Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Any thoughts on the hyperpro/touratech lowering kits and progressive springs?

waffl

From what I can tell, us shorter inseam riders that want to be able to comfortably tap a foot offroad have the following options:

1. Become a better/more confident rider
  2. Touratech lowering rear suspension + lowering cartridge (-3.5cm, 3000 EUR+)
  3. Touratech lowering rear suspension + progressive front springs (-3.5cm, 1200-1600 EUR)
  4. Hyperpro lowering progressive fork + rear springs, dogbones (-3.5cm, 249 EUR)
  5. Dogbones, push forks through clamp (-1.8cm - -4cm, 50-140 EUR)

I'm really curious about the Hyperpro set for its price/performance tradeoff (of course the dream is to drop 3k on the full touratech upgrade but not sure it's really necessary or reasonable).

Actually Touratech sells the rebranded Hyperpro set, so I have no doubts on the quality. I was wondering if anyone has experience switching to progressive springs and if it really harshens the suspension, and I'm curious if it still really affects handling/geometry given that it does come with dogbones.

I'm really not an aggressive rider, I just want to be able to make it through more difficult offroad without feeling like there's no margin for error.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Hyperpro, bit confusing as the Touratech kit does not come with dogbones, but the Hyperpro kit does, he was fairly adamant that geometry is not affected as all three parts are fixed in tandem. In any case, any experiences would be appreciated.

Edited by waffl
slight update
  • Like 1

You forgot:  

Yamaha low seat option. (-2.0 cm, ~ 200 €)
Seat concept low seat (-2.2 cm, $200-$300+import)

Custom seat done by some local company (-??, ??)

All very valid choices and you don't need to mess with the suspension or geometry at all.

• Like 2

I decided to lower mine with the least expensive option, and just ordered Rally Raid 20mm lowering links. And I'll raise the forks as well. 

I ride 80% road and 20% dirt roads/jeep trails. Nothing technical...So I expect it to be a good option. 

I'll report back after I put some miles on the setup.

Edited by Hammy

@Hobes ah correct, I forgot to mention that I already bought the low seat and am indeed comfortable but wouldn't mind a little more confident foot reach in some (many) situations.

@Hammy look forward to your report.

In a conversation with Touratech themselves, they recommended against any lowering whatsoever if the bike is to be taken offroad at all but then I wonder why they even produce/sell these kits for adv bikes? (especially a €1400 EUR lowered high performance rear suspension?)

1 hour ago, waffl said:

@Hobes ah correct, I forgot to mention that I already bought the low seat and am indeed comfortable but wouldn't mind a little more confident foot reach in some (many) situations.

@Hammy look forward to your report.

In a conversation with Touratech themselves, they recommended against any lowering whatsoever if the bike is to be taken offroad at all but then I wonder why they even produce/sell these kits for adv bikes? (especially a €1400 EUR lowered high performance rear suspension?)

I understand where they're coming from. If youre riding off road its obviously better to utilize all the suspension travel...

Having said that- we all define "off road" differently. These days Im not doing anything that would require nearly all my travel. With getting older and all my injuries catching up to me, that ship has sailed. So Im searching for dirt roads and easy jeep trails.

Less travel and slightly altered geometry won't affect me.

Edited by Hammy

25 minutes ago, Hammy said:

we all define "off road" differently

Agree 100%. I have huge respect for guys like Camel ADV, but for "me" the thought of aggressively riding a 450+ pound bike is ludicrous.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

7 hours ago, waffl said:

From what I can tell, us shorter inseam riders that want to be able to comfortably tap a foot offroad have the following options:

1. Become a better/more confident rider
  2. Touratech lowering rear suspension + lowering cartridge (-3.5cm, 3000 EUR+)
  3. Touratech lowering rear suspension + progressive front springs (-3.5cm, 1200-1600 EUR)
  4. Hyperpro lowering progressive fork + rear springs, dogbones (-3.5cm, 249 EUR)
  5. Dogbones, push forks through clamp (-1.8cm - -4cm, 50-140 EUR)

I'm really curious about the Hyperpro set for its price/performance tradeoff (of course the dream is to drop 3k on the full touratech upgrade but not sure it's really necessary or reasonable).

Actually Touratech sells the rebranded Hyperpro set, so I have no doubts on the quality. I was wondering if anyone has experience switching to progressive springs and if it really harshens the suspension, and I'm curious if it still really affects handling/geometry given that it does come with dogbones.

I'm really not an aggressive rider, I just want to be able to make it through more difficult offroad without feeling like there's no margin for error.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Hyperpro, bit confusing as the Touratech kit does not come with dogbones, but the Hyperpro kit does, he was fairly adamant that geometry is not affected as all three parts are fixed in tandem. In any case, any experiences would be appreciated.

Replace the links to lower the bike 20mm.  Then push the forks up 15mm.  Any further and the forks will interfere with the plastic cowling.  I have the lower seat and the lower links and after I set the sag I can set the balls of my feet on the ground and easily touch one foot flat.  I have a 30 inch inseam, small balls and a big belly.  Hope that helps.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Landshark said:

Replace the links to lower the bike 20mm.  Then push the forks up 15mm.  Any further and the forks will interfere with the plastic cowling.  I have the lower seat and the lower links and after I set the sag I can set the balls of my feet on the ground and easily touch one foot flat.  I have a 30 inch inseam, small balls and a big belly.  Hope that helps.

Are you able to use the stock kickstand?

9 hours ago, Hammy said:

Are you able to use the stock kickstand?

You can, but it leaves the bike more vertical than I was comfortable with.  I used a Camel Adv side stand and it works well.

• 6 months later...

Little bump...

Any insights on the hyperpro option and on progressive progressive springs in general?

Thanks!