Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Vibration help.

jdk2man

Marky Mark doesn't have a clue. There ain't nothing good about the vibrations.

I just switched to Pro taper adventure bars which are awesome,  but the vibration is unreal. 

Even just touching the brake lever feels like an electric shock.  Like those buzzers you would put in your hand to scare people when you shake. 

Any thoughts on how to mitigate it?

Didn't have it this bad with the stock bars.

And it is engine vibration. Ot stops when I quit reving and coast.

Thanks a bunch. 

From the internet (use at your own risk)

At the end of your handlebars are nothing but Bar End Weights or weight balancers (yes, they are heavyish). What they actually do is that they make sure the bike's handlebar does not vibrate due to the resonance that occurs right from the moment when the engine of motorbike starts.

What is a Marky Mark?

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

From what I noticed from my trip today. lots of hwy. The vibration on exist when in gear. if I am cruising along, vibration is bad, pull in the clutch, but still rev'd, its pretty much gone.

Does the silicone in the bars really help? If so, what type of silicone?

They used to make something called bar snake or something like that.
Was basically some type of rubber hose looking stuff that you put into the bars. 

12 hours ago, Hibobb said:

What is a Marky Mark?

Before he was Mark Wahlberg he was...

J

• Like 2

Hmm, that's weird.  I just switched to protaper adventures last week and went on my first long-ish ride yesterday.  I didn't notice anything unusual and if I were guessing I'd say it was better than before.  But I used progrip 714 grips which are cushy.  

4 minutes ago, advrallymoto said:

Hmm, that's weird.  I just switched to protaper adventures last week and went on my first long-ish ride yesterday.  I didn't notice anything unusual and if I were guessing I'd say it was better than before.  But I used progrip 714 grips which are cushy.  

I may need to switch grips. I have some heated,  but haven't been to impressed with them.  I think I'll just switch to heated gloves.  I have 2 pair.

Are the 714 grips good?

Just now, jdk2man said:

I may need to switch grips. I have some heated,  but haven't been to impressed with them.  I think I'll just switch to heated gloves.  I have 2 pair.

Are the 714 grips good?

They're my favorites.  I've had them on several bikes.  They're a little larger so they help with hand cramping and because of being cushy they tend to reduce vibrations.  I also added a rally raid top bar clamp, not sure if that would affect things much though.  

4 hours ago, jdk2man said:

Are the 714 grips good?

how about installing a pair of grip puppies before you ditch the heated grips altogether?  it is a cheap solution. 

So, a couple of questions. What RPM does it vibrate most at in gear? Does it vibrate more if accelerating, or at a constant speed? You mentioned that it is not road speed dependent, but drive dependent, and does it vibrate excessively when stopped but held at that RPM? If it only does it in gear at a constant road speed, I would be checking into your driveline. Front sprocket wear, sprocket nut torque (probably not this, as it should be lock tabbed, but...), rear sprocket, rear sprocket nut torque, chain for kinks/tight spots and finally tires. What tires are you running? The stock Pirelli's? If so, get rid of them (for various reasons) and try it with a continuous center tread tire if you are not a serious dirt rider.

Bar end weights are designed to dampen a known frequency of vibration over a relatively small range of frequencies. If removed, or the bars changed, the source frequency is likely still there, and depending upon the bar geometry might be AMPLIFIED more than the stock bars. Think of your bars as tuning forks...the longer the bar, the lower the frequency needed to excite the vibration. The lighter the bar, the higher the frequency, etc. This can be dampened out by filling the bars with silicone, as that will dampen all frequencies, but it may only make it marginally better, and it will add weight.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

9 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

Before he was Mark Wahlberg he was...

J

No wonder I didn't know.... 

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 hour ago, Canzvt said:

So, a couple of questions. What RPM does it vibrate most at in gear? Does it vibrate more if accelerating, or at a constant speed? You mentioned that it is not road speed dependent, but drive dependent, and does it vibrate excessively when stopped but held at that RPM? If it only does it in gear at a constant road speed, I would be checking into your driveline. Front sprocket wear, sprocket nut torque (probably not this, as it should be lock tabbed, but...), rear sprocket, rear sprocket nut torque, chain for kinks/tight spots and finally tires. What tires are you running? The stock Pirelli's? If so, get rid of them (for various reasons) and try it with a continuous center tread tire if you are not a serious dirt rider.

Bar end weights are designed to dampen a known frequency of vibration over a relatively small range of frequencies. If removed, or the bars changed, the source frequency is likely still there, and depending upon the bar geometry might be AMPLIFIED more than the stock bars. Think of your bars as tuning forks...the longer the bar, the lower the frequency needed to excite the vibration. The lighter the bar, the higher the frequency, etc. This can be dampened out by filling the bars with silicone, as that will dampen all frequencies, but it may only make it marginally better, and it will add weight.

Thanks for taking the time. 

It feels like it's at most ranges 3000+ 

Are not the chain, tires, sprockets, etc..still moving when I'm coasting?

Wouldn't the vibration still be there? 

And it galena when I'm a constant rpm. But as soon as I pull in the clutch,  it stops.

I only have the stock back tire. Which I will replace this week since my ecu is being flashed. 

I hope nothing is worn out, I only have around 900 miles. 

So why I ask if the bike is under power rather than just moving, is that under power, all driveline components are under some type of stress including the rear tire, instead of just moving. It CAN highlight some driveline component issues. Since your bike only has 900 miles, I would look squarely at the rear tire. There have been A LOT of complaints with these tires on the N/A bikes, myself included.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

32 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

So why I ask if the bike is under power rather than just moving, is that under power, all driveline components are under some type of stress including the rear tire, instead of just moving. It CAN highlight some driveline component issues. Since your bike only has 900 miles, I would look squarely at the rear tire. There have been A LOT of complaints with these tires on the N/A bikes, myself included.

My front tire wobbled so bad I replaced it immediately.  The rear,  I bought the new one,  just haven't changed it yet.  Going to do the tubeless conversion when I do. 

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to solve the vibration issue too.  It is vibrating bad enough that my hands are numb in 20 kms or so.   Seems to be bad right though the rpm range. When riding  I pull the clutch in and it is smooth as can be.  Sitting on the center stand in neutral the vibrations are still there and increase with rpm so it definitely seems to be motor related.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread and I have asked similar follow up questions on another thread but has anyone here had any luck on the engine vibration issue? I've got the exact same issue as described by @Texerman but Yamaha Australia have just told my dealer that they don't know anything to even consider looking at.

• Premium Member

Don't build hopes up that it's common or generic. It's uncommon. Thousands of these twin cylinder CP2 engines are in existance and being used with no vibration issues. 

Did it vibrate with the OE handlebars on?

If not you know what to do.

On 7/12/2023 at 3:34 AM, Mapbook said:

Did it vibrate with the OE handlebars on?

If not you know what to do.

Unfortunately it sure did - I still have the stock bars and weights on. The vibration is visible - yep visible - through the whole bike even when stationary not just the bars. It was smooth when I got the bike but got worse and worse over time. I can feel a lot of vibration through the pegs and straight in to my boot when it's pressing on the engine. I noticed a couple of days ago how rough it felt against my boot as I pulled in and released the clutch (on the right hand side of the engine). I've organised to have the dealer open up the clutch body and check it out but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

I now have 20k miles on mine and during my last trip last week my throttle hand started going numb from vibration. I also have protaper adventure bars but no bar end weights I'll be looking to add some. However the main culprit could be the motoz adventure front tire or that's my suspicion. Someone posted about barkbusters for the stock bars with protaper adventure bars- trying to find that post..

Anyway everyone experiences vibrations differently and has different sensitivity to them so saying something is wrong with somebody's bike etc isn't helpful when you don't know comparison between how they are riding vs "everybody else." It starts for me after several hours riding over 70 mph, also very poor Washington i90 road conditions 

Try filling your handle bars with lead bird shot or BB's.  LOTS of extra weight.  That was a trick I used on the 2001 FZ1.  Wont hurt to try.  

Some people have reported filling the bars with Butyl Rubber and it dampening the vibration.  

Edited by Redneckj

6 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

Someone posted about barkbusters for the stock bars with protaper adventure bars- trying to find that post..

• Thanks 1