Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bent rear sprocket?

jdk2man

Question

So, i am doing the tubeless conversion, and one of the first things I did after removing the tire is true the rim and make sure all the spokes are tight.

after getting that done as close as possible, when i spin the tire on the balancer, the sprocket goes in and out by at least a 1/4 inch. like it is bent.

At first I thought I had the wheel mounted wrong on the balancer and un-trued it maybe, but when I look at the brake disk on the other side, it is fine. It is just the sprocket.

I havent removed it yet to see if it is the actual sprocket or the mounting plate. I hope it is just a bent sprocket. 

Im not sure if I would have bent it trying to get the wheel off but I dont think I used that much pressure.

Anyway, anyone else ever see this?

Any recommendations for an after market sprocket? 

Maybe different tooth count?  I do mainly street riding with occasional offroad. So would there be a better count for that, without replacing the front?

Thanks in advance 

7 answers to this question

The cush drive assembly may not be in all the way equally.

• Like 3

The rear sproket is just inserted in the wheel hub through rabber dumpers there are no screws holding it. Are your sure the assembly is pushed all the way in the wheel hub?
You can easily check the sprocket by pulling it off the wheel than placing on an even surface.

Amortisseur de couple

Edited by didier

That's all it was.  Sprocket it fine.

Thanks so much. 

Haven't had a chain driven bike in a long time.  

I will sometimes grease the outside of rubber bushings, so that the metal cush drive sprocket assembly slides in easier.

You should be truing your wheel with cush drive removed.

• Like 1

If it bothers you pull the sprocket and lay  it on a flat surface.

My truck was make’n a strange noise. Took a mechanic  friend for A ride. Couldn’t hear it. 

“It’s right there!”

“Ok, turn up the radio.”

“Hear it now?”

“No”

“fixed!”

1 hour ago, REDHORSECA said:

I will sometimes grease the outside of rubber bushings, so that the metal cush drive sprocket assembly slides in easier.

I use either diluted NoMar or RuGlyde tire lube on the sprocket carrier lugs….just a little on the lugs and everything slides into the hub nicely.