Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Error Code P0507

JoshPlank

Question

I’m in need of some help. My Tenere’s check engine light came on with 20 miles on the odometer. I had noticed the RMPs higher than expected at idle. Took the bike to the dealership and the error code that came back was P0507: FID/ISC valve (stuck fully open) Idling Failure. Dealership obtained a new ISC valve and bench test it was running fine but after reassembly it had the same issue within less than a mile of test ride. 

Dealership is suggesting that the new ISC valve is also faulty…I’m less than convinced as issues with these bikes are rare and for the same issue to happen twice is highly unlikely. 

I am hoping someone on this group has some great ideas that the dealership hasn’t come up with yet. The said they spent more than 2 hours on the phone with Yamaha with finding a solution. 

Please Help!

7F5D18A7-C59D-44A8-B3FA-7F477931AE72.png

5 answers to this question

The stated that they bench tested the original valve and it was sticking in the open position. 

This is interesting.  Faulty engine right out of the box.  They should probably get you a new bike not a repair.  I wonder if they are repairing and replacing the correct parts.  If you put all new parts in it should work and the problem should be gone.  I hope they resolve this in a timely fashion.  

If it’s not a faulty ISC valve then it’s a vacuum leak.  Did they test the ISC valve?

What about checking any vacuum lines for leaks?

HELP NEEDED!!

I first posted almost a months ago about my new T7 with check engine light on at 20 miles on the odometer…well sadly my brand new T7 has now been at the dealership for more than 6 weeks and they still have no idea what is wrong. 

The error codes that are showing up referred to the Idle Control Valve which has now been changed 3 times. Then they changed out the ECU and checked voltage and resistance across all circuits. Yamaha then request a data log from cold starts. Still no answers. 

The latest great idea is that it might be the throttle bodies causing the issue…throttle bodies are back ordered to the END of September. 

I’m hoping someone might have a source for throttle bodies or another great idea because I’m beyond frustrated.

• Sad 2

So, I'm no expert on the specific electronics on this bike, but I've worked on a few bikes over the years. High idle with the throttle bodies (or slide/butterfly/etc) closed is a vacuum leak. FI engines usually always have a solenoid valve to control air bypass in conjunction with added fuel for a throttleless cold start. Obviously if this valve is open, and the engine is warm, it will run lean. HOWEVER, since this valve appears to have been replaced, and the ECU validated, I would be looking for vacuum leaks elsewhere.

Grab a can of compressed combustible fluid (WD-40 will work, but ether is quicker, although MUCH MORE FLAMMABLE), and VERY CAREFULLY lightly spray around the intake of the engine. If the revs drop, you found the cause, just not the location yet. Check all the vacuum hoses, plugs, ports and even for a cracked manifold, loose manifold bolts, etc.

Simply replacing parts until the problem is fixed, is not diagnostics - a skill many mechanics don't have or use  anymore without a computer.

Has anyone checked valve clearances yet? Since the CP-2 engine does not have a PAIR/AIS system in the head, that will not be a concern.

I think I have Yamaha disease...