Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

3.5 Days on a Tenere

RobR

• Members

Not an owner yet, still in deposit/wait land with my local dealer, but this weekend a buddy and I rented a couple T7's and did about 450 miles of the CDR and Idaho BDR.  Absolutely love the bike. Great power, easy to ride off road, just chugs along in second gear with plenty of low end when you need it.  

My dislikes (nothing is a deal breaker):

- the stock grips have to go.  Need some ProTaper pillow tops.

- suspension felt a bit stiff in the rear, and we both were right at the 180 weight range (rider + gear).

- stock seat needs to be softer, or you need an airhawk for highway miles

- the pegs - too small for me, definitely will get slightly wider ones and could be a tad lower too

- throttle seemed a bit snatchy to me in 1st and 2nd gear - will look at different springs or a thottle tamer.

- brakes - thought the rear brakes were soft and the front very sensitive and come on hard and fast.

Still, loved the bike and how easy it was to ride, off road and on.  Makes me want one even more now - time to call my dealer and pester him again.

I’d suggest a rally seat (original +40) for comfort, although there are now a few different sculptured ones out there.  But you’ll enjoy the many possibilities of tailoring it for yourself. There’s more stuff coming every month from the aftermarket boys. 
ride an ‘80s tenere (still love em) and then compare, it’s definitely evolution not revolution. Best way. Enjoy bud. 👍

I have the pro taper pillow tops. They are great, but almost to soft. I don't have any input on stock grips or springs as I put less then 2km on them. I'm only 183lbs running 90n.m rear and .66 fork springs and still find them soft. Between the seat and pegs you could get a tall seat so you don't need lower pegs.( didn't put any miles on the stock pegs either, not a fan of them). Throttle is less snatchy then the mt07, maybe that owner had installed the r6 throttle tube?

• Like 1

• Members

Thanks for the input.  I have a Seat Concepts seat on order.  As for the throttle, the bikes were stock and rented from a dealer that just added crash bars.

Forgot to add, that the bike could definitely use Steg Pegz off road.  As well as some rubber stickers to make gripping the tank with your knees easier off road.

Edited by RobR
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/8/2021 at 6:25 PM, RobR said:

Not an owner yet, still in deposit/wait land with my local dealer, but this weekend a buddy and I rented a couple T7's and did about 450 miles of the CDR and Idaho BDR.  Absolutely love the bike. Great power, easy to ride off road, just chugs along in second gear with plenty of low end when you need it.  

My dislikes (nothing is a deal breaker):

- the stock grips have to go.  Need some ProTaper pillow tops.

- suspension felt a bit stiff in the rear, and we both were right at the 180 weight range (rider + gear).

- stock seat needs to be softer, or you need an airhawk for highway miles

- the pegs - too small for me, definitely will get slightly wider ones and could be a tad lower too

- throttle seemed a bit snatchy to me in 1st and 2nd gear - will look at different springs or a thottle tamer.

- brakes - thought the rear brakes were soft and the front very sensitive and come on hard and fast.

Still, loved the bike and how easy it was to ride, off road and on.  Makes me want one even more now - time to call my dealer and pester him again.

Good info..