Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Road tyres ?

Mixy

Hi, 

picking up my T7 rally in 2 days! Never even seen one before never mind ride one! No off road experience but novice track enthusiasts. My question is I’m heading for Spain from Ireland in October and was wondering can anyone recommend a decent road tyre. Spanish roads are sublime, smooth and twisty but I’m leaving the blade at home and taking the new T7. Unsure what stock tyres will be fitted to the bike but assume they won’t be great. Any help would be much appreciated.  

Maybe wait a couple days and try out the stock tires. They are not so bad that they have to be replaced immediately. Your plan is to ride on public roads on a ADV bike, slow down and smell the flowers....

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Stock tyres aren't bad at all. They look aggressive but really are more like 70/30 or 80/20 tyres. I'd say they are just as good on pavement as tourance. Maybe conti trail attack? But really the difference isn't that big IMO. 

Just had my tenere for a 1300km but definetly stock tires feel great on rod and dry gravel/dirt roads ... probably not knobby enough for wet offroad though. But really feels better on road then OEM Tourance Next on my Tiger 800.

Thanks guys 

As I have no idea what to expect riding this bike (litre sports for 10 yrs) im

unsure of what would be acceptable, is it just me or those tyres?!?!

covid had been house bound dreaming of a long trip so I’m sure I have the right bike to learn on. 

what are the stock tyres in your regions? I’ve no idea of mine till Saturday when I pick her up :))

All stock tires are the same: Pirelly Rally STR. 

Personally I find them very well behaved on dry and wet tarmac. No need to immediately throw on something new if you don't have specific requirements or experience. As long as you enjoy riding the bike, and don't notice anything wrong or uncomfortable with the ride,  just leave them on until they require changing. Then select something else and see if you notice an improvement or not (which is always tricky as new tires usually feel better than worn ones). 

As you have done some track work you could consider something more sticky, but as you will be riding a 70-odd horsepower allroad bike on public roads where every corner can find you face to face with a car,  truck or rider who doesn't understand the concept that the safest line is the quickest line, you'll probably won't go near the limits of the stock tires. 

@Mixy All regions have Pirelli Scropion Rally STRs. If your looking for hyper soft super sport tyres to your ADV bike, you will be disappointed. There just isn't any tyres available for 90/90-21 size.  Most of the pure street tyres in 21" are designed for cruisers. Street adventure tyres are IMO usually more grippier than those, so I would say that STRs are just as grippy as any cruiser tyre you can find in 21"

If you want more street oriented ADV tyres, trail attacks and scorpion trails are first that come to my mind. No experience on either of them. Way too smooth for my liking.... 😬 

The stock tyres are plenty good enough on road, I have nearly 10k km on them and they are squaring a bit but are still good on Irish roads wet or dry.

That’s great to hear lads 

stock seems like they will suit a novice like myself 

thanks again, I can just blame myself if I feel all over the place !

can’t wait to try the bike out 

One more vote for the stock tires. Got an Anake adventure on the back now. If you plan on staying out of the mud would recomend.

Edited by gone2seed

I ran the stock tires for 3,000 - 4,000 miles.  They were much better than expected.  I changed to the Michelin Anakee Adventure when I upgraded my rims.  I noticed the Michelins grip a bit better and don't skip on the power downshifts like the stock tires did since this bike doesn't have a slipper clutch.  They also have 2 rubber compounds.  Softer on the sides for grip and harder in the center for wear like sport touring tires.  For more street oriented riding like I do, I would definitely  recommend them. 

Just wanted to add. If you are not used to adventure tires the pirelly scorpion STR may surprise you with the noise. It starts at around 60km/h and become even more powerful at 100+ km/h. Just something to be aware of. The first time I herd it on my previous bike with Metzeler Tourans Next I immidiatly went to the dealer saying the bearings were broken 🤣 now I know ...