Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Centre stand alternatives

Wushuplayer

Hi guys,

Trying to avoid a centre stand to avoid adding extra weight. 

Just wondering if any body used alternatives, I've seen someone carry a 'sawn off crutch' to prop the bike up. Are the alternatives worth the weight saving? As the weight is low down, does it make much difference?

Thanking you in advance.

A piece of larger doweling  or aluminum tube of some sort works fine for trail side stuff.

They do make trail stands I think they’re called. They are adjustable and work fine. 
 Just make sure it’s angled right so the bike can’t roll forward. 
2CB8266D-D2E2-4818-B738-72921DB96293.thumb.jpeg.08f01dd392e3eafd6515c034ab46e61e.jpeg

A495E85E-8352-4752-8053-4E555414830A.jpeg.7c59d93f3c1ee3b9fba7d3d62e59bedf.jpeg

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JRS700 said:

I made my own for another bike, but it won't work to get the front tire off the ground. Back tire is no problem.

There’s lots of ways to pick to front tire off the ground. Fronts the easy one. You carry a tow strap or piece of webbing?

If you have any sort of skid plate the trail stand can lift the front end with some creativity. 

23 hours ago, G Charlton said:

Altrider’s new aluminium centre stand has me weak at the knees.

Same here, would love to hear some feedback from anyone who has bought it and compared it to the H&B unit.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mpatch said:

There’s lots of ways to pick to front tire off the ground. Fronts the easy one. You carry a tow strap or piece of webbing?

If you have any sort of skid plate the trail stand can lift the front end with some creativity. 

How does that work then? Could you point us to some pictures or videos?

1 hour ago, Wushuplayer said:

How does that work then? Could you point us to some pictures or videos?

All you need is a tree or similar. Tie strap to throttle side of bars and anchor to something tree like. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mpatch said:

All you need is a tree or similar. Tie strap to throttle side of bars and anchor to something tree like. 

So I guess I need to carry my own tree.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JRS700 said:

So I guess I need to carry my own tree.

If you have a skid plate it all becomes a mute point. No matter where you ride there’s going to be rocks or chunks of wood to elevate the bike. 
Goddamn do any of you fools even ride off road?

• Haha 3

Just make one yourself. I made this for under £20, light weight and easily stored under the seat.

Off road I’d just use a log or rock as mpatch suggested.

7112D828-56B4-4B57-9124-057FD458696A.jpeg

A2D5E3F5-F3D0-49DE-92ED-FB004ADE3155.jpeg

Edited by Alan M
I can’t spell
  • Like 2

D6F1AA77-0DA6-4992-BBAD-62C8309B853D.jpeg

Mind and lock the front brake, I just use a reusable cable tie

Edited by Alan M
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Alan M said:

Just make one yourself. I made this for under £20, light weight and easily stored under the seat.

Off road I’d just use a log or rock as mpatch suggested.

7112D828-56B4-4B57-9124-057FD458696A.jpeg

A2D5E3F5-F3D0-49DE-92ED-FB004ADE3155.jpeg

What are the parts you used for this?! Looks like just the right tool for the job!

I just ordered some alloy tube and a swivel foot. I welded on a collar for support and cut the top to suit my guard. I appreciate not everyone has a tig welder etc but the collar could be replaced with a spreader washer with another R-clip on the underside for support. The other option is just to make it out of steel tube, with the lengths involved it won’t weigh that much more.

75D769BF-8984-47BC-833C-62DE8338B8D8.jpeg

889A1BE0-D729-44DF-A6F9-6E68F5C39747.jpeg

14DAA61F-5878-400C-A871-F4EB100379CE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made  a stand out of a pair of crutches. Very similar to this:

Portable-stand-31.jpg

How do you mend punctures and adjust chains if your bike has no centre stand? Make a portable trail stand of course! Ride Expeditions breaks out the tools.

Where is the best place to position this to lift the front tyre though?

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 2:43 PM, Wushuplayer said:

could someone please tell me which position is best to place the stand for lifting the front wheel?

If you have a skid plate installed, look for a hole near the front of it and jam your stick in there, lifted the front wheel on my bike.  I did end up going for the ebay center stand, looks identical to the hepco-becker offering, used the H&B install guide to put it on.  Benefits outweigh the weight addition of the stand for me.  I still use the stick in the front of the skidplate to lift the front wheel up, but it is so much more stable when used in conjunction with the center stand.  I had an issue getting the stick to do the job in some loose sandy dirt, too unstable.

Thanks Colddog.

I had wondered how this homemade job would fair on loose gravel.

I was always concerned about lifting from under the bash plate. Some saying it's not solidly connected to the frame?

Anybody else heard that?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 7:18 PM, Alan M said:

I just ordered some alloy tube and a swivel foot. I welded on a collar for support and cut the top to suit my guard. I appreciate not everyone has a tig welder etc but the collar could be replaced with a spreader washer with another R-clip on the underside for support. The other option is just to make it out of steel tube, with the lengths involved it won’t weigh that much more.

75D769BF-8984-47BC-833C-62DE8338B8D8.jpeg

889A1BE0-D729-44DF-A6F9-6E68F5C39747.jpeg

14DAA61F-5878-400C-A871-F4EB100379CE.jpeg

I really like the tilting foot, do think you can use one of these with the crutch tubes, if so do you have to cut a thread into the inside of the poles?