Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Finally Got One!

Adventure Jim

Been lurking on this forum for a year now. Debating on bikes for most of that time, and put money down on a T7 back in April. Just got it yesterday, only had a few hours to ride, but wow, what a fun bike!

Sold my DRZ400SM with a set of dirt wheels since it was a bit lacking on long trips. Rented an Africa Twin and some KTM's which were nice. I almost pulled the trigger on the AT, because the wife could go with me. The deciding factors were that the AT was a bit too heavy for me in the dirt, and my wife has only ridden with me a few times a year. Also, I can still rent the AT, or KTM whenever I want. The Husky/KTM 990 thread was helpful, as well as the T7 vs AT here and on ADV Rider.

My other bikes are a VFR1200,  RC51, (1993 and 1990) VFR750's - Sold are the DRZ400SM, and SV650 Race Bike. Yes, I like V4's and twins, especially with gear driven cams!

My street and track skills are pretty high, I can hold my own in A Group on a good day against all but the best riders. I only get passed on the street once every two years by someone who is usually an absolute nut. My off road skills are not even close to that level. Bought my first DRZ40S brand new in 2012, and finally started dirt riding in 2013. I never knew I was going to crash so much 🤣. Luckily the off road crashes were all at relatively low speed. I spent the first year or two at motorcycle parks, then got bored and started riding for adventure, and some moto-camping.  In 2018 I sold the 2012 DRZ400S, and bought the 2006 DRZ400SM, along with some dirt wheels. Around that time I was also taking riding classes, going to the track, and rode everyday for almost 3 years just to improve my riding. The SM taught me a lot too, especially how fast you can actually ride on less than 40hp. I still have access to the DRZ if needed ( sold to my riding buddy), but am looking forward to the T7 since I won't have to take it in the back of the truck, or try to avoid freeways at all costs, and stop for gas every 60 miles.

Anyway, looking forward to setting it up to my liking and getting out there on some adventures!

T7.jpg

• Like 8

Enjoy your new bike!! Cheers,  Steve 

Excellent colour choice! You won't regret buying the Tenere over an Africa Twin - the AT is a good two-up tourer but it's a heavy beast off road compared to the Tenere. If most of your riding is solo, the Tenere will do the job just fine. Enjoy!

Thanks!

I did not have a choice on the color, as it was their last allocation for 2021. I like all 3 color schemes,  and wouldn't mind any of them. The Rad and White both have metallic in them and actually look really good in the sunlight. Rode 100 miles today, did some off road, and lots of twisty's. Rode the tires from edge to edge, the stock tires are good on the street, and seemed ok off road. Way more power than the DRZ, and almost as nimble on road. Have to get used to the height off road, or maybe it's the way you sit on the bike. I can easily steer it with the throttle in the dirt, just have to get better at it. 

Having fun already!

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Adventure JimWelcome.  As a former DRZ400S owner, who built his own SM back in 2004 before the OEM model came out, yeah on those bikes, you can learn a lot with not much being "under the hood". You've already found the T7 similar in handling paved twisties, but no doubt with corner exits a bit brisker. The bike has tq for days and can really be ridden in a gear or two higher than the DRZ and still not stumble when rolling on the throttle. Good that you still have access to your old DRZ, it would be fun to compare back to back on the same trails and twisted stuff. Enjoy the new steed!

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Congrats for picking up a great bike @Adventure JimThe more you use it the more you can't get enough of it.  Have fun and post often of your new found bike and ventures.  

I have almost 400 miles already and took it off road yesterday and today. What a fun bike, mostly roads, but a bit of off road which is hard to find in the bay area. I had no idea what a good street bike this was. It's like a big supermoto that is super smooth. Still not going over 7K rpm, and half throttle - doing a ridiculous pace on twisty/bumpy roads and still in ECO mode. I was laughing out loud, inside my helmet! My buddy was chasing me on the DRZ...🤣

So far only a few small nitpicks - 

First of all, who designed the front and rear blinkers that fall out on bumpy roads - Isn't this a dirt bike????

Did the same guy design the throttle grips? I have a blister on my throttle hand from the waffle pattern being so deep, and the rubber compound us way too hard, and grips are paper thin.

Last one - how do you clean the back side of the windscreen without taking it off????

Other than that, this bike is bliss! You can beat it like a super moto and it is buttery smooth, with a creamy torque curve. And those stock tires just get it done, no matter the pavement surface. I will get my oil filter tomorrow, so I can do my 600 mile service, and get on with full throttle mode. It is a great bike! I will be ordering nice levers, hand guards, super moto fender, crash bars, panniers and rack tomorrow. Will sort the suspension too - I think I can live with the stock set up, just have to get all the settings right, at least for the street.

Super happy!

• Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 8:07 PM, Adventure Jim said:

First of all, who designed the front and rear blinkers that fall out on bumpy roads - Isn't this a dirt bike????

Did the same guy design the throttle grips? I have a blister on my throttle hand from the waffle pattern being so deep, and the rubber compound us way too hard, and grips are paper thin.

Last one - how do you clean the back side of the windscreen without taking it off????

Super happy!

I'm sure you have a favorite grip style but I like to run larger diameter grips for big hands.  I use these on the stock waffles.  They work great and I've found they usually last 2+years before getting a bit squished.

I'll see if I can remember which version I got that fit.  I had to trim a little bit of the length to fit.

Improve your ride with the Original Grip Buddies; they help reduce fatigue and increase your control over your bike on any ride.

J

On 7/5/2021 at 10:07 PM, Adventure Jim said:

I have almost 400 miles already and took it off road yesterday and today. What a fun bike, mostly roads, but a bit of off road which is hard to find in the bay area. I had no idea what a good street bike this was. It's like a big supermoto that is super smooth. Still not going over 7K rpm, and half throttle - doing a ridiculous pace on twisty/bumpy roads and still in ECO mode. I was laughing out loud, inside my helmet! My buddy was chasing me on the DRZ...🤣

Other than that, this bike is bliss! You can beat it like a super moto and it is buttery smooth, with a creamy torque curve. And those stock tires just get it done, no matter the pavement surface. I will get my oil filter tomorrow, so I can do my 600 mile service, and get on with full throttle mode. It is a great bike! I will be ordering nice levers, hand guards, super moto fender, crash bars, panniers and rack tomorrow. Will sort the suspension too - I think I can live with the stock set up, just have to get all the settings right, at least for the street.

Super happy!

The back of the windshield can be easily cleaned if you have the Motopumps screen adjuster installed….high quality and works perfect on my T7.

Billet Aluminum Windshield Adjuster for the Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
On 7/5/2021 at 10:07 PM, Adventure Jim said:

Awesome, thanks for all the input!

After researching this forum, I opened up the wallet this week and purchased the following:

Crash Bars

Rally Seat

Racks and Panniers (pre-ordered )

Heated Grips  (pre-ordered )

Billet Levers

Hand Guards

Tank Bag

Flip-Up Fuel Cap

Tank Grippers

Rear LED Blinkers

Battery Tender Pigtail

Vinyl Graphics

Frame Protectors

I will post up some pics when I get it all done!

Still Researching:

Tail Bag

Pivot Pegz

Windscreen Adjusters

Front LED Blinkers

Tail Tidy

Billet Clutch Arm

Headlight Protector ( stock headlight is ~$500 to replace!)

Supermoto High Fender Kit

Tubeless Wheel Conversion - Outex or Similar

Maybe in the future:

Slip-on

Re-Flash

Upgraded Suspension

Just over 400 miles now, and a camping trip down Route 1 (PCH) and I should be ready for the first oil change. Then some full-throttle action. 

Thanks again everyone!

Congratulations and welcome to an incredibly helpful forum. I like your mindset, ride everyday to get better!

Please keep us posted on your upgrades in this thread, I’m following!

Johannes.