Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Considering T700

StephenPaul

Hi, considering buying a T700, in fact pretty sure that's what I'll get once covid lockdown means travel is possible in Europe.

T700 looks to be the best mid range dual sport bike available.  I tried the KTM 1290 AS and it didn't feel as exciting as the GT and off-road I don't think the power will be useful, lower weight probably far more beneficial.  The 890 is still quite low, the T700 felt more upright and comfortable.

Anyway, looks like a very useful forum, I like the Beringer calliper conversion, might have a go at that ! 🙂 

• Like 2

Welcome aboard @StephenPaul.  Buy the bike and then buy the conversion.  Nothing worse than having a bunch of parts for the 700 and no bike to install them to.  And if you have to order the bike and wait a while to get it, then you'll need lots of basement space for the new heap of accessories that will build up beforehand.  Have fun.  Hope you get one soon.

Yeah I was originally considering the 1290 SAR, or super duke gt. I came to the conclusion that I wanted to be riding more offroad, and riding singletrack. So although the t7 lacks power on road its pretty fantastic offroad. The road handling is great too, it's certainly more fun then my fz07. The power thing is person by person dependant, but that's my 2 cents on the topic. My fault is if I have the power I'm gonna use it, and that doesn't always work out. 

• Like 1

Do not make the mistake in thinking that the T7 "lacks power". It doesn't. It has more than enough power for anything reasonable you can throw at it and what it was designed for,  including long stretches on the motorway with full luggage. The fact that there are bikes with more power on the market does not make everything with lesser specs is "lacking". A 1290 of 1250 gs have a different character, but that's more due to weight, size, wind protection and luxury comforts, than the extra horsepower in any meaningful sense. 

Off road, you'll enjoy every kilometer more with the T7. For long distances, wind protection and noise, lack of cruise control may have you doubting if a more road touring bike wouldn't have been a better option. That is in essence the tradeoff you will have to make in a choice. But not the power.

Edited by WalterT
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, WalterT said:

Do not make the mistake in thinking that the T7 "lacks power". It doesn't. It has more than enough power for anything reasonable you can throw at it and what it was designed for,  including long stretches on the motorway with full luggage. The fact that there are bikes with more power on the market does not make everything with lesser specs is "lacking". A 1290 of 1250 gs have a different character, but that's more due to weight, size, wind protection and luxury comforts, than the extra horsepower in any meaningful sense. 

Off road, you'll enjoy every kilometer more with the T7. For long distances, wind protection and noise, lack of cruise control may have you doubting if a more road touring bike wouldn't have been a better option. That is in essence the tradeoff you will have to make in a choice. But not the power.

Spot on...

• Like 2

Well. StephenPaul, you seem to llready know it.

The T700 has enought power on tje road (allthough, 20 mor hp would be nice doing "travel distances").
The power is more than enough for me doing mostly gravel roads and some "tractor roads".

When I want that kick in the but, I get my SD1290R out on tarmac roads, but I would not want that kind of power on gravel, the traction control (which would be needed) would take away to much fun.

12 hours ago, Landshark said:

Welcome aboard @StephenPaul.  Buy the bike and then buy the conversion.  Nothing worse than having a bunch of parts for the 700 and no bike to install them to.  And if you have to order the bike and wait a while to get it, then you'll need lots of basement space for the new heap of accessories that will build up beforehand.  Have fun.  Hope you get one soon.

Been waiting on mine since early Feb.  Deposits at 3 dealerships.  Delay after delay... Sheesh.  

• Sad 1

Wow, hang in there, I had my deposit in early April, and just got mine. Now many of the parts and accessories I want are backordered - I hope this is not the new normal...

19 hours ago, StephenPaul said:

Hi, considering buying a T700, in fact pretty sure that's what I'll get once covid lockdown means travel is possible in Europe.

T700 looks to be the best mid range dual sport bike available.  I tried the KTM 1290 AS and it didn't feel as exciting as the GT and off-road I don't think the power will be useful, lower weight probably far more beneficial.  The 890 is still quite low, the T700 felt more upright and comfortable.

Anyway, looks like a very useful forum, I like the Beringer calliper conversion, might have a go at that ! 🙂 

Just go for it you won't be disappointed. I got the train down from Glasgow to Loughborough to pick mine up last month, had a few days tearing around Wales then had an amazing blast back up the motorway to Glasgow. Was nearly going to do a more scenic route home but the motorway was clear, weather amazing and the bike was just incredible. No lack of power for me, cruising very comfortably 90+. Smiling all the way 😎. Haven't taken it off road yet, crash bars on order the I'll give it a go. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nik Hum said:

Well. StephenPaul, you seem to llready know it.

The T700 has enought power on tje road (allthough, 20 mor hp would be nice doing "travel distances").
The power is more than enough for me doing mostly gravel roads and some "tractor roads".

When I want that kick in the but, I get my SD1290R out on tarmac roads, but I would not want that kind of power on gravel, the traction control (which would be needed) would take away to much fun.

My thoughts exactly, 20 more hp is all it really needs. On the real dirt, which most of you won't ride, 75hp is more then enough. If your down for "puttering around" then even 50hp will do you just fine. Considering how many people upgraded from things like klr650's it would seem to have gobs of power......

It is all subjective... We think a T7 is light and nimble with plenty of power. On a dirt bike forum they think a 450 pound twin cylinder motorcycle is a massive pig that only someone dropped on their head as a child would take off road. Even the word "single track" is subjective. Someone's walking path thru the woods can be a "single track", as is a goat path in the rocky mountains that you can hardly crawl up.

The T7 is a fine mid-weight adventure bike...

This is my 8-HP, 200 pound off road bike...

Hawthorne MK3 001.jpg

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.  

I should have said I'm buying it to do some long distance trips, from the UK to Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia first, a week or so travelling then a week working then travel again.  Lots of off road, or as much as I can find.  Eventually want to go further to Asia, the stans etc.

I've been watching MAD TV for some time and see Dave has a T700 and really rates it, especially with the Rally Raid kit.  I can't go any lighter than 200Kg as the bikes get too small for euro road travel so the T700 looks ideal.

2 hours ago, Hibobb said:

It is all subjective... We think a T7 is light and nimble with plenty of power. On a dirt bike forum they think a 450 pound twin cylinder motorcycle is a massive pig that only someone dropped on their head as a child would take off road. Even the word "single track" is subjective. Someone's walking path thru the woods can be a "single track", as is a goat path in the rocky mountains that you can hardly crawl up.

The T7 is a fine mid-weight adventure bike...

This is my 8-HP, 200 pound off road bike...

Hawthorne MK3 001.jpg

I’ve got no idea what I’m looking at but I’ll give it a go. 

@Hibobb I was definitely dropped on my head as a child, lol. I enjoy the challenge of navigating such a large bike through places it shouldn't go.  You are most definitely right that it is a really great mid weight adventure bike.

1 hour ago, Guys said:

I’ve got no idea what I’m looking at but I’ll give it a go. 

1969 Rokon Trailbreaker, 2WD. Three speed (hand shift) transmission

Top speed maybe 18mph. No suspension, other than maybe 1" springs in the seat and the squish in the 2psi tires.

It really does work well as a play bike. 

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

22 hours ago, Adventure Jim said:

Wow, hang in there, I had my deposit in early April, and just got mine. Now many of the parts and accessories I want are backordered - I hope this is not the new normal...

Are you in Canada? 

15 hours ago, StephenPaul said:

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.  

I should have said I'm buying it to do some long distance trips, from the UK to Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia first, a week or so travelling then a week working then travel again.  Lots of off road, or as much as I can find.  Eventually want to go further to Asia, the stans etc.

I've been watching MAD TV for some time and see Dave has a T700 and really rates it, especially with the Rally Raid kit.  I can't go any lighter than 200Kg as the bikes get too small for euro road travel so the T700 looks ideal.

Honestly, even for Europe you don't really need a 200kg bike. My wife and I road all over Europe on our Husqy TR650 Terras. From Belgium to Ukraine through Czech republic, Slovakia, Poland. But also through the Baltics and Scandinavia. We did the Balkans multiple times on those bikes. And they're 183kg. Unless you plan on doing loads of autobahn similar bikes will do just fine.

That isn't to say the T700 is a bad choice. It is an awesome package and I love riding it as well. But I would still take my Terra if I were to ride to the middle east, russia or central asia again.

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

2 hours ago, duibhceK said:

Honestly, even for Europe you don't really need a 200kg bike. My wife and I road all over Europe on our Husqy TR650 Terras. From Belgium to Ukraine through Czech republic, Slovakia, Poland. But also through the Baltics and Scandinavia. We did the Balkans multiple times on those bikes. And they're 183kg. Unless you plan on doing loads of autobahn similar bikes will do just fine.

That isn't to say the T700 is a bad choice. It is an awesome package and I love riding it as well. But I would still take my Terra if I were to ride to the middle east, russia or central asia again.

Sure, Ed did more than that on a Honda C90 . . . 

But Being more realistic for me, a twin is less vibey than a single, a modern bike is more reliable than older bikes as less has already worn out and I know people have used KTM 690s for rtw trips without any major issue but I think the T700 is probably the ideal compromise where I have to use a lot of paved roads - still not as heavy as BMW 750/800/850 GSs, KTM 790/890 and well below the Africa Twins weight, and the T700 has the capability of day long rides 10+ hours if necessary.  Might be different if I was riding around Africa.

I might change my mind once I've used it for a few long trips in the UK and come looking for a single 🙂

2 hours ago, StephenPaul said:

Sure, Ed did more than that on a Honda C90 . . . 

But Being more realistic for me, a twin is less vibey than a single, a modern bike is more reliable than older bikes as less has already worn out and I know people have used KTM 690s for rtw trips without any major issue but I think the T700 is probably the ideal compromise where I have to use a lot of paved roads - still not as heavy as BMW 750/800/850 GSs, KTM 790/890 and well below the Africa Twins weight, and the T700 has the capability of day long rides 10+ hours if necessary.  Might be different if I was riding around Africa.

The TR is one of the smoothest singles I've ever ridden. But you're right, the T700 is significantly smoother still. I can handle 2-3 hours of sustained 130-140kph of autobahn on the TR. I could probably handle an entire day of autobahn mile munching on the T700 if I really had to. None of that is really an option on a C90.

On the trails in Bosnia, Montenegro or Albania the Terra is way easier to handle than the Tenere, with the lower weight and the significantly lower CoG with the underseat tank.

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings