Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Givi rack and soft luggage on the Tenere? Differences between Rally/regular?

waffl

Hi all,

I just recently bought a PLO2145MK rack to be able to mount the GRT709 CANYON soft luggage I owned from a previous bike on my Tenere Rally Edition. Upon installing, I noticed the rack sits quite tight against the exhaust. This didn't seem too concerning until I tried to install the plates to mount the luggage which requires multiple back braces to secure. There definitely is not enough room to mount this plate, although GIVI lists all as compatible on their website. The bottom left brace would be completely impossible to install and the nut to secure the bottom right plate would rub against the exhaust which would of course be terrible after any amount of riding.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a difference in how the exhaust sits between the Rally edition and regular? As a standard slip on I imagined the dimensions were the same?
  2. Does anyone happen to have this rack/system and know how to work around this? As the OEM racks are made by GIVI as well it's a bit surprising that the fit seems off.
  3. Does anyone with the rally edition and OEM racks have this very tight space between the exhaust and the rack - where the rubber foot is pressed quite tightly against the exhaust?

Thanks in advance, I was quite disheartened to not be able to use my luggage this weekend and am concerned it may never be a possibility at all.

IMG_1596.jpeg

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1591.jpeg

I know this doesn't help, just an FYI.

Stock exhaust.

DGtTWg3l.jpg

Camel high exhaust kit with Givi Plo2145cam pannier racks (not the OEM Yamaha racks). You can see the rubber bumper that rested against the stock exhaust in this picture.

32h2wijl.jpg

Thanks for the info @REDHORSECA - so it does appear that the original exhaust does touch, and thus probably doesn't have that much space either since the distance of the bumper itself is too tight for the braces. I've written my Givi dealer and they have forwarded the question on to Givi, so hopefully there will be some answers though it's not looking great (on top of that I sold my hard sidecases to recoup the costs on the soft luggage 🙄). I can't imagine how this can be remedied without somehow moving the exhaust itself as per the high mount (which looks great by the way!) Will report back.

I have the same issue with GIVI rear racks and stock exhaust. I wanted to fit my Mosko moto Backcountry panniers and had to resort to a different mount, in order to be able to tie the hard plastic base. Mosko moto aluminum packs godd not be used, due to clearance, much like the photo you posted. 

6 hours ago, waffl said:

Thanks in advance, I was quite disheartened to not be able to use my luggage this weekend and am concerned it may never be a possibility at all.

IMG_1596.jpeg

Maybe measure your bolt spacing between the top and bottom threaded holes in your GIVI bracket and try some cable clip/clamp with a similar spacing?

They come in varying sizes.

61MrQI1pMnL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

612sSrix-9L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

61fE9-j6W9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

@REDHORSECA thanks, that's a good idea. My dealer is looking into it with Givi but I can't really imagine they'll be able to recommend anything of use. I'll update when I hear back, otherwise will probably go this route, as the majority of the support is from the two little knobs and the braces are more just for lateral support.

For what it's worth, the Givi dealer said to just mount three brackets, when I explained that was my plan all along (forego the bottom left) but the bottom right bracket would still rub against the exhaust, he said to shave down the plastic on the inner diameter of the brace. I couldn't really think of a very good way to do this, so in the meantime I cut away a portion of the bottom rear of the bracket with a blade and only mounted it with one bolt at the top. It really doesn't feel ideal bit I think it's definitely fine as the top two brackets are fully secured. I'll keep the u-bolt/cable in mind nonetheless.

1929554406_Screenshot2021-06-14at14_38_02.thumb.png.578ba7f0753a6af733808cdc4af89a6f.png

I basically cut away this piece that holds the nut secure, and only mounted the upper bolt.