Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T700 or KTM790 Adv R ?

Eddy802

I’m in a pickle! My first world problem is how to decide between these two bikes…

Most reviews/comparisons I’ve read or watched have the key separating point being the ‘level of spec for price’. And all reviews explain that the T700 loses nothing to the competition in this regard because of it’s value price point (by comparison)…

But now the 790 is ‘last years model’ and I can source a new one for within €1,000 of the price of the Ténéré.

I have not yet tested the 790, but test rode the T700 this morning. 155km of Autobahn and twisty B road (no off road, but I’m only ever likely to ride light off road)…

Initially I wore an open face helmet and the wind noise was wearing. Wearing to the point that I headed home for my full face helmet. The final 65km of the ride was worlds apart in the positive. I’m 5 foot 8 and so find I was tip toed, but cast my mind back to my last adventure bike in 2005-2008 (R1200GS) and settled in to being ‘one foot flat’ at the lights and stop signs. And otherwise I was entirely satisfied with the feel and performance. 

So, with less than €1,000 between them, and if I’m as impressed as much with the comfort and ride quality of the KTM as I was with the Yamaha… what then does it boil down to? 🤷‍♂️

If you search on YouTube for Ben Tkacs page he has great videos talking about the 790 that he owns.  Sounds like he’s had a lot of problems with it and has been fortunate all of the problems have been covered under warranty. 

I found another video from a guy in Oregon that put the T7 against the 790.  Right out of the gate the 790 was in the shop for a software glitch.  There are too many videos of the KTM problems for me. I’m going to steer clear of it. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Goback said:

If you search on YouTube for Ben Tkacs page he has great videos talking about the 790 that he owns.  Sounds like he’s had a lot of problems with it and has been fortunate all of the problems have been covered under warranty. 

I found another video from a guy in Oregon that put the T7 against the 790.  Right out of the gate the 790 was in the shop for a software glitch.  There are too many videos of the KTM problems for me. I’m going to steer clear of it. 

Yep, bret the poor guy had that ktm spend more time in the shop than on the road, sadly I hear about ktms being the polar opposite to any japanese bikes when it comes to reliability. If reliability weren't a factor then I would say the ktm because it might give you a lower more comfortable ride; However coming here and expecting non-biased replies towards the T7 is a bit of a funny idea lol. By the time the T7 dies the ktm will have been sold, melted down and used in aluminum cans or another ktm. And the tenere looks just so beautiful. If you need riding modes go for the ktm but I bet you will barely use them, the T7 has a nicer and more fun powerband with a linear climb and the suspension issues can be sorted easily. You can put thicker front oil in the forks which a lot of people have done, 40$. And a new rear spring 120$? That would put the tenere 860$ cheaper still

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spike4379 said:

Yep, bret the poor guy had that ktm spend more time in the shop than on the road, sadly I hear about ktms being the polar opposite to any japanese bikes when it comes to reliability. If reliability weren't a factor then I would say the ktm because it might give you a lower more comfortable ride; However coming here and expecting non-biased replies towards the T7 is a bit of a funny idea lol. By the time the T7 dies the ktm will have been sold, melted down and used in aluminum cans or another ktm. And the tenere looks just so beautiful. If you need riding modes go for the ktm but I bet you will barely use them, the T7 has a nicer and more fun powerband with a linear climb and the suspension issues can be sorted easily. You can put thicker front oil in the forks which a lot of people have done, 40$. And a new rear spring 120$? That would put the tenere 860$ cheaper still

where did I say I expected non-biased replies? I’m generally able to sift replies for useful comparison based on declared or apparent first hand experience. And this is only one of several places I have sought an answer to this question - if not in these exact words.

Are you telling me you are unable to comment here without bias? You seem sincere in your comments about both the T7 and KTM? Either way, thanks for responding.

I had a KTM 1190 adventure and never had any problem with it.
When I go to big offroad ride/event, we see 50-60% of KTM here in eastern Canada. 
They are awesome weapon and couple of my friends love their 790/890.

I sat on a 890 yesterday and man...what a nice bike.

My opinion: 
-If you like gadget (Traction control/Drive modes/Offroad ABS/quickshifter/etc) and like to drive fast with and ultra exciting bike, the 790 might be a good choice for you.
Ultra good ergo and suspension package

-If you don't care about electronics, prefer reliability than riding a demon, prefer the look and like to go far and not want to wrench on the bike a lot, the T7 is an excellent choice.

This is just couple example, but this is a T7 forum and you will find lots of bias answer for sure.
I bought a T7 because of the look, reliability and price. I had to change rear spring and tweak it to be more comfortable and I really like it now but I first I didn't like it....
Sometimes I wish I have a 890R.

• Like 1

The tenere (all of the 6-700s) is basic and loved for it. And mega reliable. That’s always been their pull for travelling.  And seriously pretty. 
ktm is faster, has gadgets, “probably” (lawyers) less reliable, but looks pig ugly. Good choice to have though. I do also like a lot of KTMs by the way. Old ones. 🤫

• Like 1

Fact of the matter is there are almost no bad bikes made nowadays. 
Pick the one you like and fits your needs the best and ride the piss out of it. 

I considered/rode the 790r and own a T7. I have also owned lots of dual sports (aka I am getting old).

The T7 is much prettier. 😉

The T7 ergonomics fit me better.

Standing feels more natural on the T7.

I much prefer the sound and power delivery of the T7 motor.

I did not ride the 790r off road and it was a short ride, but afterwards I was not inspired to buy it.

I am 5'10" and 185lbs. The T7 just fits me and my riding style.

• Like 1

Strange isn't it. The KTM and Husty 500's are bomb proof but yet their larger bike seem to be having all kinds of niggly wee issues.

Can't go far wrong with a T7 really!

Haven't ridden a 790R, but my friend has a Duke 790 which I've ridden a few times. It has had a number of electrical problems with it and has a minor oil leak. I've seen quite a few videos and read quite a few stories of the 790R regarding electrical issues and other warranty repairs as well. That, coupled with the fact that I knew that I would (and have have many times...) dropped and scuffed up my T7, made me want something easier and cheaper to work on. There's also the fact that it's much easier to find shops worldwide that will be able to work on a Yamaha if you end up touring on the bike and parts will be easier to source.

That said, performance-wise, the KTM is superior in terms of power and suspension. It also has more gizmos and advanced electronics if that's your thing. I never really desired anything other than ABS in the first place. I've recently upgraded the springs in my forks and rear spring and it was fairly inexpensive and easy to do. Even after that and the slew of other mods I've put on my T7, I'm still well under the cost of the 790R and the bike much more tailored and suited to me.

Trying to be as non-biased as possible while saying this, and I'm aware of how that sounds, but I definitely do not regret picking the T7 over the 790R. I've had two KTMs and one Yamaha before this purchase as well. The T7 is IMO a way better looking bike. I would never shame someone for picking up a 790R though. If the power, better suspension out of the box, and electronics are up your alley, and you can find one for a fair price, all the power to you.

Edited by TeabagInsurance
  • Like 1

It was a simple choice for me. I wanted a good looking machine which didn't give me overwhelming choices in terms of riding modes, suspension settings etc and would give me total peace of mind vis a vis reliability - vital to enjoying a ride a long way from home. Performance was secondary and I've known the CP2 engine in two previous bikes; it has plenty of power for my needs. For competition use or hard off roading, the KTM wins with it's extra power and lightness. There's no right or wrong answer to your dilemma. Once you're clear on your own priorities/needs, the choice will be more simple than you might think! Let us know which way you go. 

Just an afterthought....whichever bike you end up with won't matter, as you'll be planning the next one soon enough!