Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Gearbox whine

Deck

Hi to all ...my T7 has a whine mainly in 3rd gear..done this from new has 2500 miles on it now and its a 2020 bike...anyone else have this ....notice it more at slow speeds..cherrs Deck

2020 6500km, no noticeable whine that I can hear.

I'd be taking it back to the dealership at least for it to be noted.

@Deck Is it a noise you hear when releasing the gaz (engine breaking)? Like some powertool milling the metal?

That's the only noise I have but it is perfectly normal, just gear noise. It was worse when I had a Triumph Tiger.

Hi..i wish i could describe it better..it doesn't really do it in other gears just third and yes its there when you shut off but its really loud on and off the throttle. I wangled a test ride on a 2021 demo model at a dealers and it was quiet as a mouse, just normal gear noise. Oh well...

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like some skid plates really accentuate normal engine/gearbox noise. I wonder if that's the case with your bike? Stock skidplate or aftermarket?

Might I suggest a better pair of earplugs? 😉

• Like 1

Yeah it's there. As mentioned, the skid plate likely attenuates what is normal gear whine. 
Faired touring bikes do this.

• 1 year later...

My 2021 T7 with around 4000km on the clock (bought new just under 12 months ago) has and issue I describe as is a whistle, whine or squeal noise noticeable only in 5th gear, when rolling or the throttle is off the noise is very quiet or not noticeable, however when accelerating or the throttle is on the noise is always present. I have noticed this since new, however I believe it has gradually got louder.

The dealer has done extensive fault finding on all external components and workings of the bike that could be causing the whistle/ squeal type of noise which is present only in 5th gear. I understand the oil has been changed, wheel bearings replaced, rear sprocket bearing replaced, wind screen height adjusted. However none of this external changes have made a difference. 

Yamaha are now say that I take the bike back and continue to ride it to see if this eventuates into an issue or if its just a characteristic of the bike !? And the only other option is that the internals are opened up for inspection. 

@Deck did you make any progress with your issue? It sounds similar just in a different great.