock unloaded. If that doesn't work, I'll take the shock out and maybe confirm the adjuster is moving smoothly with the spring removed. I'd rather not take apart the adjuster mechanism itself, though Google located a how-to from the Stromtrooper website.

I'll update once the problem is solved!

1 hour ago, Uncle M said:

Just noticed my OEM shock's preload adjuster knob is stuck or seized. Was fine last fall when I adjusted back to single rider without panniers, but it won't turn now. Google suggests dirt or crud in behind the adjuster knob. Has anyone experienced this with this or other bikes, and if so, did you just have to dismantle and clean to get it working again?

Haven't removed the shock to see what's up yet. Thx for any suggestions.

I just tried for about a half hour to get the knob off the adjuster body.  I'm not sure how it's attached but i suspect it's a press fit or snaps on.  There is no screw holding it on like most other adjusters. 

Just be warned, there's at least one or two ball bearings that provide the detent "Clicks"  When that knob comes off,  those are likely to go flying.  If you lose them the adjuster should still work, it just won't click.

I'd try PB Blaster too and maybe try tapping the knob back onto the body while turning it.  Possibly one of the balls has dislodged.

As for adjusting the preload, it doesn't matter if you adjust it on a center stand or not.  BIke didnt' come with one stock and that adjuster doesn't care.

J

• Like 3