Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Gravel road riding tips please.

Landshark

Do you ride on gravel roads?  Can you lend a few of your best riding tips for fast gravel road riding?  

I tend to stand up on the T7 in deeper gravel as it gives more control than sitting.  And I like to keep the speed near of over 80 km per hour in most cases to add to the stability of the ride.  I practice hammering the brakes on and keeping the bike under control to avoid deer and the like.  The T7 is way better than the KLR was to ride on gravel.  Maybe one just needs the right tool for the task at hand.  Knobby tires seem to help as well.  Especially when the road surface is wet.  

Please take the time to add to this and show us a pic of your favorite gravel road.

Throttle is your friend....right up until it isnt. 🙂  

Honestly it just like anything else, takes time to learn, let the bike move under you, loose on the bars, bit of throttle if it get squirrely in the loose stuff.  Most of my experience is on lighter dual sport, but so far this bike feels similar at speed, Im sure a bit heavier at slower times.

Everything is different , depends on gravel density, loosenes etc. Nice to have one with worn 2 tracks and loose stuff in the middle you can play in,  if it starts to feel a bit freaky, little throttle will help you steer......YMMV 🙂

Edited by toddiscdn
  • Like 1

Almost forgot, so many favorite gravel roads the old DR has done too many tens of thousands of miles to remember(DR still in garage) New to me T7, only side road pic so far, very new many more to come.

69833889_10156512304958059_5502344948650868736_n.jpg

222945196_10158293246588059_1265434474450550152_n.jpg

• Like 1

Not only standing, but if you shift your weight further back it helps the front ride up and over deeper stuff. Beyond that, smooth, controlled throttle and turning and being loose on the bars will help the front tire track. I still have my stock tires on and they are pretty garbage in sand and deep gravel. I'm not particularly skilled in soft stuff either way, as most of my riding areas are hard packed dirt and rocks.

• Like 1

This gravel road wore me out a couple weeks ago.  Not one of my favorites.

image.thumb.png.5975c36e3c447590a267fe4685b54416.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Idarex said:

This gravel road wore me out a couple weeks ago.  Not one of my favorites.

image.thumb.png.5975c36e3c447590a267fe4685b54416.png

This is NOT gravel...they are freaking boulders man LOL

image.thumb.png.a2574f13c264a0c94699d6073a9fe1e0.pngLooks like your town, county, or state

needs a new crusher! Or new highway super.

Edited by gone2seed
  • Haha 2