Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Pannier racks. Adventure Spec vs Rally Raid

Duncan666

Interested to hear how folks are getting on with either the Adventure Spec or Rally Raid side pannier racks?

Specifically how securely do Kriega OS bags or Rotopax mount? The AS racks looks sleak and lightweight but I’m dubious how well they will carry direct mount bags? RR look more sturdy and have specific strap mounts. Added bonus is that RR protects the exhaust as well. 

I’m looking for a Kriega and Rotopax solution without a heavy mounting solution. Not sure I favour the soft mount from Kriega on the rear bike panels. Any tip overs are going to destroy the panels. 

Any real world experiences welcome. 

thanks

7C462578-982D-4912-9FA2-E3A2458055FB.jpeg

18940842-24F4-4913-8AC6-1AD57FD93274.jpeg

DC9BE535-A3F4-42AB-A7A3-D4A22ADE4A1F.jpeg

EF8C3720-641D-470B-B0D9-AA02C86221CC.jpeg

• Like 1

I can't speak to the AS. I bought the Rally Raid racks and feel I made a good choice. One thing I can say is the build quality is top notch. Right down the the machined spacers are just beautifully made. They also include a bunch of extra spacers to fit other tail racks. They have a list on their site of which ones work.  One thing I wasn't aware of until after I go them is they have a strap mounting loop built into the front of the rack which makes mounting my Mosko Moto bags easy. I also really like the extra support they give the exhaust mount. I assume they are heavier than the AS however. I don't have Rotopax mounted but I would think these will have no issues with one  mounted to it. 

T7 Raily Raid.jpg

T7 Mosko Setup left.jpg

T7 Mosko Setup right.jpg

Edited by Offcamber
  • Like 3

I have the Rally Raid racks and like them so far. If you plan on using a camel tank, there are some mods you will need to make, I created a separate thread for that on this site. I like them so far, they keep my Reckless 8- off the side panels, my huzzar exhaust tucks in nicely behind them, I was able to mod it to work with my camel tank, and they look pretty nice too.

The have plenty of tie down points, I had my tool roll strapped to the back of the let rack up till I got the camel tank, lots of loops and places for straps to be rigged up.

Mike

• Like 3

Good to know the rally raid racks work with the huzzar exhaust,I have ordered both,I'll be fitting kriega OS-18 bags to the racks,don't want a top rack or bag.I debated between the AS racks and rally raid but decided on the RR as I think they will hold the bags better and added bonus of their support bracket will cover and support the redundant exhaust bracket.

Yeah they cover the exhaust well, looks like this

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_158f.thumb.jpg.2549f38b05e53bc38c5a936df5280ed0.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MikeCMP said:

Yeah they cover the exhaust well, looks like this

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_158f.thumb.jpg.2549f38b05e53bc38c5a936df5280ed0.jpg

Hey Mike, since your Huzar exhaust tucks up nicely under the RR pannier rack, is there any reason to think that the Camel-ADV high exhaust wouldn't fit as well?  I've been wondering about this for awhile, but yours is the first pic I've seen of a high exhaust fitting underneath the RR pannier rack.

And to stay on topic, I have been using the RR pannier racks for about 9 months now and am very happy with them.  As others have said, the build quality is top notch and there are numerous cutouts for mounting points for just about any luggage.  Sorry @Duncan666, I don't know specifically how the RR racks would work with the Kriega bags or the Rotopax, but I assume from looking at them that there shouldn't be a problem.  Those Kriega OS bags look like they were made for the RR pannier racks. 

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 1

@Seventh Son I think in the Camel High Exhaust thread in the vendor area, someone has this setup and said it works. You could prolly look in the last page or two and find a post related to it. I actually thought the high exhaust would not work, and the camel tank would, and was backwards on that 🙂

I've seen someone in the luggage thread here strap a pair of those nelson rig sierra bags on the RR racks so I would image you could get anything on there with enough creativity

Mike

37 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

I've seen someone in the luggage thread here strap a pair of those nelson rig sierra bags on the RR racks so I would image you could get anything on there with enough creativity

Mike

That would be me.  😁

That setup worked perfectly for me.  Those bags didn't budge at all on a 1,200 mile, three-day trip. 

RR soft luggage racks-1.jpg

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 2

I have the Adventurespec side racks, light weight and stylish. I found attachment of Kreiga OS bags a annoyingly fiddly. I have since purchased the OS base to make removal and installation quicker. It also allows it to be mounted further forward, centralises mass and allows attachments of other smaller bags or whatever to the rear of the rack. 

The RR racks look good too, they were not available when I purchased the Adventurespec side racks. They seem heavy duty with a larger platforms. 

• Like 1

Does someone with Adventure racks know the thickness in mm of the aluminium used for the racks?

• 6 months later...

The  set-up is very good and adaptable with different size bags. Sorry no photos, I have sold my T7 due to health problems restrictions for serious Offroad riding. Riding a moto guzzi v85tt now, great for gavel road riding. 

On 1/9/2022 at 7:11 AM, Ainm Taispeána said:

Hi, I've been researching soft luggage for the '22 T7 I have on order.  I was wondering how well the Kriega base system would work with Adventure Spec side racks when I came across your post.  Would you please post photos of your setup?   Thanks!

I have the adventure spec side plates and went a little different route, if this would be something you’d like. 

352DCA7C-5676-42F0-B80F-56887204CE66.jpeg

6E3609FB-31A4-465E-A328-5D0ED7E09A98.jpeg

E9F8C666-65AF-496A-A5E8-06B3E3AA4788.jpeg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ainm Taispeána said:

That looks like a great idea.  If you had stock exhaust would it still work?

image.thumb.jpg.eef6fc4d62b80008f43bbd86a4439c19.jpg

so it is a good bit above the stock muffler hanger, and the way I made those boxes they can slide up, down, tilt, and forward and back a bit, I think you could make it work 

• Like 3