Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 power

Mecooper82

Hello all. I am new to the forums and need your opinion. My local dealer has a few bikes coming in the next few weeks and I am thinking about buying one. Unfortunately I’m am not able to take one for test drive. With that being said do you guys ever find the T700 lacking power or performance. I just don’t wanna be bored

Take it on a Colorado single track and you will never be bored. Chances are you won't use more than half throttle and only the first three gears, if you pick the right trails... 

If you are 20 years old, ride street only, and all your buddies have 600cc crotch rockets, you may be disappointed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Thanks for the input. I am 38 and have owned a KLR 250 and 650 as well as a few street bikes and muscle cruisers. Sold everything a few years back and looking to get back into riding. But this time wanting to try adventure bikes. 

Edited by Mecooper82

9 minutes ago, Mecooper82 said:

Thanks for the input. I am 38 and have owned a KLR 250 and 650 as well as a few street bikes and muscle cruisers. Sold everything a few years back and looking to get back into riding. But this time wanting to try adventure bikes. 

I ride a Honda ST1300 with loads of power.  Picked up a T7 and find it just as thrilling to ride. Plenty of power and torque through at all RPMs.  And way more than you'll need off-road.  I doubt you'll be disappointed.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Mecooper82 said:

You could think of it as a better handling, more refined KLR with loads more power.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  But you also just have to be realistic of what it is and what you want it to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im a bit of a horsepower junky and was concerned of finding I’d be a bit bored with the power also. 

I find the T7 plenty entertaining. No, it’s not sportbike fast. Yes, I’d welcome a bit more power. 

However, the way the power is delivered makes it fun to play with, and very confidence inspiring to ride it that much more aggressively.  It honestly “feels” closer to 100hp than the 72 or 74 or whatever the spec sheet says as well. 

• Like 1

I own a ST10 with full exhaust! I own an MT-10 full exhaust! My T7 will run with my ST10! The only problem with the T7 is running 80-90 mph with the ST10 it only has a 4.2 gallon tank! Needs more fuel stops then the ST10! Performance is awesome! 

• Like 1

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!

• 4 weeks later...

Tiger 1050 & Rocket III owner. Ride the street version MT-07 if you really are concerned. 
perception of power is very personal thing.

CP2 (the T7 engine that is also used in MT-07) is missing that high rev peak that is usually present in sport bike engines. It has exceptional low end torque for 700 engine but if you like to ride with high revs and you are looking for that special something whet the redline approaches it's just not there. Just a regular 70hp engine in there. As a daily driver and allrounder it's a very nice engine and as long as you use it with modest rpms, it's an exceptional engine, easily comparable with 100hp engines that has more pronounced high end.

It all depends on perspective and what you are coming from. The T7 is my second bike, my first being a TW200, so to me the T7 is a rocket and something I can't get bored of.

I bought a T7 because I'm tall and wanted something spirited and fun to ride.  Most sport bikes and standards are too small for me.  Compared to my BMW GSA, the T7 flicks and scoots and is a blast around town.  Can't wait to take it on some gravel roads and slide around a bit.  The engine is great.

• Like 1

As stated earlier, try to find a MT (FZ)07 and see what you think.  Based on your previous rides i think you will be ok with it.  Its not super fast on the street but its adequate to be considered "fun" IMO.  Its pretty good off-road.  I keep thinking id like 10 more HP while off-road,  but 15 (or more) HP would probably get me in too much trouble!  I like to blow corners up...