Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Oil colour on first service

Guys

I’ve recently completed my first service including replacing the oil & filter. The oil I removed from the engine was really dark in comparison to the new oil. Just wasn’t sure if this is normal so posting just for info, comments welcome. Pics below show the old oil removed and the Yamalub oil I’ve replaced it with. 

065F5BAE-AE6F-4C64-B340-C4F7D2235D02.jpeg

8B0B65E0-9F0B-4AFB-9A7B-6BFAA22E9395.jpeg

• Like 1

It's normal. One very important job for oil, in addition to lubrication, is to neutralize nasty corrosive compounds that are created in burning process. Also your clutch and all the other parts of the engine are running in. If the gunk doesn't get out with oil it means it stays inside the engine, which of course would be bad.  So dirty oil is just as it should be, but if the oil would be like it is right from the bottle... well that would worry me a lot more. 

• Like 1

Don't drink it...  Think mileage not color.  If you were to analyze a sample, that would tell you more.  I think your used oil color is normal.  Don't forget about using a good quality oil filter as well.  

• Like 1

Good to know, thank you very much for the response. It’s a learning process. 

I’ve used like for like Yamaha oil filter aswell. 

Old oil disposed off at the local recycling depot. 

• Like 2

The manuaal states that the oil filter only needs changing every other service after the initial one. I'd personally put a new one in every oil change (10k), which is what my dealer also does. Oil filters are cheap, engines expensive. 

• Like 1

How many miles did you put on it before the 1st service? 

I think their is 2 mindsets out there, 1- change it when the manual specifies. 2- change it early.   

More miles= darker color. I tend to change mine a little early. It's so easy on this bike. 

Edited by DT675

I have always thought that changing the oil frequently is the most important thing we can do to keep the engine in perfect condition and to extend the life of the motorcycle.

I personally change the oil every 7,500 km and I always replace the filter.

I firmly believe that it is the best money spent on the bike.

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

@Ol'crazy Well it depends. Modern oils are actually really good. There is no need to change oil if the oil hasn't degraded. Of course it doesn't do any damage to change oils frequently, but there aren't any benefits either.

I know I'm poking a hornet's nest here, but overall I think we still try to apply knowledge from the last century to modern engines. Lot has changed since 80's and 90's and engines and metallurgy overall are in so much better place than they were in 20+ years ago. If there was a significant difference between frequent and manufacturer recommended oil change interval, market should be flooded with bad bikes because majority of the owners have done the manufacturer recommended oil change interval. But that's not actually the case. Even the 80's engines seem to be running just fine after 100k+ miles on one litre sports bikes. Engine fails happen because of broken components, not because engine has excessive wear which is a main result of degraded oil.

Oil is an easy way "to do right for your engine". You don't have to be mechanic to change it and it's cheap enough that you can do frequent oil changes. And most importantly you can't do any harm to your engine changing it. But does it actually make your engine last longer... Well maybe, if you're planning to use the same engine 200k+ miles or you're running your engine near redline most of the time. Otherwise? Well I won't bother. If I would really want to take care of my engine, I'd check all the internal bearings, check valves, cam chain tensioner, gear changer mechanism, clutch springs and clutch plates in regular basis, because even a smallest manufacturing issue will have catastrophic consequences in the long run.  Those are the places and reasons why engine failures usually happen. Issue is very rarely because excessive wear on cylinder walls or between cams and tappets or other places where constant lubrication is critical...

• Like 1

@Hobes I concur 100%

I wonder how many rides follow this maintenance advice?

Anyone do it early?

I do replace my brake fluid (when I remember) but not seals or hoses....

image.png.7d801b6c315178f15b36e9411a7de116.png

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

42 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

@Hobes I concur 100%

I wonder how many rides follow this maintenance advice?

Anyone do it early?

I do replace my brake fluid (when I remember) but not seals or hoses....

image.png.7d801b6c315178f15b36e9411a7de116.png

I think all motorcycle manuals tell you that and that is good advice to follow I'm sure.  However, I have not followed this advice myself except when I replaced the lines on my KLR to Galfer's for a performance upgrade.  I'll stretch that maintenance to the limit then dive in.

18 hours ago, Hobes said:

@Ol'crazy Well it depends. Modern oils are actually really good. There is no need to change oil if the oil hasn't degraded. Of course it doesn't do any damage to change oils frequently, but there aren't any benefits either.

I know I'm poking a hornet's nest here, but overall I think we still try to apply knowledge from the last century to modern engines. Lot has changed since 80's and 90's and engines and metallurgy overall are in so much better place than they were in 20+ years ago. If there was a significant difference between frequent and manufacturer recommended oil change interval, market should be flooded with bad bikes because majority of the owners have done the manufacturer recommended oil change interval. But that's not actually the case. Even the 80's engines seem to be running just fine after 100k+ miles on one litre sports bikes. Engine fails happen because of broken components, not because engine has excessive wear which is a main result of degraded oil.

Oil is an easy way "to do right for your engine". You don't have to be mechanic to change it and it's cheap enough that you can do frequent oil changes. And most importantly you can't do any harm to your engine changing it. But does it actually make your engine last longer... Well maybe, if you're planning to use the same engine 200k+ miles or you're running your engine near redline most of the time. Otherwise? Well I won't bother. If I would really want to take care of my engine, I'd check all the internal bearings, check valves, cam chain tensioner, gear changer mechanism, clutch springs and clutch plates in regular basis, because even a smallest manufacturing issue will have catastrophic consequences in the long run.  Those are the places and reasons why engine failures usually happen. Issue is very rarely because excessive wear on cylinder walls or between cams and tappets or other places where constant lubrication is critical...

It may be a crazy old man mania, but I've been following that policy my whole life on all my engines and it makes me feel more secure 🙂.

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10