Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New T7 enthousiast from the Netherlands

ludo_the_genius

Hi All,

Time for me to send in a quick, short, introduction from my side too. As I'm sidelining the blogs for a while now, but never took the time to properly introduce myself.

I just recently bought a T7, which to my surprise was very easy to get? Decided to get one and two weeks after I was riding one (I see a lot of difficulties getting one here). The decision to go to a T7 was split due to the wish to drive a bit more off-road and the fact that I have had a lot of problems with my BMW 1200 GS bikes and got sick of that (expressing myself lightly here) 😉

The reason to purchase a T7 was easy for me, it has "no electronic gadgets" at all and so that eliminates a lot of problems I have encountered with my BMW's. This and all the really detailed, good reviews (professional and here) made me decide to go for it. The fact that it drives as a dream is also gaining points 🙂I'm a life long on-road driver, so I would like to say I'm a  experienced driver. On the other hand not a very experienced off-road driver, therefore I hope to change that in the upcoming time.

Last but not least, don't let the user name foul you, I'm far from genius as it come to bikes and mechanics, but I previously got so much comments on this tag, that I now enjoy and can't resist putting it out there 😉

I'll keep reading along and hope to contribute one day.

Best,

Ludo.

T7 - 3.jpg

T7 - 2.jpg

• Like 3

Hoi en welkom.

Good choice. There are several dutch riders on this forum. Maybe we should go for a meeting and a ride together.

• Like 1

Dacht ff dat ik de enige Nederlander was. Mooie euro 5 tenere. Als je ooit de Tet wil doen in Brabant laat maar weten

• Like 1

@BrandYes, that would be great (keeping the forum preferred language 🙂 ).
I’m from the Nijmegen area and the TET runs very close over here too. Just looking for a good place/part to practice a bit. Like In sand/dirt plane road. If you have some suggestions 😉 

Welcome! There are quite a number of Dutchies here on the forum,  either keeping a low profile or blending in very well so nobody notices ;-).

The TET near Nijmegen coincides for a lot of the time with popular hiking trails (LAW). Bikes and hikers aren't the greatest of matches, so I'd advice against riding that during weekends and holidays. Additionally, in that area there's a lot of clay, which after rain turns into something with the friction coefficient of pig fat, lube or wd40, depending on your preference. 

If you ride towards Twente/achterhoek, there are plenty of rural unpaved roads. You can just spend a day riding and going into each unpaved road you come across just to see where it'll lead you. Most of it is sandy, most forest roads are off limits. Anything remotely single track-y has been claimed by "mountain bikers" (for non- Netherlands residents: if you know the topology of our country, you'll get the joke).

Enjoy!

• Like 1

for the rest of the forum back to english. I've read a lot about the tet before I rode it once. but there is a lot of talk about it being difficult. or that you need special tires. but from what I have experienced, the Dutch part is doable with the standard engine. perhaps under special circumstances it is more difficult. but don't let that scare you.

if you want to test engine. I want to ride on Thursday.

Welcome Genius.  I love the colour of your bike 🙂.

By the way guys,  do you know that we have a Dutch Tenere Association in the Netherlands?   10th - 12th September they have a meeting in a small village  Mander.  Easy going people all riding great bikes 😉

Edited by Dipstick
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 4:20 AM, ludo_the_genius said:

Hi All,

Time for me to send in a quick, short, introduction from my side too. As I'm sidelining the blogs for a while now, but never took the time to properly introduce myself.

I just recently bought a T7, which to my surprise was very easy to get? Decided to get one and two weeks after I was riding one (I see a lot of difficulties getting one here). The decision to go to a T7 was split due to the wish to drive a bit more off-road and the fact that I have had a lot of problems with my BMW 1200 GS bikes and got sick of that (expressing myself lightly here) 😉

The reason to purchase a T7 was easy for me, it has "no electronic gadgets" at all and so that eliminates a lot of problems I have encountered with my BMW's. This and all the really detailed, good reviews (professional and here) made me decide to go for it. The fact that it drives as a dream is also gaining points 🙂I'm a life long on-road driver, so I would like to say I'm a  experienced driver. On the other hand not a very experienced off-road driver, therefore I hope to change that in the upcoming time.

Last but not least, don't let the user name foul you, I'm far from genius as it come to bikes and mechanics, but I previously got so much comments on this tag, that I now enjoy and can't resist putting it out there 😉

I'll keep reading along and hope to contribute one day.

Best,

Ludo.

T7 - 3.jpg

T7 - 2.jpg

Ludo welkom - if it ain't Dutch it ain't much huh! 

Afrikaans  speaker here in California.

Veilig ry!

Welcome from the other side of the world!

You will enjoy the T7 far more then the BMW. I came from an F800GS to the T7 and loved it from the outset.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

18 hours ago, WalterT said:

Welcome! There are quite a number of Dutchies here on the forum,  either keeping a low profile or blending in very well so nobody notices ;-).

The TET near Nijmegen coincides for a lot of the time with popular hiking trails (LAW). Bikes and hikers aren't the greatest of matches, so I'd advice against riding that during weekends and holidays. Additionally, in that area there's a lot of clay, which after rain turns into something with the friction coefficient of pig fat, lube or wd40, depending on your preference. 

If you ride towards Twente/achterhoek, there are plenty of rural unpaved roads. You can just spend a day riding and going into each unpaved road you come across just to see where it'll lead you. Most of it is sandy, most forest roads are off limits. Anything remotely single track-y has been claimed by "mountain bikers" (for non- Netherlands residents: if you know the topology of our country, you'll get the joke).

Enjoy!

@WalterT yes, I already noticed this “multi sport” problem on one of the first days I bought the bike. Went to Groesbeek. Lots of mountainbikes and hikers… not a good place to try to improve my skills.

Would like to find a stroke of sand road/field of a few 100 meter (square) in the neighborhood to train a bit. That would be ideal. Like a sandy parking lot hahaha

Twente/Achterhoek is great for a visit, but just a little too far for “just a bit of fun”. 

14 hours ago, Brand said:

for the rest of the forum back to english. I've read a lot about the tet before I rode it once. but there is a lot of talk about it being difficult. or that you need special tires. but from what I have experienced, the Dutch part is doable with the standard engine. perhaps under special circumstances it is more difficult. but don't let that scare you.

if you want to test engine. I want to ride on Thursday.

@Brand sounds like I want to start and try on the stock tires.

I’m working during the week and have little to non time to ride for please. Only commuting. 

14 hours ago, Dipstick said:

Welcome Genius.  I love the colour of your bike 🙂.

By the way guys,  do you know that we have a Dutch Tenere Association in the Netherlands?   10th - 12th September they have a meeting in a small village  Mander.  Easy going people all riding great bikes 😉

@Dipsticksounds like a great meeting. Unfortunately I just broke my “ring” toe two weeks ago. So no riding for me at the moment. Hope it heals ASAP.
I also still need to do the maintenance and change the run in oil. Which is now also postponed 😞 

@Rider 101 fat change we are going for a weekend spin soon 😉 

Nice bike those BMW’s, but I have had so much problems (mainly electrical) and the increasingly bad service made me go a try else where 

hay ludo. grz from zwolle.

you should have some nice places around, mainly around farmyards.

just watch out not to go on private property.

further just respect every one around and you should be fine. sometimes a small talk can do wonders.

also i still run the stock back tire. [bought the same tire and its a world different to the tire you get on your bike when riding out of the showroom]

its good. my next one will be a battle axe ax41 just to compair.

Edited by CoreCass

8 hours ago, ludo_the_genius said:

@Dipsticksounds like a great meeting. Unfortunately I just broke my “ring” toe two weeks ago. So no riding for me at the moment. Hope it heals ASAP.
I also still need to do the maintenance and change the run in oil. Which is now also postponed 😞 

Ooops, hope that you will recover soon.

21 hours ago, ludo_the_genius said:

@Brand sounds like I want to start and try on the stock tires.

I’m working during the week and have little to non time to ride for please. Only commuting. 

I also use the bike for commiting. And i realy like the stock tire. Good grip even in winter. Great duribilty (16.000km). Good enough for off Roda in the Netherlands. And on vacation with rock surface the also performt good.  

@CoreCass Yes, I'm sure I will find some place/area as soon as my toe is "repaired" 😉

You mean that you bought the same Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR (stock) tires and they drive/act differently once you fitted them? That is the weirdest thing, elaborate on this please?! It makes me very curious. As I really do think tires make a whole lot of a difference (on road, but probably more/equally off road).

@Brand Okay, well there are so much different tires for different purposes. Its hard to find the ones you need. Great to hear that at least the stock tires aren't that bad 😉

13 hours ago, ludo_the_genius said:

@CoreCass Yes, I'm sure I will find some place/area as soon as my toe is "repaired" 😉

You mean that you bought the same Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR (stock) tires and they drive/act differently once you fitted them? That is the weirdest thing, elaborate on this please?! It makes me very curious. As I really do think tires make a whole lot of a difference (on road, but probably more/equally off road).

well. for one the tire you have from the shop is one of those bulk bought tires to make the bike cheaper to produce. so thy do not deliver the performance of a german made tire for example.

stock tire lasted me 8000 km. could have maybe gotten 9000.  right now i have the 2e pireli rally str [german tire] and im already on 9000 and still have plenty of rubber left. [ill make a photo tomorrow for ya]

further when i go in to the sand i drop pressure half a bar. just so it can release a bit easy all the dirt [it also gives a bit grip but i ride road pressure on hot day's as nl does not need less]. some drop it a bar but i would not drop it more as its still a 200 kilo + bike.

true that you wont have best grip in dirt but at-least more as the stock tire [by a small margin]  and on road its just a different world. specially wet tarmac.

due to uneven ware my front tire is a battleaxe 41 bridstone. [and i love a more aggressive front tire except on the road you really notice this] makes me have more sliding fun wile front is planted.  don't get me wrong the rear will grip forwards but the rear slides from side to side as it lack's real side lugs.

i even drove in the winter with my t7. as the bike is my main transport even when i stored it [yes even if i have to get to an appointment i prefer sand to asphalt]. my sister was giving birth and had to be there quick.

came home from work and could barely go on my bicycle and saw loads of scooters going down.  i just had to keep it up right. and no high speed in corners.  no problem at all.

was more stable as my bicycle. hell even more as walking as you would glide all over.

could also have bin a guardian angel. i beleave in rubber not in angels🤫 would never willingly repeat this in any other situation

now your experience might differ. but i like them, and thy now have one with bigger gaps. link here

i will still get the same rear tire as my current front just to test. and after my plan is motas adventure.

Edited by CoreCass

@CoreCass This is really a good read and still super surprising.

I didn't even think about the possibility that there could be a difference between a stock tire and a replacement tire. Feels something like the story of when you buy a printer and get half full cartridges with that... only when buying the replacement ones, you get the full spec. I'm very curious about other people their experiences with (re)fitting the same Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR.

I do like the "normal" Rally too. Looks like the STR but its more bulky and hopefully (even) more suitable to ride on the unpaved roads. Definitely an option. But let me first start and experience the stock ones properly.