Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Melted clear coat while removing factory WARNING stickers?

TeabagInsurance

image0.thumb.jpeg.7251149e0d10f360d5bcf77262b3f126.jpeg

So I was removing the factory "warning" stickers from the tank with my heat gun and evidently heated it a bit too much. I think I melted the clear coat. Is this fixable? I'd like to get it looking back to normal if possible =(

Edited by TeabagInsurance

An auto body shop may be able to help.  It may need refinishing.  

42 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

No big deal, just cover it with a warning sticker.

I'll admit, I laughed.

... then continuing crying.

Quick update: I got the "dirty" finish cleaned up with a soft sponge and some soap. Just the bubbled clear coat that is killing me then...

1 hour ago, TeabagInsurance said:

I'll admit, I laughed.

... then continuing crying.

Quick update: I got the "dirty" finish cleaned up with a soft sponge and some soap. Just the bubbled clear coat that is killing me then...

Consider it “patina”. It’s a big dirt bike. It’s going to get scratched, dinged, dented and broken as it progresses to it’s eventual state of well worn beauty with every defect telling a story.  Embrace the Entropy

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Liquidape said:

Consider it “patina”. It’s a big dirt bike. It’s going to get scratched, dinged, dented and broken as it progresses to it’s eventual state of well worn beauty with every defect telling a story.  Embrace the Entropy

Fair enough, can't argue with you there haha.

I'm still going through the stages of grief. Is it possible to go through Denial, Anger, and Depression all simultaneously?? 😛

I think I'm going to see if I can buff out some it anyway. If it doesn't work, meh.

On my matte black T7 I had the bike in the sun for half an hour & both warning stickers peeled right off. 

That sucks,  A Tank Protector is in order. do a search lots of nice ones can be had.

There's a tank protector specifically for the T7...

yam_21_tan_pad-blk.jpg

*Helps protect your gas tank from nicks and abrasions caused by belt buckles, snaps, or zippers. *Durable rubberized texture. *Features Yamaha logo.

Edited by JohnnieBoy

You can always get a new fuel tank cover for around $150.00……sell the wrinkled clear coat one to someone who has more damage.

FC761DE4-774E-40F3-85D4-045B50510226.png

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 1

Tank protector, or...if the clear is bubbled as you say it needs refinishing, it will probably need base coat colour and clear coat, in other words paint the whole part,  match the colour not so easy.

3 hours ago, JohnnieBoy said:

There's a tank protector specifiucally for the T7...

yam_21_tan_pad-blk.jpg

*Helps protect your gas tank from nicks and abrasions caused by belt buckles, snaps, or zippers. *Durable rubberized texture. *Features Yamaha logo.

I did see that, but it looks like it isn’t quite wide enough to cover the blemish from where it would stick to the tank. The snakeskin one looks like it would, possibly others.

So, do you actually ride this machine or just admire it?

As others have already said, it’s a big dirt bike, treat it as such. 

Next time leave it in the sun for 30 minutes, no more heat gun for you. 

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

I pealed it off as best I could then used Goo Gone to clean up the residue. 

just take some good wax and buff it good. You'll soon forget all about it when you drop the bike, bend the crash bars and put a hairline crack in the panel! 

Just joshin' ya, I know how it feels to get the "first" blemish on your baby-

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Burner said:

I literally picked it up on Sunday and haven’t had time to ride it this week. But yes, I have crash bars ready to install and will be throwing it at some trails and most definitely expect to drop it.

I’m not bothered enough to pay to have it refinished or replaced, but still, it doesn’t hurt to ask and see if it is easy enough to repair, does it?

it’s not only the first new vehicle I’ve ever owned, but I’ll admit I’m mildly annoyed that the first blemish isn’t even from a dirt mishap. I’m aware it’s not a big deal.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Burner said:

Nothing wrong with pride of ownership... to some it's more than a "Big Dirt Bike" 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Clearly internet forums aren’t the best platform for my brand of sarcasm… my apologies for any hurt feelings. You’ll forget about the blemish soon enough, I’ll even send you a sticker to cover it! 

* and thanks to sensitivity police for a second thumbs down 👮‍♀️

Edited by Burner
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Burner said:

Clearly internet forums aren’t the best platform for my brand of sarcasm… my apologies for any hurt feelings. You’ll forget about the blemish soon enough, I’ll even send you a sticker to cover it! 

* and thanks to sensitivity police for a second thumbs down 👮‍♀️

use emoji's to support your "Sarcasm" and then people get the humor.  No emoji so people take your words verbatim and it comes across as a "dick" move/post. I have been guilty of being a dick on the internet before! I know! 😉

4 minutes ago, Firebolter said:

use emoji's to support your "Sarcasm" and then people get the humor.  No emoji so people take your words verbatim and it comes across as a "dick" move/post. I have been guilty of being a dick on the internet before! I know! 😉

Noted!  💯👍😜.   I think I’m getting the hang of it!!

• Like 1

Can y’all get back on topic?? Can’t you see I’m still crying over here?!

I also broke my couch by sitting on it with my fat ass not 10 minutes after wrinkling the clear coat yesterday. Drowned my sorrows with some beers after work and I’m mostly over it now.

😫🤌🥲☠️

If you go to the T7 parts for sale section (on this forum!)  there's a guy selling all of his red/white plastics... he went to a different color. He sold some of them separately but I believe he still has the white gas tank cover. He's asking $60.

Edit: Here's a link...

"Complete set of White/Red Fairings - T7 Parts for sale - Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum" https://www.tenere700.net/topic/2768-complete-set-of-whitered-fairings/

Edited by JohnnieBoy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1