Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Picking up a new bike far away?

kainic

The good news is that I finally have a solid lead on a bike. The bad news its 700+ miles away. I suppose I could do a fly and riding back over 12 hours on a bike that is not broken in is not something I want to do with a brand new bike.  Anyone else in same situation and what did you do? 

• Like 1

@Longhaulpaul did that when he first got his bike.

There isn't anything wrong with it as long as you ride it how it is.

He can probably chime in more with his experience when he is off the chopper that he is riding now 😛

Edited by TimmyTheHog

Life is short.... take a week off and make it an adventure coming back. It is no fun just pounding out the miles on some interstate highway.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Fly and rides are a blast. I bought a Vstrom in Portland and rode it back up here to Alaska, one of my favorite rides of all time. I had to ride my Tenere 270 miles back from the dealer, wish it was longer.

As stated above, take your time and make an adventure out of it.

• Like 1

Fly and ride would be a good chance to get acquainted with it.  Nothing wrong with doing a break in like that.  One suggestion would be to stop and let it completely cool off a few times on the ride.  It'll be broken in by the time you get back, do an oil change and you'll be set.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brad887766 said:

Fly and rides are a blast. I bought a Vstrom in Portland and rode it back up here to Alaska, one of my favorite rides of all time. I had to ride my Tenere 270 miles back from the dealer, wish it was longer.

As stated above, take your time and make an adventure out of it.

I bought an FJR in Seattle and rode it back to San Diego. I-5 to Portland and lunch with a buddy then to the coast and all the way down ... Amazing trip!

5 minutes ago, advrallymoto said:

Fly and ride would be a good chance to get acquainted with it.  Nothing wrong with doing a break in like that.  One suggestion would be to stop and let it completely cool off a few times on the ride.  It'll be broken in by the time you get back, do an oil change and you'll be set.

Smart man right here ... breaking in is all about heat cycles.

• Like 1

You could fly and rent a Uhaul truck and haul it home. Bonus if its going to California as they need their trucks back and its cheap going that direction.

As said heat cycles are good. Make it a mini adventure. Maybe camp out along the route for a couple of days, 

I did a fly & ride last summer. A little closer at about 500 miles. Decided to make it 2 days since I got out of the dealership late.

I'd definitely do it again .

If your pressed for time or you don't want to ride a new bike right off the showroom floor you can rent a bike trailer from U-Haul then drive to the bike shop and back.  The trailer is about 10 bucks a day.

I found my T7 on eBay.  Flew from St Louis to Daytona Beach Florida for a fly and ride.  It had all of 92 miles on it when I took off.  Stopped on the way back to do an oil change. An inmate on AdvRider offered his garage.  Quick stop, I was back on the road in 2 hrs max.  Hung out in the Smoky Mtns for a day and made it home the next day.   Two 500 mile days and a 200 mile day in the Smokys.   It was fun.  I did buy an AirHawk seat cushion.   It helped some, but butt pain was still the biggest issue.  Ha! 

Mine wasn't that far I was about 3oo miles away but I hauled it back on a trailer. Just was a lot easier and didn't have to pay for a transport plate.  Many people have done fly and rides. Could be a fun trip.  Its really all what you are most comfortable with. 700 Miles On the T7 seat could be rough. YMMV

The thought of riding it back sounds good but flying in and renting a truck to haul it back seems to be the most logical as I need to get back somewhat quick.  I suppose I could haul it back in a u-haul truck and don't need to also rent a trailer. It should fit in a 8ft bed?

Flying in, renting a truck, driving, then returning the truck doesn't seem *that* much faster than fly & ride?

There are so many great stories related to fly & ride you should at least consider it. I doubt you'll have regrets.

• Like 1

I bought  mine T7 also far away, initially I wanted take my van to collect but 

I hate wasting time on highways so I changed my mind and ask them o ship the bike 

to me.

The guy who bought my Super Tenere flew up from Phoenix to Rapid City last year. Met him at the airport with a full tank of gas and all the paperwork. He made a trip out of it and rode back over the following days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, delirium said:

I bought  mine T7 also far away, initially I wanted take my van to collect but 

I hate wasting time on highways so I changed my mind and ask them o ship the bike 

to me.

Who did you use to ship it?

If you do buy it far away, and truck it home, make sure you ride it around the block at least. Mine had the front wheel on backwards, and the ABS light would not go out.  They fixed it quickly, and I rode around the block again, and all was good. If I had not test rode it, I would have gotten home and been bummed when I went for my first ride.

14 hours ago, kainic said:

Who did you use to ship it?

dealer choose currier, don' know yet as delivery in few days. Let you know when it comes.

When I calculated  fuel I would use to get there and back it was almost the same as shipping rate, not to count wasted many hours on driving.

Not worthy. 

Edited by delirium