Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Transporting your bike

Eddy802

I'm likely to get a fair bit more 'bike time' if I could carry it in our motorhome when we travel.

Our motorhome garage ceiling height is 120cm and I manage to get an XSR900 in the back,  but I'd like that bike time to be on a Ténéré 700.

A tow bar/trailer solution is of no interest.

So my question is: "could I get a Ténéré 700 into my motorhome garage if I took the front wheel off and somehow either put some kind of roller in its place or fastened the fork legs to a floor based, sliding axle brace? Can someone provide an 'axle eye to handlebar high point' measurement please?

Thanks in advance

Eddy

Hi Eddy! Front Axle to top of the windscreen is ca. 118cm. You can clear another 8cm or so by taking off the screen (4 screws).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, qInvention said:

Hi Eddy! Front Axle to top of the windscreen is ca. 118cm. You can clear another 8cm or so by taking off the screen (4 screws).

That's really positive news.

Then I just need to work out the mechanism of getting the T700 in the boot with the front wheel off. 

A mate races ride-on mowers and the wheels on his make it too wide to get into his moho. So he removes the wheels and puts wooden disks in their place... I have something like that in mind. Anyone know of similar for motorbikes?

21 minutes ago, qInvention said:

Oh, just thought of an important factor - is that a vertical measurement, or direct line?

That is vertical, as good as I got it from the very bottom of the fork.

The slide out mechanism idea sounds great. I imagine some sort of a sled on which you can fix the fork by inserting the axle and the whole thing running on a track, allowing it to be pushed/pulled from the door to the other side. Fully slided into your vehicle, you just fasten the rear end of the bike with 2 straps and ready you are.

• Like 1

Ratchet strap the forks so they are close to fully compressed?

I've had to do it a couple of times to fit bikes that are a bit too tall. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eddy802 said:

I guess these are the key dimensions?
696342458_Screenshot2021-08-30at21_53_58.thumb.jpeg.ed8a5b8be494041a1d0483e3c5103b99.jpeg

Exact!

• Like 1

this is how I load the XSR.

The main rails are bolted to the moho floor.
The front wheel receiver is slid along the rails to the open door side.
The bike wheeled up a ramp and front wheel wedged into the receiver.
The handle bars are tied down.
Then the bike is pushed the rest of the way up the ramp, as the front wheel slides along the rails in its receiver.
I add a wedge behind the back wheel and further tie downs.

IMG_3705.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mpatch said:

Ratchet strap the forks so they are close to fully compressed?

I've had to do it a couple of times to fit bikes that are a bit too tall. 

Thanks - Would that give sufficient height difference, and is there any negative effects the suspension if the bike needs to be compressed for extended periods?

27 minutes ago, qInvention said:

That is vertical, as good as I got it from the very bottom of the fork.

The slide out mechanism idea sounds great. I imagine some sort of a sled on which you can fix the fork by inserting the axle and the whole thing running on a track, allowing it to be pushed/pulled from the door to the other side. Fully slided into your vehicle, you just fasten the rear end of the bike with 2 straps and ready you are.

If the solution was a simple swap to a small wheel/roller and then otherwise loading as I do now, the challenge would be the lowering and lifting of the bike. First to get the front to ground with the roller in place, and later to lift the bike such that the front wheel could be re-installed...?

Very interesting !

Given that the T7 has ca 20cm of suspension travel, you can clear some more space by ratching in down. I have no idea if that can have a negative side effect if in place for a "longer" period. For a day it should be no problem, but I think you will want to have it in place for several days.

Just now, qInvention said:

I have no idea if that can have a negative side effect if in place for a "longer" period. For a day it should be no problem, but I think you will want to have it in place for several days.

Yes, the actual transit portion of our trips can be several days.

I can't imagine it doing the suspension any good to be compressed for so long, but I'm no mechanic... so my mechanical sympathy may be enitrely misplaced.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, qInvention said:

Given that the T7 has ca 20cm of suspension travel, you can clear some more space by ratching in down. 

'Some space' undoubtedly... and that 20cm (or part thereof)  becomes more of a vertical reduction in conjunction with my 'wheel off' idea.

1 hour ago, Eddy802 said:

If the solution was a simple swap to a small wheel/roller and then otherwise loading as I do now, the challenge would be the lowering and lifting of the bike. First to get the front to ground with the roller in place, and later to lift the bike such that the front wheel could be re-installed...?

Do you have any possibility to install a mechanical lifting aid ? Something like a small hoist ? Maybe in conjunction with a centre stand, in order to be able to install or undo the front wheel. 

3 hours ago, Eddy802 said:

Yes, the actual transit portion of our trips can be several days.

I can't imagine it doing the suspension any good to be compressed for so long, but I'm no mechanic... so my mechanical sympathy may be enitrely misplaced.

Strapping the forks compressed isn't going to hurt a thing. Just make sure you bleed the air out of them. 

Between compressing the forks and pulling the windscreen should make it short enough. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, qInvention said:

Do you have any possibility to install a mechanical lifting aid ? Something like a small hoist ? Maybe in conjunction with a centre stand, in order to be able to install or undo the front wheel. 

I don’t think the light weight fabrication of the motorhome or my payload would bear the installation of a mechanical hoist.

Perhaps something dismounted based on a clever A-frame, or  lever  🤔

2 hours ago, Eddy802 said:

I don’t think the light weight fabrication of the motorhome or my payload would bear the installation of a mechanical hoist.

Perhaps something dismounted based on a clever A-frame, or  lever  🤔

7 hours ago, mpatch said:

Between compressing the forks and pulling the windscreen should make it short enough. 

This is what I thought, compressing the forks and pulling the windscreen really make it short. Based on my initial measurements, I think you could go as low as 1m, perhaps even less. As the ceiling height is 120cm, that should give plenty of room.

@Eddy802 I found something on the internet that comes very close to what I imagined: 

motorradaufzugseinrichtung_komplett.jpg

SAWIKO - Elektrischer Reisemobil-Heckgarageneinzug für Motorräder. Leichter und bequemer Verladen....

They even say you can compress the forks before sliding the bike into the camper. If you could change the sled for a construction that only receives and holds the front axle or a small roller, then this should be - in my opinion - exactly what you need.

But you're absolutely right, payload is the main problem, at least on european campers, even more the 3,5t class. The XSR 900 is lighter than the stock T7. That will keep you from installing crashbars 😆

Edited by qInvention
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, qInvention said:

Based on my initial measurements, I think you could go as low as 1m, perhaps even less. As the ceiling height is 120cm, that should give plenty of room.

My ideal would of course be to get below 120 without needing to take the front wheel off, and without causing issues to the front suspension. You may have found the solution!

@Eddy802 I found something on the internet that comes very close to what I imagined: 

motorradaufzugseinrichtung_komplett.jpg

SAWIKO - Elektrischer Reisemobil-Heckgarageneinzug für Motorräder. Leichter und bequemer Verladen....

They even say you can compress the forks before sliding the bike into the camper.

My current rail system is similar to this albeit simpler, in that the front wheel ‘truck’ only rides kn the horizontal and inside the garage floor space - so I guess simpler in construction, but perhaps not in the context of loading/unloading.

With either system I would need to consider the additional few cm the rail adds in height.

But I will look more closely at the Sawiko offering now that you have reminded me of it.

But you're absolutely right, payload is the main problem, at least on european campers, even more the 3,5t class.

Mine is plated at 4.5t, and the rear axle is at its 2.5t limit with the XSR loaded😳

The XSR 900 is lighter than the stock T7. That will keep you from installing crashbars 😆

If I decided that crash bars are a ‘must have’… I have the option of up-plating to 4.8t and gaining an additional 200kg on the rear axle limit… 🤪

Thanks for giving my conundrum so much consideration 👍🏻

I'd consider a smaller, lighter bike to take with you in your camper....maybe a CRF250/300L? It will make the loading/unloading much less stressful! And, of course, will provide a bona fide excuse for another bike - always good.

I take my CRF250L on holiday with me in the back of my T5 - all it needs is mirrors removing, no fork compression or wheel removal needed. It's got enough power for some very enjoyable rides. The lack of hassle involved means it's not a chore, so it goes on most trips.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddy802 said:

My ideal would of course be to get below 120 without needing to take the front wheel off, and without causing issues to the front suspension. You may have found the solution!

My current rail system is similar to this albeit simpler, in that the front wheel ‘truck’ only rides kn the horizontal and inside the garage floor space - so I guess simpler in construction, but perhaps not in the context of loading/unloading.

With either system I would need to consider the additional few cm the rail adds in height.

But I will look more closely at the Sawiko offering now that you have reminded me of it.

Mine is plated at 4.5t, and the rear axle is at its 2.5t limit with the XSR loaded😳

If I decided that crash bars are a ‘must have’… I have the option of up-plating to 4.8t and gaining an additional 200kg on the rear axle limit… 🤪

Thanks for giving my conundrum so much consideration 👍🏻

Maybe it's possible without taking the front wheel off, which would make the whole handling a lot more convenient. 

My first thoughts were about a horizontal rail system with some kind of a little hoist to help lifting the bike onto the 'truck'.

Yep, the additional height is the big question here. 

Ok, I'm really relieved that there's still hope for the crashbars ! otherwise you would have needed to compensate for them with a tail tidy and by filling the tires with helium. 

You're welcome ! 

2 hours ago, Tigerjohn said:

I'd consider a smaller, lighter bike to take with you in your camper....maybe a CRF250/300L? It will make the loading/unloading much less stressful! And, of course, will provide a bona fide excuse for another bike - always good.

I take my CRF250L on holiday with me in the back of my T5 - all it needs is mirrors removing, no fork compression or wheel removal needed. It's got enough power for some very enjoyable rides. The lack of hassle involved means it's not a chore, so it goes on most trips.

My mate has just bought a CRF250L to use as you describe, in combo with his MT09 'back at home, 'for longer road (only) trips'.

For the reasons you state I love that idea, and I recognise that in trying to 'squeeze max bike into min space' I create stress for myself that might otherwise be avoided  BUT... 

- I am fortunate enough to have retired early. And our retirement 'Plan A' is to be out and about Europe wide and perhaps wider, in our motorhome for about 9 months of each year (which in part is why a trailer option is off the table).

- I can't afford a second bike - especially with the intention of leaving 'the primary' bike at home for much of the year.
- I don't have a T5, and so I'm limited to a load ceiling height of 120cm 😉

I bought the XSR because I liked the ride and the looks, but in honesty the 'win' criteria was that it fits in the moho... though in doing so I was denying my primal desire to ride an Adventure styled bike in the environments for which they are built.

I have carried a race bike in the back of a pickup with a camper shell and used a small wheel so that it would fit. I found it easier to load it backwards.