Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Scotts steering damper

Ol'crazy

Hi everyone,

I have been reading about the Scotts steering damper and have only found good opinions. But before I spend my money I would like to have some first-hand opinion on the behavior by installing it on the T7.

Most of my tours are on tracks with loose rocks, roots, gravel, and ruts. I don't want to go faster, just safer.

Is that money worth spending?

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

I reckon I'd not have broken ribs if I had a steering damper.  Never considered one until this last few days and the fact I rode with someone who had one last weekend (which I think was a Scott), who just made the ride look easy (when it most certainly wasn't) .... coincidentally I just watched Nerb1 who just did a install of the Scott on his YT channel ... Nerb1 Scott Steering Damper install < maybe ask him is opinion on his comments what he reckons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

I think you are quite right: if the steering damper is really able to prevent a fall that involves breaking bones, it can already be considered money well spent.

The Nerb1 video is very explanatory and will greatly facilitate assembly. Unfortunately it appears that he will not be able to prove the result of his work at the moment due to the current mobility restrictions.

Thank you very much for your answer.

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

It’s one of those things you don’t notice until it’s not there if that makes sense. If you ride lots of rocks and roots they are nice. 

From my experience they cut down on fatigue and rapid handlebar movements when in certain conditions 

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 2

I don't have one on my T7...yet. But I do have one on my Husky TE300 and it saves me regularly. Bar end impact on a tree that can send you flying, front tire deflection on embedded rocks, etc. It just slows down the motion and in particular when you are fatigued and not holding as tight as when fresh it makes a difference. I bought it after I glanced off at tree and went flying from about 25 mph in the woods, cracked some ribs. I have a Scotts, great piece of equipment, not cheap.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mpatch said:

It’s one of those things you don’t notice until it’s not there if that makes sense. If you ride lots of rocks and roots they are nice. 

From my experience they cut down on fatigue and rapid handlebar movements when in certain conditions 

EXACTLY RIGHT.  Rocks brought me off and I was fatigued.  That and a gap in my riding talent for that exact moment haha.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sracer said:

I don't have one on my T7...yet. But I do have one on my Husky TE300 and it saves me regularly. Bar end impact on a tree that can send you flying, front tire deflection on embedded rocks, etc. It just slows down the motion and in particular when you are fatigued and not holding as tight as when fresh it makes a difference. I bought it after I glanced off at tree and went flying from about 25 mph in the woods, cracked some ribs. I have a Scotts, great piece of equipment, not cheap.

Front tyre deflection on embedded rocks ... hence I have broken ribs, think I might be getting me a steering damper!

• Like 1

FYI I have found that (in the US) Scotts is sold at the same prices everywhere. And the people at Scotts are incredibly helpful if you have an application or install question. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sracer said:

FYI I have found that (in the US) Scotts is sold at the same prices everywhere. And the people at Scotts are incredibly helpful if you have an application or install question. 

https://www.tripleclampmoto.com/products/yamaha-t700-steering-damper-kit-by-tripleclamp-moto

of you’re on advrider you can PM them for a discount code

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mpatch said:

https://www.tripleclampmoto.com/products/yamaha-t700-steering-damper-kit-by-tripleclamp-moto

of you’re on advrider you can PM them for a discount code

I had already seen the Tripleclamp website. However I am not sure if it is a good idea to use a mounting kit other than those recommended by Scotts, which are theirs and BRP's 🤔.

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

3 hours ago, delirium said:

if you're not speeding like crazy across th desert I doubt it will make any difference for normal adv riding.

But what is 'normal' adventure riding?  The adventure takes us to places we've never ridden before so can come across many different types of terrain, including sand, rocks, etc.  Very useful in sand but I would have definitely benefited from one whilst riding rocky terrain recently.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RIDER GUIDER said:

But what is 'normal' adventure riding?  The adventure takes us to places we've never ridden before so can come across many different types of terrain, including sand, rocks, etc.  Very useful in sand but I would have definitely benefited from one whilst riding rocky terrain recently.  

key is the speed here, those stabilizers don't work (well) at slow speeds and adv riding in rough terrain is naturally slow because the luggage load and safety.   I ride very hard core off-road since years and never felt the need for stabilizer for speeds I am at.  Look at pro enduro riders, I see seldom stabilizers on their machines. 

10 hours ago, delirium said:

key is the speed here, those stabilizers don't work (well) at slow speeds and adv riding in rough terrain is naturally slow because the luggage load and safety.   I ride very hard core off-road since years and never felt the need for stabilizer for speeds I am at.  Look at pro enduro riders, I see seldom stabilizers on their machines. 

For me normal adv driving, especially with a T7, is going from a fast gravel track to a slow single track. And in the middle of that finding areas of sand, ruts, loose round stones and roots. All in the same day. Any of those things can jerk the steering to the side and make you fall. In fact, I have done it multiple times.

The Scotts system is supposed to have both high and low speed dampers.

If I can avoid the next falling and the associated pains and days of recovery, I'll be glad I spent that money.

In any case, I have not seen anyone who, after having used a steering dumper, continues to think that it is not worth it.

• Like 3

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

11 hours ago, delirium said:

Have you ever owned a bike with one?

Or at least ridden a bike with one?

12 minutes ago, mpatch said:

Have you ever owned a bike with one?

Or at least ridden a bike with one?

No. That is why I am gathering as much information as possible about it in this forum and in other sources. And for now my research leads me to think that it can save me some displeasure, in addition to allowing me to go somewhat more comfortable through difficult areas.
Do you think i'm wrong?

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

9 minutes ago, Ol&#x27;crazy said:

No. That is why I am gathering as much information as possible about it in this forum and in other sources. And for now my research leads me to think that it can save me some displeasure, in addition to allowing me to go somewhat more comfortable through difficult areas.
Do you think i'm wrong?

Look at who I quoted and what they said. 

If it’s in your budget and your bike actually rides off road with rocks, roots, logs and other things that cause front wheel deflection  it’s a worthwhile thing. 

It’s easy to test, turn the dial to the zero dampening setting and ride a stretch of baby heads then put it on the middle setting and ride the same stretch again. You’ll notice the difference. 

• Like 3

Sorry @mpatch. It is clear that your questions were directed to @delirium. In Spain it is time to go to bed (1:30 am) and that is what I am going to do so as not to screw up any more 😅.
Thank you for telling your experience 👍.

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

2 hours ago, Ol&#x27;crazy said:

For me normal adv driving, especially with a T7, is going from a fast gravel track to a slow single track. And in the middle of that finding areas of sand, ruts, loose round stones and roots. All in the same day. Any of those things can jerk the steering to the side and make you fall. In fact, I have done it multiple times.

The Scotts system is supposed to have both high and low speed dampers.

If I can avoid the next falling and the associated pains and days of recovery, I'll be glad I spent that money.

In any case, I have not seen anyone who, after having used a steering dumper, continues to think that it is not worth it.

I agree totally.  Especially as I'm now going through the associated pains and recovery you mention. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 8:05 AM, Ol&#x27;crazy said:

I had already seen the Tripleclamp website. However I am not sure if it is a good idea to use a mounting kit other than those recommended by Scotts, which are theirs and BRP's 🤔.

I have run the Scotts damper on my KTM 640 with a non Scotts mount for over 10 years.

You know what made the most difference?   Getting my suspension setup properly.

I have just moved the mount over to my T700 using the Tripleclamp mount, but like Nerb1 I am locked down.  For me the TripleClamp was the cheapest option.

So the purpose of my post, I don't know!!

My 0.02c worth:  I wouldn't worry which mount is used.

And I think the damper is a good addition AFTER you have got your suspension setup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dnrobertson said:

I have run the Scotts damper on my KTM 640 with a non Scotts mount for over 10 years.

You know what made the most difference?   Getting my suspension setup properly.

I have just moved the mount over to my T700 using the Tripleclamp mount, but like Nerb1 I am locked down.  For me the TripleClamp was the cheapest option.

So the purpose of my post, I don't know!!

My 0.02c worth:  I wouldn't worry which mount is used.

And I think the damper is a good addition AFTER you have got your suspension setup.

Thanks for the information. For me it is valuable to know that you have used another type of mount without problems.

And since both you and @mpatch seem to trust Tripleclamp, I'm going to make the order just now.

I will share my experience once I have it installed and tested to contribute my two cents as well 🙂.

Greetings to all of you who have helped me make the decision.

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10