Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Pyrenees trip

Rich TT

Just picked my T7 up on Saturday, then ran it for 30 miles, fitted the extras, then took by van to the Pyrenees with a couple of mates.

Absolutely fantastic bike. Will report back when I have more time, but a couple of pics. Did quite a bit of off roading and it feels great standing up. 

So pleased. Feel like I can go anywhere on it.

I pushed the forks through 10mm and fitted bar risers and the rally seat plus sumo guard and engine protectors. The exhaust (MTC) sounds epic. Baffle out.

Cheers

Rich

IMG-20190927-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20190926-WA0003.jpg

IMG_20190927_144346.jpg

IMG_20190927_144358.jpg

Screenshot_20190927_131737_com.wikiloc.wikilocandroid.jpg

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Class. Van-ing it to there is a winner. Any more routes to share?? 

I’d send my T7 to Bilbao and do Picos.... Did the awesome roads on MT-10.

Good trails there to.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, X Plane said:

Class. Van-ing it to there is a winner. Any more routes to share?? 

I’d send my T7 to Bilbao and do Picos.... Did the awesome roads on MT-10.

Good trails there to.

Emjoyed that, reminded me of my picos trip a couple years back, that Riano place must be the dullest place on earth though, roads were fantastic and I see you got better weather than I did. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, cabby said:

Emjoyed that, reminded me of my picos trip a couple years back, that Riano place must be the dullest place on earth though, roads were fantastic and I see you got better weather than I did. 

Thanks, (subscribe thumbs up). I really enjoyed the quite calm of Riano and it’s spectacular petrol station views. Yep all those roads in or out of Riano are flowing fantastic. Last week of September 2017 was perfect weather; a sublime 24 degrees C. I loved it. 

Edited by X Plane

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, cabby said:

Just seemed like a ghost town to me, may be the grey skies played their part.

It’s no New York for sure. Think it’s survives in winter with snow lovers and in summer by travelers passing thru. Village tucked in behind that essentially well placed / spaced miles wise petrol station. The whole area and roads were traffic free or well spaced to do a lot of riding on.

Edited by X Plane

2 hours ago, Hooja said:

What is the change in characteristics with a 10mm drop on the forks/yokes, plus the risers?

cheers

I rode it as standard, them tweaked it with the seat, bar risers, 10mm up through the forks and plenty more preload plus stiffened it up with 2 clicks of compression and rebound as it needed it off road. Handled fantastic now if I'm honest. Off road in the fast and flowing stuff, not too different to my 525EXC KTM in terms of balance. It's so good and balanced. Before I did the suspension mods, it was bottoming out off road. Not any more and very taught. 

Cheers

Rich

IMG-20190927-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20190928-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20190928-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20190928-WA0018.jpg

9 hours ago, cabby said:

Thanks!

Did this one first day and pretty epic

Screenshot_20190929_235409_com.wikiloc.wikilocandroid.jpg

180 miles into France and back to Spain. Up to 2500m.

Bike was faultless both off and on road.

Rich

IMG_20190930_144844.jpg

IMG_20190930_145103.jpg

• Like 3

Top photos, how does it compare with the old Tenere?  I had two from 2008 and loved them. We are off to the Pyrenees in 5 weeks on the T7 so would value your opinion on the comfort.  I am used to a GSA 800 which was OK doing 500 miles in a day  if you have to.  

Cheers Mick 

35 minutes ago, Motoadventureman (Mick) said:

Top photos, how does it compare with the old Tenere?  I had two from 2008 and loved them. We are off to the Pyrenees in 5 weeks on the T7 so would value your opinion on the comfort.  I am used to a GSA 800 which was OK doing 500 miles in a day  if you have to.  

Cheers Mick 

One of the lads I'm with has a Tenere 660. To be fair, nothing wrong with that at all (I rode it when I was here). But the T7 is smoother, faster (if you want that), nicer gear shifts and just feels that little more planted. The front end of the T7 feels brilliant. Also if you're off roading, the T7 has the perfect poise and stance and feels like you could stand up all day. It changes direction so easy by just weighting a foot peg. I took my foot rubbers out from day one for more feel from the pegs and also raised the forks 10mm through the forks. With the bar risers and rally seat, it's transformed. I'd happily ride all day on it.

Today was pretty fast and like a track day on the passes! Been right to the edge of both tyres and no drama at all. I just turned the ABS off as it was annoying as kept coming on. Once off, it was fine. No traffic at all, and I honestly wouldn't have wanted to be on anything else...well apart from a 690SMCR KTM!!

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Rich TT said:

180 miles into France and back to Spain. Up to 2500m.

Bike was faultless both off and on road.

Rich

IMG_20190930_144844.jpg

I think I know exactly where that is....just south of the N260 around Planoes ??  If it's the same road, I remember riding for over an hour and not seeing another single human on the road, was absolute bliss.  4015 or 4015 possibly.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 9/29/2019 at 10:55 PM, Rich TT said:

Thanks!

Did this one first day and pretty epic

Screenshot_20190929_235409_com.wikiloc.wikilocandroid.jpg

Nice. Picos de Europa looked to have good trails but Pyrenees looks to have wider scoop. Hate ya I’m stuck at work lol. Class, keep it up and the updates coming 👍 

On 9/29/2019 at 11:46 PM, Rich TT said:

Today's route. Plenty of off road, rocks, dust, mud, heat, and great roads too

Screenshot_20190929_173737_com.wikiloc.wikilocandroid.jpg

Very nice trips. RichTT, what are the apps you are using for navigation?

• Like 1

Something called Wikiloc. It's brilliant and worked so well. I just searched our area for trail bike routes. You can then follow the trail or create your own and upload. I had my phone mounted on the top bar with Ultimate add-ons waterproof case. The setup worked faultlessly. Cheers Rich

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cabby said:

I think I know exactly where that is....just south of the N260 around Planoes ??  If it's the same road, I remember riding for over an hour and not seeing another single human on the road, was absolute bliss.  4015 or 4015 possibly.

I think it was more west. Agree. Hardly saw anyone. Roads super grippy and 25 to 28C. Pure bliss

2 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Something called Wikiloc. It's brilliant and worked so well. I just searched our area for trail bike routes. You can then follow the trail or create your own and upload. I had my phone mounted on the top bar with Ultimate add-ons waterproof case. The setup worked faultlessly. Cheers Rich

Already downloaded. It looks pretty comprehensive. Thanks!

Hi Rich.

I met you last sunday when your friend had a "tyre puncture". I was the T7 rider from Pamplona.

Did you repair the tube in Erro? It was difficult on Sunday...

By the way, very nice sound of the muffler 😄 😄 😄

Brilliant and thanks for stopping. Managed to get a new tube fitted in the end. He rode it for a few metres and the tyre debeaded in the sun. We left the tyre levers at home in a confusion (both the lads thought they had them!), so they managed to put the tyre back on with a new tube with a 13mm spanner and a 6 inch adjustable and some chain lube to get the tyre back on.

Took an hour or so, but we then had lunch in an amazing place just up the road that I'm sure you know. Wood fired BBQ. Pics attached.

Thanks again so much for stopping.

Rich

IMG-20190929-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20190929-WA0003.jpg

This is probably my biggest complaint to the TT700. Yet probably easy to solve when the suppliers get around to it. Tubeless rims!

There was a time when one could just stand on the tire, dance around, swear, jump and eventually the tire bead would just slacken from the rim. No anymore. Somehow the modern tires are manufactured with much closer tolerance, requiring a debedeader unless one has green skin. 

After a couple of punctures with my Africa Twin way back when, I purchased one, and "never left home without it". But the whole process is still a hassle. Better a plug and off you go. Specially if you ride mostly alone as yours truly.

So, If I get around to purchase this girl, or the MG TT85, the first order of business is a set of tubeless rim.🤔

Edited by Phaedrus
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Class. Nice. (Darn darn work). Love it. Post Up best trail(s).... Still hating ya, kidding, cracker stuff man. Pissy damp UK. Keep on T7-ing trucking. Keep us updated (pig, lol). Enjoy!