Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hello from NYC!

llamadan

Hi all!

Very excited to join the community.

Unfortunately I've had a bit of bad luck on my T700 journey. I started planning a cross-country trip a while ago, saved up bunch of money, quit my job to take the rest of the Summer off, and bought a T700 from a dealer in Baltimore. The bike was stolen from right in front of my apartment the very same night I got it home to NYC. Awful.

I've called every dealer in the US on cycletrader with an ad for a Tenere and almost every single one of them will not have another one in until later this year or next year. I put a deposit down on one in North Carolina that was supposed to be in last week, but when I called the dealer to follow up, he said they actually won't have it until October. One dealer in Florida had one but wanted $13,200 out the door, so no thanks. I found a blue one in Wisconsin, but it would be a little too expensive and out of the way to get there, and blue is my least favorite of the three options.

I'm staying hopeful that I can find one soon and salvage at least a little of my original plan. If anyone has any leads let me know!

Cheers.

• Sad 2

Bummer... for the last 30 years I only took out liability on my bikes. With the new T7 I went for full coverage for that very reason. It sucks that they are so hard to come by right now. I saw that one in Wisconsin (my state) and I agree it was high priced, even with the "extras".

Maybe pick up an ugly older beater bike cheap while you wait. Most jap bikes are bulletproof. Honestly, you will have just as much fun and maybe better stories

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

3 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Bummer... for the last 30 years I only took out liability on my bikes. With the new T7 I went for full coverage for that very reason. It sucks that they are so hard to come by right now. I saw that one in Wisconsin (my state) and I agree it was high priced, even with the "extras".

Maybe pick up an ugly older beater bike cheap while you wait. Most jap bikes are bulletproof. Honestly, you will have just as much fun and maybe better stories

Thanks for the positive words. Thankfully, I did have comprehensive coverage on the bike. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait around 90 days for the DMV to send me a title for the bike, and I can't get the insurance payout until I have the title.

I have an old BMW airhead that I gave to a friend a few years ago while I worked overseas. Might be time to go and clean the rust off it. I took that thing all over the Northeast and Canada many years ago and it was great fun. It's probably gonna need a few weeks of work and some money, but it'll be worth it I'm sure.

Don't forget to grease the splines....

I walked over to my old 1984 silversmoke BMW R100RS with 91,000 miles on the odometer and stared at it. The RS was a bike I’d sold four years ago and then just bought back from my old friend Mike Puls this summer, in a fit of nostalgia. Barb and I had ridden it to British Columbia and all through the West in the summer of 1991. 

Here is "The Rest of the Story"... by Peter Egan

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

5 hours ago, llamadan said:

Hi all!

Unfortunately I've had a bit of bad luck on my T700 journey. I started planning a cross-country trip a while ago, saved up bunch of money, quit my job to take the rest of the Summer off, and bought a T700 from a dealer in Baltimore. The bike was stolen from right in front of my apartment the very same night I got it home to NYC. Awful.

I've called every dealer in the US on cycletrader with an ad for a Tenere and almost every single one of them will not have another one in until later this year or next year. I put a deposit down on one in North Carolina that was supposed to be in last week, but when I called the dealer to follow up, he said they actually won't have it until October. One dealer in Florida had one but wanted $13,200 out the door, so no thanks. I found a blue one in Wisconsin, but it would be a little too expensive and out of the way to get there, and blue is my least favorite of the three options.

I'm staying hopeful that I can find one soon and salvage at least a little of my original plan. If anyone has any leads let me know!

Cheers.

Someone should be HOG TIED.

6 hours ago, llamadan said:

Hi all!

Cheers.

That is an absolute nightmare in my books.  Horse thieves the lot of em'.  I can't believe that this has happened under such circumstances. It's time to invent a superior bike lock so this sorrow is not bestowed on others.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Landshark said:

That is an absolute nightmare in my books.  Horse thieves the lot of em'.  I can't believe that this has happened under such circumstances. It's time to invent a superior bike lock so this sorrow is not bestowed on others.  

I honestly didn't think the T700 was the type of bike that thieves were after. I really should have left it at the dealer another week until my bike cover came in the mail. Not sure what else I could have done differently.

The second picture is the very spot it was stolen from 😞

PXL_20210719_150934292.jpg

PXL_20210719_201959132.jpg

• Like 1

Everyone wants the red ones....

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Ride a secondary and get another t7 queued up.  Get enough security for how and where it will sleep.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

Ride a secondary and get another t7 queued up.  Get enough security for how and where it will sleep.

That's the plan! Just trying to figure out the secondary.