Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lifting your bike

Solitary1

Question

First post on the forum.What is everyone using to lift their bikes to remove the wheels when they don't have a centre stand?

12 answers to this question

Hi Solitary1

I buyed this:

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005001859971201.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6c0c4c4dDV76g8

Used only for test, baby game for rear wheel,  not easy to use for the front wheel (with axp bash plate).

For the front I fount it easyer to use it in reverse, the circular part on the bashplate.

cheers

• Moderators

@Solitary1Welcome to the forum. Moved this to Tech questions as per content. Searching "Lift" brought up this thread which might help answer your question.  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks,I bought a used lift the same as @Hogan has,it just seems unstable on this lift plus bending down to release the hydraulic pump and hold back the safety lock whilst holding the bike with one hand isn't ideal.It's not the first bike I've lifted but certainly isn't the most intuitive to make stable.

20 minutes ago, Solitary1 said:

Thanks,I bought a used lift the same as @Hogan has,it just seems unstable on this lift plus bending down to release the hydraulic pump and hold back the safety lock whilst holding the bike with one hand isn't ideal.It's not the first bike I've lifted but certainly isn't the most intuitive to make stable.

I have one the same or very similar to the one Hogan has.

The release is a foot pedal so you don’t bend down and the safety lock can be clipped up, to be honest I’ve never engaged it. Very stable and easy pump up and drop when standing holding the bike.

Are you sure you bought the same one?

It's similar,the release is a hand operated knob that needs turning,a release peddle would be hugely beneficial.

Edited by Solitary1

28 minutes ago, Solitary1 said:

It's similar,the release is a hand operated knob that needs turning,a release peddle would be hugely beneficial.

Ah, sounds like a slightly different design.

The I have, in picture, is really easy to use, very stable and you can move the bike around the garage floor once up.

10176006-9362-4DEE-B152-9BD8D026F61D.jpeg

• Like 2

VIVOHOME Steel Motorcycle ATV Scissor Lift Jack Crank Hoist Stand with Saddle and Safety Pins 1100 lbs

Adjust the height for precisely aligning the rear wheel, spacers, rear brake mount, and cush drive with the swingarm. so you can single handily push in the axle.

Remove the black frame lift points. Just use the red flat top to lift under the bash plate. At least put a couple layers of duct tape on top of the smooth metal lift surface or some skateboard tape, so the bike doesn't slide off.

61CeVriCApL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

T4vj8Wcl.jpg?1

Edited by REDHORSECA
  • Like 1

Or just hang it from the rafters with ratchet straps.

20 minutes ago, gone2seed said:

Or just hang it from the rafters with ratchet straps.

I'm going to have to take a picture of one of my patched up/repaired garage rafters for you lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One other point is the engine guard, I run the SW Motech one. It has a completely flat bottom surface.

The standard guard might be more curved so will be less stable on this type of lift.

6 minutes ago, REDHORSECA said:

I'm going to have to take a picture of one of my patched up/repaired garage rafters for you lol.

Another valid argument for lighter motorcycles!

I have the Camel Gut Guard and it helps immensely for lifting the bike on the motorcycle jack.  Without the Gut Guard, I position two pieces of wood on the jack.  One under the crankcase and one under the frame then I strap it down to the jack.  Still a bit wobbly at times and you must be careful at all times.