Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

NEBDR

2-Wheel Wnderer

Just a question out of curiosity. Has anyone participated in the North East Backcountry Discovery Route? I'm an average to above average rider and plan on tackling the route solo. It breaks one of my rules about riding backcountry without another person, but I'm new to the area and have some free time. How is the terrain? Is it attainable? I've spent most of my Adventure Riding Time in Arizona where the terrain  can get rocky, sandy and unstable at times. Just looking to add a notch to the bed post metaphorically speaking. Thanks in advance for the reply and safe travels to all!

I’ve ridden the whole length of the NEBDR on my T7. Rode it early June this year. Was accompanying a friend on a DR 650. It is definitely all doable. Some pretty challenging muddy sections and challenging rocky uphill and downhill  sections. Takes full concentration to get through those sections, but oh so much fun!I would say I’m average to above average rider. Happy riding. 

123BD92F-CCA2-4FCE-9A78-FE0DBB3527F6.jpeg

5657D266-6E0A-45E9-9080-7922B324E8D2.jpeg

• Like 5

• Moderators

Moved to NE Regional section so this doesn't get buried in General Discussion.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 6/28/2021 at 6:01 PM, 2-Wheel Wnderer said:

Just a question out of curiosity. Has anyone participated in the North East Backcountry Discovery Route? I'm an average to above average rider and plan on tackling the route solo. It breaks one of my rules about riding backcountry without another person, but I'm new to the area and have some free time. How is the terrain? Is it attainable? I've spent most of my Adventure Riding Time in Arizona where the terrain  can get rocky, sandy and unstable at times. Just looking to add a notch to the bed post metaphorically speaking. Thanks in advance for the reply and safe travels to all!

I just finished up the NEBDR yesterday with two friends.  We did sections 1-5 last September and completed sections 6-8 over the last three days.  We rode about 200 miles a day and had an absolute blast. 

I consider myself to be an above average experienced rider and personally would not ride the NEBDR alone, at least not on a heavier adventure bike like the T7.  There are definitely a few challenging sections but overall the route is not particularly difficult especially for an experienced rider.  But I think it would be more doable (and enjoyable) to ride it alone if you're on a reliable thumper that doesn't weigh 400+ pounds.  I dropped my loaded up T7 once on a very rocky uphill portion of section 7, and without the help of my friends, I don't know that I would have been able to pick it up by myself. 

Also, there are some portions of the NEBDR where you are in very remote areas (especially in New Hampshire in Maine) with nobody around for miles and little or no cell service if you find yourself in an emergency.  There are sections that are challenging, but certainly not impossible.  In my opinion it just isn't desirable to do this ride alone, but I realize everyone is different.  Good luck to you if you decide to go. 

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 1

@2-Wheel Wnderer Never ridden this route but I ride solo often. Everyone has their own level of risk acceptance, so I weigh people's feedback and, if a route seems doable, I'll go and see for myself, knowing if the riding gets beyond my skill level I can and will just turn around.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well just a little update. Finished the NEBDR yesterday solo, and without taking the go arounds. Came across quite a bit of mud due to the persistent rain as of late. All in all a good experience. Only put the bike down twice and once was just losing my footing on a sandy turn around. Vermont by far was the most fun and challenging sections. Definitely requires some skill and patience. Thanks for the info and can't wait to try out the next one!

Edited by 2-Wheel Wnderer
  • Like 3