Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Broken Fork plastic protector!

Charlie

Hi all, After owning my T7 for a few hours I managed to snap the front bottom plastic fork guard with my disc lock.  Anybody know where to locate a replacement and is there an aftermarket guard as I'm guessing official Yamaha part could be pricey? Many thanks in advance. Please see image.

20210605_213051.jpg

• Sad 1

That sucks.  I would like to know what the cost of that replacement will be or of any solution you come up with.

$28.02 + shipping (and tax) at Rocky Mountain ATV. Ask me how I know. Try Partzilla too. Maybe a little cheaper but I like RM better. Usually a bit faster.

• Like 1

I used a disk lock twice on two different Harleys……forgot and locked the front wheel instantly when taking off……instant stop and drop.  Never locked a disk again because…..I have theft insurance!!

18 hours ago, Charlie said:

Hi all, After owning my T7 for a few hours I managed to snap the front bottom plastic fork guard with my disc lock.  Anybody know where to locate a replacement and is there an aftermarket guard as I'm guessing official Yamaha part could be pricey? Many thanks in advance. Please see image.

20210605_213051.jpg

Screenshot_20210606-160704_Gallery.thumb.jpg.a9896f5d2ca9ea7d6d4b800193628404.jpg

As you can see,  your not alone!. I initially did this with my disc lock...glued it...then it pinged off again after a teeny jump over my secret hump backed bridge!. Luckily I found the piece and will make a better job of glueing it with a backing support.  As I've painted the fork shrouds I want to repair rather than replace!! Cheers,  Steve 

15 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

I used a disk lock twice on two different Harleys……forgot and locked the front wheel instantly when taking off……instant stop and drop.

I saw my buddy do the same thing many years ago... 1985ish, brand new GSXR750. Leaving Siebkein's resort at Elkhart Lake WI. (Road America race track). Crowds of people all over and kerplunk... fell directly over. Kind'a a Benny Hill moment.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• 2 months later...

5687891E-713D-48C7-AD9F-1405E43587BC.jpeg.8a871c352239e5c1d49a7b11ee600e35.jpegjoin the club. With a disc lock I’ve used for 24 yrs🙄😁. Think it was less than £30 from Yamaha in uk. 

• 2 weeks later...

please welcome me to the club 🙂 did the same thing and now I am searching for a type of glue that can bond those parts 😄 epoxy doesn't work on PP as far as I know, plastic weld maybe? 

1 hour ago, kocaali said:

please welcome me to the club 🙂 did the same thing and now I am searching for a type of glue that can bond those parts 😄 epoxy doesn't work on PP as far as I know, plastic weld maybe? 

Welcome to the club @kocaali

I wonder if PVC or ABS glue would accomplish the task.  I'm not sure what the plastic is actually made of.  It may be worth a try.

I had done the same thing on my FZ1 with my disc lock a few years ago. I still have the disc lock, but I think that at this point I would prefer to find a way to attach one of those reminder cables to my handlebars before using it again and doing the same to my T7.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Landshark said:

I'm not sure what the plastic is actually made of.

"PP-GF30" is written inside the guard; according to google it means polypropylene with 30% glass fibre. Most of the glues, epoxy, etc can not bond this material, checked few of the available ones like gorilla glue, pattex, loctite etc and all claim to work with plastics except PP and PE. There has to something specific for these kind of plastics but couldn't managed to find one. 

And tried to bond the parts by melting the material from the back side along the break line, with the help of a soldering iron, worked pretty well and is holding strong. how strong I have no clue but at least the broken part stays in place.  Also added some extra support with ducktape, just incase it breaks again with vibrations, I don't want to lose the broken piece, I hope ducktape will not let it drop and plan B is to re-position it with cable ties 🙂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeabagInsurance said:

I had done the same thing on my FZ1 with my disc lock a few years ago. I still have the disc lock, but I think that at this point I would prefer to find a way to attach one of those reminder cables to my handlebars before using it again and doing the same to my T7.

I have installed heated grips and was super excited to test them so I was trying to move the bike out of the garage, and realized the disc lock was still on when I heard the "CRACKKKKK" 🙂  lessons learned 🙂  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, kocaali said:

"PP-GF30" is written inside the guard; according to google it means polypropylene with 30% glass fibre. Most of the glues, epoxy, etc can not bond this material, checked few of the available ones like gorilla glue, pattex, loctite etc and all claim to work with plastics except PP and PE. There has to something specific for these kind of plastics but couldn't managed to find one. 

And tried to bond the parts by melting the material from the back side along the break line, with the help of a soldering iron, worked pretty well and is holding strong. how strong I have no clue but at least the broken part stays in place.  Also added some extra support with ducktape, just incase it breaks again with vibrations, I don't want to lose the broken piece, I hope ducktape will not let it drop and plan B is to re-position it with cable ties 🙂 

So the PP-GF30 material is weldable.  You can search the web and find the PP type welding rods that are inexpensive.  Then use your soldering iron or a plastic welder and you're good to go.  I wonder what the cost of a new one from the dealer is?  There is also a tool called a Hot Stapler for plastics.  

• Like 1

It’s less than £30. I wouldn’t be arsed with a repair for that price. The plastics are quite cheap it seems. As per dobbis post. CT7 priced the screen supports. Not too bad. 

Edited by Dougie
Spelling
  • Like 1

ive just done extacly the same picked my new bike up yesterday put a disc lock on when i wheeled it into garage and forgot about it this morning and snap bike had only done 40 miles at least its not just me

• Sad 2