Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hey Yamaha, that Niken isn't selling

Cruizin

I'm not sure if Yamaha is putting off it's an Tenere 700 release because they've been busy engineering advertising trying to promote that new three wheeled Yamaha Niken.

But I do know one thing, the Niken is not selling. I know this because I've talked to no less than 15 Yamaha dealers across the country that I've kind of friends with and they all tell me the same thing, they are not ordering any Nikens. the problem is that Yamaha wants to charge the Dealer's full price for each Niken and they will not give them discounts or any demo bikes.

The same dealers are telling me that absolutely nobody is coming in and inquiring about the Yamaha Niken it's like $16,000US, and while it's an engineering Marvel that handles differently than a two wheeled motorcycle, it doesn't make you any faster and it's basically just an FJ 09 with a third wheel and a hundred pounds more weight.

I'm really bummed that the only bikes we can go out and get that are new from Yamaha right now is this Yamaha Niken. we're not getting the FJ 07 or the FJ 07 GT in the United States why I have no idea. and for the past two years we've been getting teased with pictures and videos of this t7.

I'm sure that yamaha's marketing department has plan this out thinking that they're going to stoke the fires and get us all excited about the t7 what they don't realize is us people who really want to buy the t7 we were sold with the first picture we were sold with the first video you could have taken their money two years ago. and now one by one we're all figuring out that the Yamaha Tenere 700 is not going to be released until 2020 well 2019 as a 2020 model in here the United States we probably won't see it until 2020

so really you're hardcore Enthusiast buyers Yamaha are actually going to go out and buy an Africa twin or full-size tenere or probably KTM 790 in the short-term.

these ridiculous videos we don't need to watch other people having fun or ripping up a mountain we want to go have fun and rip up a mountain with a t7 if you have checked any of the motorcycle forums all over the Internet including this one and all the Facebook groups with thousands of people waiting to buy the t7 you would know that if you just release the damn bike we"ll go out and buy it now right now. By 2020 I guarantee you're going to lose half your potential buyers that are going to go out and buy other bikes.

furthermore by  wasting the last 2 years throwing all these videos up on the Internet you've also told Kawasaki KTM Suzuki and Honda exactly what your plans are with this t7 and the odds are they're all going to be launching their versions of their bikes and that's going to hurt sales now too.

if you just released this damn bike in the last year you would have sold so many more than you were going to be selling by waiting till 2020.

But hey, congratulations on that $16,000 three-wheeled Niken.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am confused by Yamaha's marketing strategy too.  They have already made the bikes, so why not sell as many as you can everywhere you can?  The person buying a two wheel motorcycle is not the person who will buy a three wheel one.  Releasing new bikes would not effect the Niken sales (if they have any sales) at all in my opinion. 

The same is true for Canada, we also don't get the Tracer 700 model, which is really a shame because the newly announced Tracer 700 GT looks quite interesting.  Hopefully, these models (plus the T7) come to NA soon.

Niken makes sense at least in Europe.

You can drive it without motorcycle driving licence if the distance between two wheels is more than 460mm. 

That's why there are a lot of piaggio mp3's on the roads here. 

edit: it seems that Niken has only 410mm between the front wheels, so yeah, you also need motorcycle licence for driving it.

Edited by krucymucy
  • Haha 1
  • Premium Member

I was lucky enough to join the press launch of the Niken here in Norway. Awesome control and confidence, but the bike is kind of lazy due to it´s added weight and "friendly" setup with a heavier crank and flywheel.

In general, all of us rode 10-20% faster in high speed corners. Mid-corner braking is also pure fun, due to the fact that the bike doesn´t rise, but keeps the leaning angle. 

I would ride it any day, but I will never buy one myself. ? 

Fabros

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Fabros said:

I was lucky enough to join the press launch of the Niken here in Norway. Awesome control and confidence, but the bike is kind of lazy due to it´s added weight and "friendly" setup with a heavier crank and flywheel.

In general, all of us rode 10-20% faster in high speed corners. Mid-corner braking is also pure fun, due to the fact that the bike doesn´t rise, but keeps the leaning angle. 

I would ride it any day, but I will never buy one myself. ? 

Fabros

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

Wow, thanks for sharing those pics. It really does make you faster in the corners?  It would be nice to be able to brake in the corners, that's for sure. 

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, NRWhiteKnight said:

Great pics. Faster in corners? Hmmm....... Did it feel heavy in the corners?

No, it feels just like a regular MT09, or FZ09 as you call it. 

Fabros

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, NRWhiteKnight said:

Closest I could come would be an FZ1, which weighed around 600 pounds. At times it felt a bit heavy in the corners.

You just have to try it, really. I also thought that it would feel heavy, but it feels like a middle-weight touring bike. 

Fabros

• 11 months later...
12 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'll buy a an effin' Niken if Yamaha will pair it with a T7 at the same time. 

Fingers crossed.

Im old and Remember a crappy car called the Yugo. Our local Cadillac dealer had a promo where if you bought a new Eldorado, they threw in a free Yugo no extra charge. My Buddy's parents bought a new Caddy and he ended up with a free Yugo. We once fit like 6 of us in that little thing.  It broke down a lot.