Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Pirelli Scorpion Rally High Speed Wobble Fix

LateApex

Question

I threw a set of Pirelli Scorpion Rallys on my bike & noticed it would build up a progressively worse front end wobble at freeway speeds.  I previously installed a high fender on the bike & did not have the issue with the stock tires.  I don’t think this is an issue, because it doesn’t do the high speed dirt bike fender flutter that can induce or exacerbate wobble.  Anyway, it came to me that the two tires may not have the same radius even though they are the same nominal size. I dropped the fork tubes about 1/4”, so only the caps were above the clamp & the issue has gone away. Hope this helps anyone with the same issue. 

71EA27AE-1A80-4ABB-A481-09DEA7C2FDB2.jpeg

B039982C-300D-49B2-9A58-3EE935C26D05.jpeg

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Tyres look great mate, but I reckon any knobblies would give you a bit of a weave at motorway speeds, and add the high fender (which also looks well nice) and that little bit of extra wind under it will make it worse. I’d just think about your priorities and go for it either way, fast road or off road. I have knobblies on my 1vj and it changed instantly on fast roads. Look great though. How about a bigger pic with the full vinyl job? 
dougie

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dougie said:

Tyres look great mate, but I reckon any knobblies would give you a bit of a weave at motorway speeds, and add the high fender (which also looks well nice) and that little bit of extra wind under it will make it worse. I’d just think about your priorities and go for it either way, fast road or off road. I have knobblies on my 1vj and it changed instantly on fast roads. Look great though. How about a bigger pic with the full vinyl job? 
dougie

Yeah, tires are always going to be a compromise.  I think this was more of a loss of trail from the tire having a smaller overall smaller diameter.  Can’t say for sure, I didn’t measure the stock tire before swapping. The graphics are one of the SKDA kits.

57D5195A-ACC3-4F74-8DAA-087CEF160C7C.jpeg

• Like 2