Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Engine oil color

DOZSO22

Hi!

I have a T7 with 4600 kms in it. The dealership did the 1000km first service on my bike and they put Motul 7100 10w40 in it.

So, at 4600kms my oil color is a bit dark ( and dont know how to describe it but some kind of dark red, I attached a picture of it ) when you watch it through the check window on the engine.

My mechanic said its normal that it becomes darker and darker, but I would like to ask other T7 owners to be sure that everything is OK.

I know that this oil has red color as brand new but I'm talking about the darkness of it now. ( The picture was made by flash.)

1183688089_IMG_14331.thumb.JPG.f6687cc7f30643df272c76bdb65f26bc.JPG

Thank you for your answers 😉

• Like 1

It’s fine, totally normal.

I’ve been running the same oil in mine since 1K also, currently at 14500kms.  

• Like 1

The color is fine. The fill level looks a little high however if that picture was taken a few minutes after the bike was shut down. 

• Like 1

I use regular colored "golden" oil and it turns black in no time at all.  I don't care what color it is as long as it's protecting the engine.  Yours looks fine.  Red colored oil you say.  The local bike shop sells a product called Royal Purple oil.  Purple oil?  Can you imagine.  What a gimmick.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 7/17/2021 at 6:17 PM, Landshark said:

I use regular colored "golden" oil and it turns black in no time at all.  I don't care what color it is as long as it's protecting the engine.  Yours looks fine.  Red colored oil you say.  The local bike shop sells a product called Royal Purple oil.  Purple oil?  Can you imagine.  What a gimmick.

Thanks, just checked my oil at 2700km:

20220613_091728.jpg.8d5d4e6ff6d8878881c1b2e7d4563441.jpg

It was golden before, was a bit worried.

Funnily, level has decreased quite a bit. Was almost over the top mark @1000km.

Had the workshop add a quick drain plug, but no signs of oil leakage, as far as I can tell.

Is that normal? I only remember oil "consumption" from my old '89 Toyota Starlet, which needed roughly a bottle every 2 or 3 gas stops 😁

2 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Thanks, just checked my oil at 2700km:

20220613_091728.jpg.8d5d4e6ff6d8878881c1b2e7d4563441.jpg

It was golden before, was a bit worried.

Funnily, level has decreased quite a bit. Was almost over the top mark @1000km.

Had the workshop add a quick drain plug, but no signs of oil leakage, as far as I can tell.

Is that normal? I only remember oil "consumption" from my old '89 Toyota Starlet, which needed roughly a bottle every 2 or 3 gas stops 😁

The bike may consume a bit of oil.  It shouldn't lose oil between oil changes throughout it's normal life.  

Edited by Landshark
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, Burner said:

It’s fine, totally normal.

I’ve been running the same oil in mine since 1K also, currently at 14500kms.  

You've been running the same oil for over 13,000kms? 😨

@op, completely normal. and Motul is red from the start, I change every 7-8k kms and comes out dark reddish

• Like 1