Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear rim strip

A A Ron

Question

So I got a rear flat when riding the NEBDR this past June.  When changing the tube, I notice the rim strip was way too big for the inner circumference of the rim.  It must of been 2 to  4 inches too long.  I was super worried that it would not seat properly and would cause another flat.  Well a few thousand miles later, and it is still holding.  Has anyone else noticed this?

I think I'll replace the rim strip when a put on a new tire.  The stock rim strip was blue and maybe like 2 inches wide.  The widest aftermarket rim strip I can find is 1.25 inches wide, like you would use on a dirt bike rim.  Anyone know where to source a wider rim strip?  I may just use Gorilla tape.  

1 answer to this question