Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Test riding a T7 tomorrow.

Guys

Tomorrow will be the first time I’ve ever seen one in the flesh, pretty excited to say the least, maybe I should leave the credit card at home. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Guys said:

Tomorrow will be the first time I’ve ever seen one in the flesh, pretty excited to say the least, maybe I should leave the credit card at home. 

I have been waiting since February... where is this one located (wink).

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

15 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

I have been waiting since February... where is this one located (wink).

In a town on a road.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They’re going to let you test ride it? That’s awesome if they do. My dealer wouldn’t let me, no matter how much I asked. 

after I had signed and taken the keys they told me if I got to the end of the street and hated it I could bring it back, but that’s all I got. 

• Like 1

WHAT??? Why wouldn’t they let you test ride? Who buys a bike without a test ride? Do people buy cars without test driving too? How would you know if it was a “fit” or not? 

That’s nuts. I test ride bikes just for fun. That’s how I figure out what I like. 

Anyway, congrats @Guys, hope it goes well. 

• Like 1

Let us know the result!!!

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

After pulling off my helmet following the test ride on my T7, I told the seller "thank you for selling me this bike". Hope you all have the same great experience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DT675 said:

Who buys a bike without a test ride?

About half of the bikes I have ever bought I never test rode before as you usually don't get to test ride race bikes. I know you were referring to mostly street legal bikes I assume.

• Like 1

I had no intention or interest in the T7. At the Dirt Daze event last August, Yamaha and Triumph both had test rides. I rode every model they brought.  After riding the T7 I pulled my helmet off and said "Damn! now I need to buy this bike!".....Sold my KLR 2 weeks later then waited 8 months to get my hands on a T7....

No regrets....

Good Luck with the test ride....

• Like 3

My brother got lucky and found one just before Thanksgiving. I test rode it and knew it was what I wanted within  the first mile:

4B273D3F-7310-4608-AEB1-A170F7ED1140.jpeg

• Like 2

Well folks, the test ride is over and was absolutely fantastic, loved every second of it. What a bike, it’s made me want to hit the road even more.  Watched umpteen YouTube reviews but experiencing it first hand was superb. The gears, braking, handling just the overall feel of the bike just works for me, love it.  Big decision now is black/grey or white/red. Test ride bike in the pic. I could’ve kept on going and not returned it. Thanks for all the replies 😀

BDFB4C72-B113-4F32-B84E-9C4BDA6A5E0A.jpeg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, DT675 said:

Who buys a bike without a test

Well, I ordered the T7 without seeing one live. I watched the livestream of the presentation at the Bologna Bike Show and then wrote an email to a local store that they should send me a contract...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guys said:

Well folks, the test ride is over and was absolutely fantastic, loved every second of it. What a bike, it’s made me want to hit the road even more.  Watched umpteen YouTube reviews but experiencing it first hand was superb. The gears, braking, handling just the overall feel of the bike just works for me, love it.  Big decision now is black/grey or white/red. Test ride bike in the pic. I could’ve kept on going and not returned it. Thanks for all the replies 😀

BDFB4C72-B113-4F32-B84E-9C4BDA6A5E0A.jpeg

White/red gang 4 lyfe!

I've had many black and black/gray bikes as I'm generally not a fan of bright or vibrant colours, but something about these white/red T7s just resonates with me for a reason I can't explain. It just looks so clean.

Edited by TeabagInsurance
  • Like 1

I've rarely test ridden/driven any vehicle I ever bought. Much too analytical. Most of my decision making is based on specifications,  imperical and performance data compared to my needs/wants. I do take a measured consideration of the opinions of strangers who have no responsibility for my decisions.

As an annecdote, there was that time when I was keen for the Kawasaki Versys when it was just being released. Naturally I studied it ad nauseum, always being compared to the Suzuki V-Strom 650, which while comparable, didn't "look" as appealing. I finally go to sit on a Versys when the dealer got one - no test rides of course. Sorry to say say, I was nonplussed, dissapointedly so. There was a used V-Strom on the lot so I might as well sit on it. Looks or not, it felt like "my" bike. I didn't buy that one but I did buy one from a privatae seller and it was a darned good bike for me - extreemly comparable to the Versys, just a better fit.

To be fair, I did "test sit" on a Ténéré 700, and it felt very familiar, right in-between my other 2 Yamahas, so the test-sit didn't turn me off. Test ride from a motorcycle dealer, especially for a hot number like the T7? Forget about it. I'm very happy with my T7 based on my decision-making process. But if you need a test ride to tip the balance of your decision, by all means, do a test ride. After all, the Ténéré 700 is not for everyone - likely for most of the people on this forum - but not for everyone. That being said, I made a deal with a different dealer and put a deposit on the next one they got. Glad I did.

• Like 1

@Guys that’s awesome! I’ve got the black but would have liked to see the red in person. 

• Like 1

@Hogan @qInvention Yes their are exceptions. But those exceptions are taking a risk is what I’m saying. Anytime you purchase without a test ride it is a risk.  I’m glad your risks have so far worked out.  

A few years ago I “almost” bought a Yamaha MT07. I was absolutely sure that was the bike I wanted. Perfect specs. I found one to take for a test. I also tested a Triumph Street Triple the same day. I was sooo glad I didn’t buy the MT. It was not the bike for me. If I had, it would have been a mistake and it would have been settling. 

Test ride yesterday, loved it and will be getting one in the spring '22. 

I'll be adding some dog bone links to lift the rear end and an uprated spring for my huge body weight . I reckon I may then be the first bike I can't  flat foot when I stop...........I'm 6'5" tall 🤣

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DT675 said:

@Hogan @qInvention Yes their are exceptions. But those exceptions are taking a risk is what I’m saying.

Of course you're right! For me, this is an exception as I normally would test. But the T7 was an absolute emotional choice and I knew I wanted it from the moment the first rumours appeared that Yam was developping that bike. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DT675 said:

@Hogan @qInvention Yes their are exceptions. But those exceptions are taking a risk is what I’m saying. Anytime you purchase without a test ride it is a risk.  I’m glad your risks have so far worked out.  

A few years ago I “almost” bought a Yamaha MT07. I was absolutely sure that was the bike I wanted. Perfect specs. I found one to take for a test. I also tested a Triumph Street Triple the same day. I was sooo glad I didn’t buy the MT. It was not the bike for me. If I had, it would have been a mistake and it would have been settling. 

So you ended up buying the Street Triple then?

Years back I was lusting over a Street Triple for a while (also the red/white/gray one, ironically enough...) too, but wasn't in a great financial situation to be buying one, so I kept waiting. Eventually I bought a cheap EXC 400 dual sport project bike that I finished and that got me hooked on back country exploration and dual sporting. In the future when I have a garage and more disposable income, I might consider adding one to the stable again, but I'm picking up my T7 at the end of this week and I think I'll be content for quite some time.

I didn’t think my test ride post would instigate a discussion on whether test rides are required. At the end of the day we all have our own way. At least we all have one thing in common re T7’s, I just need to buy one now.

It did make me think though and I realised I’ve never actually arranged a test ride before, I’ve always bought second hand bikes which have been well used ie over 5 yrs old at least and from private sellers where test rides aren’t generally an option and I’ve always decided I wanted a particular style of bike then just gone for it, like my current bike the hypermotard 796, I fancied a super moto style, loved the Ducati styling so bought it without a test ride from a private seller. I think what’s different this time is maybe the dealer was only 30min bike ride away, so a good excuse to get out on my bike, not that I need one, I’ve never bought a ‘new’ bike so it’s a big purchase for me, they had a demonstrator I could use, 2 new ones in the showroom to look at, all different colour schemes, good excuse to check out another dealer showroom and just get general feedback chat from folk in the shop or maybe it’s because I’ll be riding it around the world so thought it be a good idea to touch it, feel it, ride it, size it up etc. Either way, I loved it and can’t wait to ride it. Thinking white/red is for me 😀🏍

• Like 3

I never test rode mine, I searched the net for a week, found 3 within 6 hrs, a couple in Phoenix,  made a deposit on a white one in Peoria, while tying to get a deal on a Black one with the Adventure pkg.  I ended up paying too much for the black one, but I’d do it again tomorrow!  
 Think I could return the OEM center stand for a full refund, it’s still in the un opened box? 

D4972274-B76F-4573-9632-8BA5B833C963.jpeg

7E3CA38B-C7C0-476D-A811-066007DD3211.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/31/2021 at 8:14 PM, WildBill said:

Think I could return the OEM center stand for a full refund, it’s still in the un opened box? 

If you have a decent dealer you should be able to.  Otherwise EBay!

On 5/30/2021 at 11:00 AM, TeabagInsurance said:

So you ended up buying the Street Triple then?

Years back I was lusting over a Street Triple for a while (also the red/white/gray one, ironically enough...) too, but wasn't in a great financial situation to be buying one, so I kept waiting. Eventually I bought a cheap EXC 400 dual sport project bike that I finished and that got me hooked on back country exploration and dual sporting. In the future when I have a garage and more disposable income, I might consider adding one to the stable again, but I'm picking up my T7 at the end of this week and I think I'll be content for quite some time.

Yes i did!  Still have it today. It’s my “go-to” street bike, probably one of the longest bike ownerships I've ever had (at like 3-4 years only LOL)  and i still love it. 

I think you will be content with the T7. If i could only have one bike and had to sell the rest, my T7 would be the last one standing in my garage due to its great versatility.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 11:11 PM, DT675 said:

WHAT??? Why wouldn’t they let you test ride? Who buys a bike without a test ride? Do people buy cars without test driving too? How would you know if it was a “fit” or not? 

That’s nuts. I test ride bikes just for fun. That’s how I figure out what I like. 

Anyway, congrats @Guys, hope it goes well. 

Thats exactly what i did.  Picked it up 5/28 after a 3 month wait after paying the deposit. 

20210528_114224.jpg

• Like 1