Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

I need a gas cap holder

Boondocker

Question

I'm pretty clever but not clever enough to have already figured this out.

Where to put my gas cap when I'm fueling so it won't fall down, get lost, or otherwise cause me any grief? I have this nightmare of my key getting broken off in the gas cap when it hits the ground.

There is nothing wrong with the cap on my Super Ténéré, so why couldn't they do the same for the Ténéré 700? I want to collectively slap Yamaha for this unfriendly gas cap arrangement.

I saw someone making a flip-up cap, which is the final answer, but what about in the mean time?

- Maybe some kind of handlebar bag to fit on my non-existent handlebar crossbar?

- A "clip-in doohickey" like on some automobile fuel cap doors?

-A tether?

I'd like to consider your bright idea if you don't mind sharing!

Thanks,

Boondocker

• Like 1

14 answers to this question

• Moderators

@BoondockerHere ya go.

20210601_191825.jpg

• Like 8

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I put a concertina lead on with a clip with my details on a name tag. Clip it to a cable and put the fuel cap on the ignition like everyone else does72A89FC8-454E-418E-980E-F56945E7F6C3.thumb.jpeg.14cff7234128e54ee3476b07e37f1069.jpeg

Edited by Southcoastbiker

Kinda spendy but I love mine.....flip up gas cap.  Very well made. 

rs=w:1200,h:1200

So this is our Hinged Fuel Cap Kit for the Tenere 700 T7 Already broken your original ? Dont want to break the original as you have found out how expensive they are ? Fed up trying to find somewhere to keep the cap safe...

• Like 1

I did this:

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

9 hours ago, Hogan said:

Dirt bikes don't have hinged caps.

True, but dirtbike gas caps are also alot lighter and can hang by the vent tube-no key to deal with

I bought the  T7 Rally cap and agree it is spendy, but not a thought anymore-well made and works perfectly.

When I first read that people did not like the  fuel cap I thought I would be in the same boat, although I would preferer a hinged one I have got used to it and have no problems at all. 

IMG_20210602_181955.jpg

• Like 1

sometimes I need to leave myself a reminder Too!

• Haha 1

I do what AZJW does. Stays nicely right over the ignition. Not had it fall yet. 

6 hours ago, johnneyflyguy said:

When I first read that people did not like the  fuel cap I thought I would be in the same boat, although I would preferer a hinged one I have got used to it and have no problems at all. 

IMG_20210602_181955.jpg

I like this idea in the mean time since I have to remove one or both gloves anyway. Everything together and snuggly. I can handle that.

Oddly enough, Mrs. Boondocker says I should get the hinged cap. Sounds like a birthday present to me 🎂

• Like 1

I was going to say, $160 for a fuel cap??? Do you know how much gas the could buy????  But then, thanks to .... , it won't buy much.