Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

From tiger 800 to tenere 700 anyone?

Shaun

Has anyone gone from a triumph tiger 800 road or xc to a tenere 700? I ask because I like triumph bikes I’ve found them very reliable and easy to work on for someone who does there own maintenance, the last modern Yamaha I bought was in 2016 a tracer 900 which was a nice bike but the suspension was poor . I really fancy a tenere so it would be nice to hear how the tiger & tenere compare, cheers.

• 1 month later...

I'm dropping off my Tiger 800xc '13 on Friday and riding off on a brand spanking new T7. It'll have to be broken in, but I'll post you on my findings!

I loved the Tiger in general, but always found it a bit cumbersome off road, made worse by the jerkyness of the low rev throttle response.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2019 at 7:57 PM, Shaun said:

Has anyone gone from a triumph tiger 800 road or xc to a tenere 700? I ask because I like triumph bikes I’ve found them very reliable and easy to work on for someone who does there own maintenance, the last modern Yamaha I bought was in 2016 a tracer 900 which was a nice bike but the suspension was poor . I really fancy a tenere so it would be nice to hear how the tiger & tenere compare, cheers.

Good question. I haven't but I test rode one and within 100m I thought "I wouldn't want to take this off road". Feels like a road bike as in too vague and heavy. Super engine mind.

The Tenere is a true dualsport and super at home off road. You can tell where a lot of the R + D has gone.

If you want to venture off road, there's no comparison in my opinion.

Rich

• Like 2

I came from a 2017 Tiger 800 XCA which I rode on and off-road. Completely agree with WalterT, it was too cumbersome when riding the tricker trails, the Tenere is much, much better in that sense. 

If you're just riding on the road, the Tiger is a better bike for travelling, but the Tenere is better as an all-round adventure bike. Plus there's much less electronics, if you like working on your own bike then there Tenere will be simpler.

• Like 4

9to5adv.com

• 1 month later...

Right, after about 750 km here's what I found:

• Throttle respons much better, combined with less/lower weight than the Tiger makes low speed 180 degree turns a piece of cake.
  • The loss of power is noticeable, but in practice not an issue. The torque and sound actually make it feel on par. Only noticeable on high highway speeds 140 km/h+.
  • Love the sound of the standard exhaust compared to the Tiger. The T7 gives a bit more "drama", then the whine of the three cylinder Triumph engine.
  • Standing position is superior, and the narrowness of the T7 makes off pavement easier. Tracks well and feels very stable in mud and sand.
  • Wind protection is less, but no buffeting  for me (I'm 1m 87cm).
  • Seat is harder, but for me more comfortable.  I would have no problem riding all day on this (stock) seat.
  • Getting to the tool set is annoying as you have to remove two screws to remove the seat (As a rule all work I do on the bike I do with the tools on the bike, so I know I have what I need on the road - or make a conscious decision to leave something out)
  • The switch for changing the display settings is positioned in such a way that it is impossible not to change the throttle position/let the throttle slip when using it. I now use it by using my left hand.
  • Suspension is good for road and light unpaved roads. Have not ridden it properly off-road yet. I hear/read people complaining about the suspension bottoming out too easy, but none of those seem to have put in any effort of using the adjustment possibilities (which for me is stupid and like complaining that the steering wheel in a car is too far away, but you're not bothered  to adjust the seat forward). Would love to hear from someone here that actually took the time adjusting it to see whether that solves it for certain terrain or not.
  • The trottle needs to be turned a bit further that on the Tiger, which may lead to wrist fatigue.

I'm still very happy I made the switch, and am looking forward to a number of planned trips next year!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Although I'm still waiting for my T7 in Canada, should be here in a few more months. I am making the switch from my 2016 Triumph TIger 800XC.  I used to own a 93 Triumph TIger 900 which I preferred to the 2016 Tiger 800Xc. Very different bikes.

i have also owned all the original XT600Z Tenere's from 83, 85, 87, 89 and 92 which is one of the reasons I'm going back to the Tenere.

The main reason for me is that when I go off-reading, the triple motor is a real disadvantage as well as the very long gearing.

Apart from that, I'm a firm believer that less is more, less weight, less technology, less power and yes, even less pricey.

ill be doing a review when I get mine.

lyfe

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The constantly pushed back arrival date of the T7 has me looking hard at a nicely farkled, low mileage 2015 Triumph tiger 800 xcx. The bike would be about $5,000 cheaper than the Tenere. (after I add on crash bars, skid plate, panniers a new tires) Maybe get the triumph now and pick up a used Tenere in a few years? Not sure what I'm going to do.

• Like 1

I had a 2016 XC 800, loved it but hated the dealership. Tenere 700 much better off road for me. 

• Like 1

I had a Tiger 800XC and it felt much bigger and heavier, made me feel nervous in some off road situations. The T7 is much more off road friendly. The Tiger is a more comfortable street bike but the T7 is much better off road. Overall I prefer the T7 by quite a margin, unless you ride mostly pavement, T7 is the way to go.

• Like 2