Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Old mechanic's review

concours

Well said!!

The lack of electronic gadgets and ease of maintenance is EXACTLY why I chose the T7.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, straydog371 said:

Well said!!

The lack of electronic gadgets and ease of maintenance is EXACTLY why I chose the T7.

Ditto, and I am a Husky/KTM/TM fanboi!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, straydog371 said:

Well said!!

same here imo if you know how to ride a bike you don't need all the useless bs with 200 different maps and electronic suspension SIMPLICITY is the key!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not yet an owner but your post is getting me closer to purchase.  Need to sell the KTM 1090R first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Calspeed said:

Not yet an owner but your post is getting me closer to purchase.  Need to sell the KTM 1090R first.

wait is this Michael? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, POLISHADAM82 said:

wait is this Michael? 

Oh damn...... who found me out?

• Like 2

I'm always disappointed when I see photos of t7s decked out with gadgets. I won't even mount a cell phone or gps on mine. Why bother? Although I am thinking of mounting my hula girl somewhere on the dash ala  "Bob" from the Tom Cruise movie Oblivion.

20210727_171524.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@YukonPete I travel this way, for added safety.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus

Dashboard Jesus - Archie McPhee & Co.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

33 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

@YukonPete I travel this way, for added safety.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus

Dashboard Jesus - Archie McPhee & Co.

I don’t care if it rains or freezes long as I got my plastic Jesus……

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2021 at 10:19 PM, Liquidape said:

I don’t care if it rains or freezes long as I got my plastic Jesus……

...sittin on the dashboard of my carrrrrrrr

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've since taken it on 300 miles of mud,  wet leaf covered pumpkin sized rock steep slope climbs, baby heads, etc. MotoZ RallZ tires worked great. 

Edited by concours

• 2 months later...
On 7/26/2021 at 7:15 AM, concours said:

Legendary Yamaha reliability at a performance & price point

I rode jap street bikes all my life so I know nothing but reliability.  The very thought of owning a bike prone to failure is repugnant to me!  This is the 21st century, we we're supposed to be flying around like George Jetson and yet most manufacturers can't even get get the basics like brakes and suspension right anymore?  It's bewildering, and something I will not tolerate in my life.  That's why I chose the T7, reliability, the simple fact everything else is well engineered just falls in step with that. 

Google  "yamaha t7 issues"

About 330,000 results (0.65 seconds) 
No results found for "yamaha t7 issues".
7 Most-Common Problems with the Triumph Tiger 800
  • Frequent Stalling Issues.
  • Overheating The Engine.
  • Engine Oil Leaks. Other Minor Issues With The Triumph Tiger 800 Bike Are:
  • Idle Control Malfunction.
  • Side Stand Issues.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, winddown said:

we we're supposed to be flying around like George Jetson

We went more towards Idiocracy, that movie is more and more like a documentary instead of the comedy it supposed to be and sadly it will get worse.
I choose the T7 over the AT for 3 reasons, price, weight and most important simplicity. I would not be surprised if the AT was about the same weight without all those sensors, actuators and other items needed to have all the gadgets work.
But it's everywhere, the need of thinking for ourselves is being stripped away more and more packed in excuses like saving people and making everything easy but there are only 3 reasons. Greed, power and ego.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 1:27 PM, straydog371 said:

Well said!!

yup... same here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

We went more towards Idiocracy, that movie is more and more like a documentary instead of the comedy it supposed to be and sadly it will get worse.
I choose the T7 over the AT for 3 reasons, price, weight and most important simplicity. I would not be surprised if the AT was about the same weight without all those sensors, actuators and other items needed to have all the gadgets work.

I watched 10 minutes of that movie and turned it off.  It seemed so pathetic, weak people.  I have never understood the masses out there, why they rush into investment bubbles like RE, the dot coms, and now the cryptos.  I Couldn't fathom why they would Que up by the millions to be unpaid test subjects in a vaccine trial with no recourse if they are crippled by the side-effects, as one good mate of mine was.  Perhaps it's the biker mindset, or the simple fact I haven't owned a TV set for 40 years?  I'm not exposed to all the constant Fear mongering that seems to colonize everyone's brains. " 

I test rode an AT a couple of years back.  It was heavy I thought, but ok once moving, even a Harley feels ok moving (in a straight line) (on a smooth road)

The dual clutch transmission was interesting but no more so than the auto-blipper on my RR, probably a lot more complex though I'll bet.  I wasn't sold on it, but it looked nice, just not practical for my needs at the time I thought?  The whole gravel riding thing was too steep a learning curve and I wasn't prepared to take the time to get proficient at it, but now I am.   I'm hoping the T7's lighter weight will make all the difference but either way I'm committed now so I'll just have to adjust myself to it. so to speak.   I'm fairly fit from regular cycling on a road configured MTB bicycle and have a home gym I work out on regularly, that should give me an edge in the dirt hey.

• Like 3

On 7/25/2021 at 5:15 PM, concours said:

59 years, 50 of them riding motos. 
Got the T7 in November, near the end of the season in New England.

Getting some more miles now, some good mud, rocks, single track yesterday. 
2200 miles. 
I've owned and ridden a lot of different bikes. 
Repaired even more.

This little Yam is an engineering MARVEL. 
The transmission some are pissing about works FINE. Is it Rolls Royce silkenly smooth? Nope. Is it positive & easy to use? Yes.

The simplicity. One day, you gadget-addicts will be weary of endless gadgetry. And come to appreciate the simplicity of your first dirt bike. 
The suspension. Much has been written. Like EVERY ENGINEERING DECISION, it's a compromise. Not in a bad way. It's not ready to race, but this isn't a race bike. Like my Triumph Tiger 1050, the suspension works great for it's intended purpose. Remember, the 1,2,3 grand you spend on aftermarket suspension upgrades, is gone forever. Enjoy it, but don't expect much at selling time. 
Yamaha has hit a HOME RUN by mimicking KTM adventure. Legendary Yamaha reliability at a performance & price point just below Katoom. 
Every day, I see machinery that was poorly designed, abused, crashed, neglected, repairs attempted by laymen....  

This machine makes me smile each time I wring it's neck, bouncing it off the rev-limiter, and roost 2" rocks. 
"gives a good account" as Dad would say. 
This bike will take you through hell & back, and be ready for more. 
Just don't DEgrade with low quality gizmos, and be realistic with what it is. 
JMWO

Nice review..

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 2:37 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

But it's everywhere, the need of thinking for ourselves is being stripped away more and more packed in excuses like saving people and making everything easy but there are only 3 reasons. Greed, power and ego.

I've heard these from a few who compared the T7 and AT..

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 2:09 PM, winddown said:

I rode jap street bikes all my life so I know nothing but reliability.  The very thought of owning a bike prone to failure is repugnant to me!  This is the 21st century, we we're supposed to be flying around like George Jetson and yet most manufacturers can't even get get the basics like brakes and suspension right anymore?  It's bewildering, and something I will not tolerate in my life.  That's why I chose the T7, reliability, the simple fact everything else is well engineered just falls in step with that. 

Google  "yamaha t7 issues"

About 330,000 results (0.65 seconds) 
No results found for "yamaha t7 issues".

7 Most-Common Problems with the Triumph Tiger 800
  • Frequent Stalling Issues.
  • Overheating The Engine.
  • Engine Oil Leaks. Other Minor Issues With The Triumph Tiger 800 Bike Are:
  • Idle Control Malfunction.
  • Side Stand Issues.

All COST driven. The game today is manufacturing costs at a ragged edge of reliability. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2021 at 2:51 AM, winddown said:

I Couldn't fathom why they would Que up by the millions to be unpaid test subjects in a vaccine trial with no recourse if they are crippled by the side-effects, as one good mate of mine was.  Perhaps it's the biker mindset, or the simple fact I haven't owned a TV set for 40 years?  I'm not exposed to all the constant Fear mongering that seems to colonize everyone's brains. " 

What an odd tangent on a thread about a new motorcycle. But as someone who has had to zip up far too many bodybags the last two years, I understand exactly why they volunteered. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Nice write up. My 2017 Yz250x is stock except for a Rekluse clutch and sprockets. I put LED signals and a tail tidy on. (Montana wobbles off the OEM lights) at this point the only big change my bike might get is a Rekluse for the T7. (Idle in gear at a light) I definitely don’t challenge Yamaha engineering. The suspension isn’t like my YZ250X but that’s why I have that. 

6B118F95-CF96-4B68-AC27-833768453EE2.jpeg

52742C07-C549-4B2E-BFFA-A24644B80F3C.jpeg

• Like 2