Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Signal light beeper wanted!

Landshark

To often I have left my signal on after I have made my turn and am afraid I'll leave myself in peril.  Since Yamaha didn't install self canceling signal lights I'm thinking an audible beeper may be in order.  

Does anyone think this will work?  Sorry for the long link.

https://www.amazon.ca/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Flasher-Indicator-Blinker/dp/B01M33EX59/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=turn+signal+relay+beeper&qid=1626541731&s=automotive&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSERaMVI1VUhVQUJaJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDIzOTY4M1VNOTdIWVRGUFU3UyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzI0NDU5M0RNQzZBWVA2VTJYMCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

@Landshark  "Self Canceling Turn Signals" are still around on some motorcycles? I remember many many years ago having them. 

I too find myself forgetting to turn the signals off. It is like asking for an accident when I forget and leaving them on.

Somebody could make a million bucks if they made a cheap unit that plugs into the existing blinker relay to turn things off after 15 seconds.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Not as easy as it sounds, most switches are mechanical and also need to be reset physically. If the system is fully electrical, then it's a piece of cake. 

There are after market systems available that will auto cancel, even with wireless buttons. It does mean rewiring and/or adding new switches or buttons. 

On a more general note: the T7 was designed to be simple and reliable - while complying with mandatory regulations. An electrically managed turn-signal for me is just another thing which can lead to a "computer says No" problem. Check the speedo more often,  improves safety as well and you'll notice the green blinking warning light quicker. 

• Like 2

@WalterT Ya, I suppose if it was easy it would already be done...

My 1978 Yamaha XS750E could do it, but that knowledge must have been lost to the world with the advent of video games, Facebook, and smartphones...

• Like 2

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

My 1997 BMW K1200RS also had this, don't know why this didn't become the standard. Then again that bike had the buttons for the left indicator on the left, and for the right on the right side of the handlebar as well..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Southcoastbiker said:

Just hook a 12v buzzer bought on ebay for a few dollars  on each rear blinker under the seat

s-l400.jpg

Buzzer Type: Piezoelectric. Alarm Height: 15mm. All pictures are for illustration purpose only and Colours may vary slightly. Import Duties.

Those may be a little loud and might seem like a back up alarm.  But I might try a few things to see if I can come up with a solution, those being one of them.  I had a Yamaha Venture Royale that had self cancelling signal lights.  Old technology that's no longer used.  

I did something similar on an old bike of mine till I trained myself to turn them off. With a normal turn signal relay, you will get weird noises from a beeper, as the incandescent lights turn on and off they draw no current then a lot of current, this made my beeper change pitch and sounded like a deranged bird. With a LED flash, you might have better luck.

Other thing you might look for is a transducer, something that you can put on the seat, and it will produce a tap or some other type of haptic feedback on the seat, then you will feel feedback when the signal is on. 

Mike

• Like 1

I'm going to try a few things and I'll report my findings here.  Stay tuned...

Has been discussed before and im sure someone mentioned a relay comparible that has a timer on it. Just plug and play

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Matth said:

Has been discussed before and im sure someone mentioned a relay comparible that has a timer on it. Just plug and play

I don't think so.... Problem is the stock switch... you push it to the on position, and says there until you push it "in" to cancel it, all done mechanically. Plus what would a timer do to the hazard flashers?  

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

OK.  So the little Piezo buzzer screams when you put 12 volts to it.  But it won't work if you hook it up in line with the flasher.  Probably not a good enough jolt of volts and for long enough to make it happen.  Now the other device that is a flasher and has buzzer built in, well, it just kept all 4 signals on constantly.  You're right @WalterTnot an easy task.  

I'm not done yet.  I'm sure there is a solution.

You could try it with a relay triggered by the indicator signal, that would allow for enough current. If its too short, adding a flip-flop would extend the beep signal. Only trick then is always to cancel on the "flop", or the beep would keep going...

• Like 1

I've had self cancelling on multiple bikes since my new XS1100 in 1980. My many vintage bikes don't.

THE RIDER needs to self train, to: A) keep your thumb on the button until your turn/lane change is complete as a reminder to cancel. And: B) check, just like you constantly check your rear view mirrors, press the cancel button. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, concours said:

I've had self cancelling on multiple bikes since my new XS1100 in 1980. My many vintage bikes don't.

THE RIDER needs to self train, to: A) keep your thumb on the button until your turn/lane change is complete as a reminder to cancel. And: B) check, just like you constantly check your rear view mirrors, press the cancel button. 

I don't have to much trouble shutting off the signal when I complete a lane change or turn a corner in the city traffic.  It's out on the lonely gravel after a turn and I stand up and giver' while concentrating on the terrain to be ridden.  Speed is irrelevant at this point as I just don't care when no one is around me in my riding space.  Then after a few kilometres, I'll notice it's on and get annoyed and think that it should just shut off itself.