Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Removal of plastic headlight surround

jeff936

Question

Hi

Has anyone pulled off the plastic surround that wraps around the front of the headlight?

Or has a smashed headlight that they could find with?

Thanks Jeff 

7 answers to this question

So I smashed my headlight recently so I had a look at the surround. You need to separate the lense to get to the screws that hold the surround on. It can only be purchased with the headlight.  I ordered a new headlight, but I'm rocking my taped up smashed one until it no longer works.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Canadian-t7 said:

So I smashed my headlight recently so I had a look at the surround. You need to separate the lense to get to the screws that hold the surround on. It can only be purchased with the headlight.  I ordered a new headlight, but I'm rocking my taped up smashed one until it no longer works.

Many Headlight lenses can be separated from the housing with heat.  Low heat in an oven loosens the adhesive then they pry apart.  Are these attached in the same way?

J

@Goldentaco yeah, same style. I've yet to see a headlight that didn't come apart like that. The surround will make it very tricky to separate because of the overlap it has on the lense.

On 7/29/2021 at 6:16 AM, Canadian-t7 said:

Thanks Canadian - T7, good to know. I was looking at different light options instead of installing more on the bike. 

Do you have any pictures of what it looks like and location of screws and how to lenses it fitted. Understand it is broken though. 

14 hours ago, Canadian-t7 said:

@Goldentaco yeah, same style. I've yet to see a headlight that didn't come apart like that. The surround will make it very tricky to separate because of the overlap it has on the lense.

I don't have any pictures. I took the headlight out of the headlight bucket to tape over the lense. I didn't disassemble the headlight any further. From what I could see there are 4-6 screws that hold the surround to the headlight lense. You would separate the lens from the headlight then the surround from the lense. Not thinking you could add anymore lights or anything in place of the surround. Removing the surround  would also leave the 4-6 screw holes through the lense.  I will update when I get the new headlight. Was told minimum 1 month. My speedo is also smashed so I'm using a GPS app for speed, mileage and checking my fuel level the old fashioned way. 

20210718_144950.jpg

20210716_170939.jpg

Edited by Canadian-t7
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Canadian-t7 said:

I don't have any pictures. I took the headlight out of the headlight bucket to tape over the lense. I didn't disassemble the headlight any further. From what I could see there are 4-6 screws that hold the surround to the headlight lense. You would separate the lens from the headlight then the surround from the lense. Not thinking you could add anymore lights or anything in place of the surround. Removing the surround  would also leave the 4-6 screw holes through the lense.  I will update when I get the new headlight. Was told minimum 1 month. My speedo is also smashed so I'm using a GPS app for speed, mileage and checking my fuel level the old fashioned way. 

20210718_144950.jpg

20210716_170939.jpg

Wow nasty crash bud, hope your OK . Looks like the the glass sits well under the shroud. makes you wonder how they get it all together. No doubt they have a method. 

I found this protector on line. I have another light that needs modifying. I was hoping to get the shroud off and pull the glass out and install better lights and somehow make this new cover removable. But it looks tricky.

Thanks for the pictures, mush appreciated. If you figure out how disassembles it would be great information for the forum. 

Ride safe

Jeff. 

IMG_6750.jpg

IMG_6751.jpg

• Like 1