Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tubeless wheels

Reeko81

Has anyone ever thought about tubeless conversion on our bikes? 
I’m a bit a paranoid, I wouldn’t fall for a simple puncture, because you know, with tubes deflating is really faster than tubeless...

what do you think about?

I’ve just phoned Bartubeless to have some info. They make tubeless mod for our bikes, but changing front rims is mandatory, cause our original front wheel has not safety hump... but they offer a different rim size, 21x2.15 instead of the original 21x1.85.

I’m not really confident about this change. The main reason is that there’s no producer that makes a 21x1.85 rim with safety hump. Maybe by the next months... who knows

1 hour ago, cabby said:

I converted the rear on my AT to tubeless, I intend to do the same on the T7

And why not the front? Same size problem as on T7?

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Reeko81 said:

And why not the front? Same size problem as on T7?

Apparently the front tyre doesn't sit on the bead on the AT front rim, quite a few tried and failed so I didn't bother attempting. 

10 hours ago, cabby said:

Apparently the front tyre doesn't sit on the bead on the AT front rim, quite a few tried and failed so I didn't bother attempting. 

So you’d prefer running with one wheel tubeless and the other tube full? My goal would be to have both tubeless for a more safe ride 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Reeko81 said:

Has anyone ever thought about tubeless conversion on our bikes? 
I’m a bit a paranoid, I wouldn’t fall for a simple puncture, because you know, with tubes deflating is really faster than tubeless...

what do you think about?

I’ve just phoned Bartubeless to have some info. They make tubeless mod for our bikes, but changing front rims is mandatory, cause our original front wheel has not safety hump... but they offer a different rim size, 21x2.15 instead of the original 21x1.85.

I’m not really confident about this change. The main reason is that there’s no producer that makes a 21x1.85 rim with safety hump. Maybe by the next months... who knows

Interesting thread. I prefer tubeless wheels due to the hassle of repairing flats on tubes with modern tires. It's very hard to break the bead.

I was under the impression that rim design was pretty much a given in terms of the safety bump, as  shown in the diagram below. I can only guess two bead humps can not be placed properly on a 1.85" width rim.

011316-skidmarks-dark-side-riders-rim-1.jpg.7aa6eaba979d66cf0e916fe7fd688800.jpg

Edited by Phaedrus

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Reeko81 said:

So you’d prefer running with one wheel tubeless and the other tube full? My goal would be to have both tubeless for a more safe ride 

No I would prefer both were tubeless as explained earlier. 

5 hours ago, Phaedrus said:

. I can only guess two bead humps can not be placed properly on a 1.85" width rim.

That’s not true... excel produced 21x1.60” with bead humps... as you can figure, it’s narrower than 21x1.85”.

They stopped producing because there wasn’t a lot of demand . Now that a lot of new adventure bike with this 21x1.85” has been produced and the search for a tubeless product is larger than before who knows...

26 minutes ago, Reeko81 said:

That’s not true... excel produced 21x1.60” with bead humps... as you can figure, it’s narrower than 21x1.85”.

They stopped producing because there wasn’t a lot of demand . Now that a lot of new adventure bike with this 21x1.85” has been produced and the search for a tubeless product is larger than before who knows...

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification.

So is it possible for someone to buy tubeless wheels at the dimensions of the Tenere 700 ones? It would be nice to have a tubeless set...which brand is producing such wheels?

23 hours ago, al700 said:

So is it possible for someone to buy tubeless wheels at the dimensions of the Tenere 700 ones? It would be nice to have a tubeless set...which brand is producing such wheels?

Nowadays the only producer is Bartubeless, but you have to change front wheel size from 21x1.85 to 21x2.15.

I’ll wait for other solutions 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My friend make tubeless both of tyre and using with no problem...he hasnt change any rim but ı dont know how did he...maybe ı can tell him explain here...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Yammybound88 said:

@Reek081 check out https://www.off-the-road.de/en/700-Tenere/

cheers

-Bob

^ Am I missing something as I didn’t see any mention of the Excel rims / wheels there being tubeless. 

really got my hopes up there...they're not tubeless...:-(

Edited by Ride & Shine

I really don't get what the problem is with tubed tyres, all the guys I ride with go the other way & put tubes in there ktm 790s. just carry a couple of tubes, tyre levers & small pushbike pump in a rear bag & your right

• Like 1