Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Leaking fork seals

SKIPNOMAD

Has anyone had an issue with leaking fork seals. I just realized that one of mine is leaking. It i less than a year old and has just under 3000 miles. Is it OK to ride until I can get it fixed?.  I was planning a trip to New Mexico next weekend. Is it still covered under warranty since it is less than a year. Any info would be helpful.

• Like 1

You probably just have a pic of dirt stuck in the seal. You can clean it out with a pc of thin plastic like 35mm film or  get a Seal Mate and try to clean it with that. 

Untitled_design_45.png?height=628&pad_co

Seal Mate has helped fix leaking fork seals on over 100,000 motorcycles worldwide. We guarantee it will fix your leaky seals or we'll refund you in full. FREE USA Shipping.

• Like 2

Seal mate is a great product, and if used as directed, will probably remedy your problem.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

As an old guy, I liked the old Fork Gaiters. I have 30 year old dual sports with original fork seals in them. Ya, some dummy turned the forks upside down and screwed things up, but I like to reminisce about the good old days....

Humm, if I ever get my T7 and my forks start to leak... (thinking) 🤔

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

one of mine just started leaking with under 3K MI. I used the seal mate- didn't fix it. Is this a warranty thing?

Anyone try these?

IMG_0017-L.jpg

Or these

Short Zip-On Fork Covers by Seal Savers - Slavens Racing

Fork Savers

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

10 hours ago, sracer said:

one of mine just started leaking with under 3K MI. I used the seal mate- didn't fix it. Is this a warranty thing?

I doubt it. You can try to see if they will cover it under warranty, but I’m guessing they will claim it’s normal wear and tear that is not covered. 

On 6/6/2021 at 9:23 AM, Hibobb said:

Anyone try these?

IMG_0017-L.jpg

Or these

Fork Savers

I use the shock sox version.  Easy on-off with  velcro is nice so they can be  washed very easily.

• Like 1

Seal savers work well but you need to clean them occasionally which is why I like the Velcro style that you can remove without pulling the tubes. 
On that note I’ve only had a couple over the years that a hooked piece of plastic to clean them didn’t fix. 
Drop the dust covers and buy or make a seal cleaner will solve the issue most of the time. 
Most of the time when people say the cleaners don’t work is because all they do is wipe the dust seal not the actual fork seal. The fork seals are up there a ways. 

• Like 2

Ah, the dreaded leaky-fork-seals thread. So, we meet at last...

-

Personally I use shock sox. They look great! They did leak a tiny bit when I was messing with the air release valve. I've heard that some of these bikes come with just a tad bit under the normal fill for shock oil. Someday I plan on prolly replacing the oil / topping off.

Edit: Forks are leaking at 15,000 miles lol

Edited by loneranger700
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 6:23 AM, Hibobb said:

I run these on everything, and haven't had trouble since I started using them. That includes, my T12, T7, WR450 and my YZ snowbike. Gotta clean them if playing in the mud or ice/snow, but awesome inventions.

Good luck with seal warranty...I have my doubts you will get it though.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

On 6/7/2021 at 9:23 PM, Canzvt said:

I run these on everything, and haven't had trouble since I started using them. That includes, my T12, T7, WR450 and my YZ snowbike. Gotta clean them if playing in the mud or ice/snow, but awesome inventions.

Good luck with seal warranty...I have my doubts you will get it though.

Same here, never had an issue with any of my bikes and I run them on everything. 

On 6/6/2021 at 8:23 AM, Hibobb said:

Anyone try these?

IMG_0017-L.jpg

Or these

Fork Savers

Been running them on my Super Ténéré going on 193,000 kilometres with no leaks.

• 1 year later...
On 6/11/2021 at 8:35 PM, sracer said:

FYI: leaking fork seal is not covered by warranty.

I just bought a 22 T7 a couple months ago it’s been leaking since the day it was delivered to my ranch. They are covering it under warranty. I was required to take it to the shop and have them visually see that it’s leaking and they’re ordering a seal kit under warranty and in a period of weeks I’ll go back and have it installed.   It’s an hour ride each way I’m hoping I can wait while they fix it.  I’ve never ridden it in the dirt. I’ve been easy on it because I had a triple bypass 7 weeks ago. 

39 minutes ago, Ragz said:

I just bought a 22 T7 a couple months ago it’s been leaking since the day it was delivered to my ranch. They are covering it under warranty. I was required to take it to the shop and have them visually see that it’s leaking and they’re ordering a seal kit under warranty and in a period of weeks I’ll go back and have it installed.   It’s an hour ride each way I’m hoping I can wait while they fix it.  I’ve never ridden it in the dirt. I’ve been easy on it because I had a triple bypass 7 weeks ago. 

Call ahead and inform the service manager you intend to wait for the bike during the repair just in case . Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Thank you sir that’s a good idea I’m going to do that.  BTW thanks to everyone here I really enjoy this forum. 

22 hours ago, Ragz said:

Thank you sir that’s a good idea I’m going to do that.  BTW thanks to everyone here I really enjoy this forum. 

I believe they sell ultra across the street that would be nice while you wait.

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2021 at 2:42 PM, Liquidape said:

You probably just have a pic of dirt stuck in the seal. You can clean it out with a pc of thin plastic like 35mm film or  get a Seal Mate and try to clean it with that. 

Untitled_design_45.png?height=628&pad_co

Seal Mate has helped fix leaking fork seals on over 100,000 motorcycles worldwide. We guarantee it will fix your leaky seals or we'll refund you in full. FREE USA Shipping.

Another less expensive solution is to cut a tear-off into the same shape. Thinner and easier to get under the seal. 35mm film - do they still make that. Haha. 

I’ve had moderate success with this approach meaning cleaning crap from under the seal. 

More often than not you’ll either not be able to stop the leaking or it will come back shortly. Once you get dirt in your fork oil it’s wear and tear on those internals you don’t want. I do my own suspension work. Acquire the OEM manual and have at it is my suggestion. Not a lot of work to r&r forks and shocks. I even have a nitrogen setup for charging the shock. In the op’s case it really should be just the seals and oil. The only downside is you can’t bitch out your mechanic properly . 😂 

Edited by gonebiken
  • Like 1