Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Weird resonant noise at ~60km/h and ~120km/h

Stabilo_Boss

I am getting an annoying noise around 60km/h and 120km/h from the back of the bike. It has a frequency of about 5 times a second and twice that at 120km/h. I was worried the there might be something wrong with the bearings. I inflated the tire to spec but it made no difference. I have 950km on the odometer and the noise started at around 400km. Today after about 150km the noise would get worse when hitting bumps. Could it be the chain?

Change your tires. The stock Pirelli's are well known to be the source of a number of problems. This could be another. If you ride predominantly on dirt, look at the Tractionator, or Mitas 07+, or ... If predominantly road, there are a bunch of better solutions.

It's very doubtful it is the chain, or bearings, or drive sprockets, etc.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I'm thinking it's the stock tyres, I noticed they became a bit noisier with wear,  it seems that shouldn't be so because they aren't such an aggressive block pattern,one cure would be fitting Motoz tractionator adventure tyres, they are so loud you'll be totally sure where the noise is coming from!

1 hour ago, Stevoh said:

I'm thinking it's the stock tyres, I noticed they became a bit noisier with wear,  it seems that shouldn't be so because they aren't such an aggressive block pattern,one cure would be fitting Motoz tractionator adventure tyres, they are so loud you'll be totally sure where the noise is coming from!

Especially when the front wears. The Motoz Rallz positively scream at speed when they start to look like this. So loud that they drown out the music playing through my Sena.  And I wear ear plugs. 

FC8DED64-FF74-408F-87C7-D0EB8BCECE99.thumb.jpeg.db5c99e103b5bd463f5cb47b45e521a0.jpeg

• 11 months later...

Hi everybody,

i have exatcly the same problem as you discribed. Could you solve this issue? Did a lot to figure out the reason and will now at least change the tire?

Thanks very much for your help!

Best regards from southern Germany

I had the same going on, NOT the tire. at the time I solved it by swapping out the chain rollers, that did it for me.

• Like 1

The oem Pirellis are a source of exactly the noise you are describing...its very likely most of the issue.

Also as mentioned the chain rollers are hard and dont have bearings..just bushings....and are noisy too....roller bearing replacements are the cure.

• Like 1

58yrs old/brother/husband/father/paramedic/soldier🇨🇦 

8 hours ago, thepointchris said:

I had the same going on, NOT the tire. at the time I solved it by swapping out the chain rollers, that did it for me.

i will check this first. i thought i can sort this out,  because the resonating sound is while coasting or accelerating exacrky the same an by turning backwards for better listening the sound is more located to the wheel - but for sure the reason for rsonating frequency can be the chain … so i give it a try next - thank you!