Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660

Camstyn

They sure targeted the Tenere. Lower weight, more suspension travel, bigger tank, lower seat height, more HP, cruise control, 5 ride modes, TFT display. On paper it looks great. I do think the Yamaha is the nicer looking of the two.

I love Italian bikes, I have a soft spot for them, I own several and have owned many.  If it were here already I quite likely would have been tempted to choose it over the Tenere. That being said, drawbacks will be less dealers, less aftermarket support, less data resources like this place here to get ideas from the large owner network. I bought the Tenere because it is a beautiful bike, simple, performance is excellent, and I would 100% ride it anywhere in the world. We’re planning a Canada to Argentina trip and I would be hesitant to do it on an Aprilia.

Despite not wanting for my Tenere to be shown up, I hope this bike is a home run. I’m rooting for them.

D97C4542-CB27-4285-87D8-A0892FA6C25F.jpeg

Edited by Camstyn
  • Like 6

Neat bike & all the numbers look good, but....

Here in North America you will pass 2,237 Yamaha dealers (at last count, wink) before you fine one Aprilia dealer.

Not that either bike will need a dealership, but it is a comforting thought that one can be found not too far away.

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

8 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Here in North America you will pass 2,237 Yamaha dealers (at last count, wink) before you fine one Aprilia dealer.

Not that either bike will need a dealership, but it is a comforting thought that one can be found not too far away.

I think this aprilia will spend more time at the dealer then riding they will probably need full engine rebuild at 5k miles haha

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

That’s the thing. I have a dealer 45 mins away, so if I were planning on mainly staying local I’d be cool with it but I want to ride to the other side of the globe.

I own a Guzzi which is owned by Piaggio Group who also owns Aprilia. I know they can make a reliable bike, but it will not be without it’s charms/quirks. Sometimes these charms are endearing, sometimes these quirks are electrical gremlins. I hope it is full of character and soul without any major gremlins.

The Tuareg's dry weight is 412lbs - I don't see a wet weight advertised yet. It's wet weight will be the same if not more than that of the T7.

Advertised horsepower is 80 which is 10% more or so than the T7. It also has another 1.5" of suspension travel. over the T7. Gas tank looks like it holds 19L or so, compared to the 16L of the T7. Not sure what the expected mileage will be like. Probably similar to the T7. On paper, it looks like it has some good things going for it. Personally, I couldn't care less about the ride modes, cruise control, or TFT display (maybe my mind would change, I don't know). Anyone know if there is an anticipated MSRP yet?

The T7 is definitely a better looking bike IMO as well. I try to say that with minimal bias. I would be very apprehensive biking any Italian bike honestly, but especially so if it is an ADV bike I will be taking out into the backcountry alone. Even if the bike was available now and I got a cash out on my T7, I think it's unlikely I would take the gamble. Would be much more comfortable waiting for a couple years of production to see the reviews.

• Like 1

Looks very interesting on paper indeed! Price point will probably be higher, and I'm missing the fine print with the specs (187 kg.. kerb/euro/ or without any liquids and safety stickers?). Abs selective and cruise control would be on my top list for the T7. As well as the 18l tank. 

Reliability will be the biggest question mark. I may go for a test ride when they become avaliable, just to see the difference. 

• Like 1

I would have liked cruise control and the TFT display on my Tenere but I wouldn’t consider them important. If they offered them as an option for an extra $600 I don’t think I would have paid it, but I certainly would have considered it.

Edited by Camstyn

Off-topic a bit, but @Camstyn, I just noticed you're in Vernon. You mentioned there is a dealer 45 minutes away. If you're referring to Bentley Motorrad in Kelowna, they closed last year, so there is no Aprilia dealer in the Okanagan anymore. I'm in Kelowna - can confirm.

Edited by TeabagInsurance
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TeabagInsurance said:

Off-topic a bit, but @Camstyn, I just noticed you're in Vernon. You mentioned there is a dealer 45 minutes away. If you're referring to Bentley Motorrad in Kelowna, they closed last year, so there is no Aprilia dealer in the Okanagan anymore. I'm in Kelowna - can confirm.

Shoot, you’re right. I was thinking of the Indian/Triumph dealer but come to think of it, it was a used Aprilia they has, not new ones.

Bought my Guzzi from Rivercity in Kamloops and they are no longer a dealer anymore either. With International Motorsports in Langley being our nearest dealer, I would not buy one, in that case.

• Like 1

that exhaust / swinging arm looks just as venerable as the yams and i dont think you will get a tank bag to fit but overall looks ok. 

• Like 1

I had an Aprilia 750 Shiver. Build quality was excellent and never had any problems….Looking forward to seeing this new bike in real life.

• Like 2

Definitely the most interesting mid weight adventure bike since the T7! Similar weight with a few more ponies. Wonder about the torque and delivery curve, which is very important! Hopefully the stock suspension will be more usable,  not under sprung like the T7. Most interesting thing is,  a larger fuel tank. Thanks very welcome!, assuming that the fuel economy is at least the same as the T7. Looks great too! 

A few more observations, the radiator and side plastics are wide and look vulnerable, footpeg position is well forward relative to the handlebars making it a little harder to stand up in an assertive position, fuel tank weight may be relatively low considering its position behind the airbox and under the seat. Servicing looks easy like the T7 with spin-on oil filter and airbox at the top, probably accessed via the panel with Tuareg on it.

Proof will be in the testing.

• Like 1

Not too much additional info, but you can see a lot more of the bike (preproduction model). Price is said to be in the 12000$ range, making it significantly more expensive than the T7. For that you get some additional features, and Aprilia also doesn't have as much economy of scale as Yamaha has. Bonus points for being an Italian stallion :-). Slots in nicely between the Yam and the KTM. With rumors about a small Africa twin/Transalp reboot, the segment will become crowded.. 

I’d like a selectable ABS, 2 more liters of fuel and 240mm ttavel suspension on the T7 (specially suspenssion).

But I wouldnt buy an adventure motorcycle that only can fit  a skid plate fixed to de engine case itself.

Best I can do on the gearing compared to T7, based on the Cycleworld video. Only shows the first 4 gears but they look similar in spread to the T7, and possibly geared for slightly higher speed which would just be a tooth less on the rear. Based on this so far, I would say it looks ok.

Gear T660 @4k T660 @10k T7 @4k

T7

@10k

1 33 83 32 81
2 47 117 44 109
3 60 150 57 142
4 74 185 71 178
5     85 213
6     96 241

Note the speed at 10k is theoretical.

428679215_Gearing133@4k.jpg.183863b4ec108c5be0ce95952af4084c.jpg

1843423567_Gearing2.jpg.c8f1d1226501e21aa425309365368d6d.jpg

1162505294_Gearing2Old.jpg.d53b561e6ee3de8eb4ba5a745cf6a364.jpg

1642337475_Gearing3.jpg.ad9b89d4ae72c279803ae269e7c5f9dd.jpg

632164745_Gearing4.jpg.4612e1ede7f33a5cd419ff3d207ce924.jpg

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2021 at 5:16 PM, Rossy NI said:

I had an Aprilia 750 Shiver. Build quality was excellent and never had any problems….Looking forward to seeing this new bike in real life.

I have that on my “long list” of bikes to try one of these days. I wonder how much I’d like it compared to my Triumph Street Triple 675. I imagine it to be a little more hooligan-like.  My Street Triple, while an upright bike, is still a little more forward and sporty leaning. 

It looks like their already learning some of the T7’s lesions too with the high exhaust on the Tuareg. However, its looks a bit “Africa Twin” like to me.  T7 is a much better looking bike IMO.