Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

car sat nav vs motorcycle vs phone!!

Aleksandar13

Hi all, 

I'm looking into a solution for a sat nav that can stay on the bike all the time and would be used to load routes that I make with an app. (my route app). 

I have used this in the past with my bmw sat nav that I had on my Gs adventure and it works good. 

I'm not happy to spend 400 500 pounds on motorcyle sat nav and I'm asking myself why not buy a car sat nav for 80 90 and use it with waterproof mount? 

Would like people to share their setups so that we can get an idea of what works well and what would be a cost effective option. 

A phone set up could work as well but they are a bit fussy and can overheat. 

Please share your thoughts and post pictures as well if you have. 

Aleks 

Edited by Aleksandar13
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sygic app on a iPhone. The new models are water resistant, so they won't "melt" under rain. I disconnect the power supply in case of rain, just to be on the safe side. 

On the other hand there is always Google Maps with its offline feature where one can download entire areas without needing to have signal. You can work a route in your computer send it to your email and have reloaded to the iPhone as often as needed.

For some reason Google Maps is significantly less power hungry than Sygic. I usually use them in Airplane mode to save some juice as the phone is not looking for a signal.

• Like 3

Check garmin 62 series they are good and bulletproof navigation you can use 

• Like 1

I am tempted by car sat nav in a waterproof casing as this would be the cheapest and most reliable option... I use My route app to create my routes and can download them onto GPS unit... 

I have tried using my phone for now and it does work but I prefer the GPS unit that I used to have on My Gs Adventure , just not ready to pay £400 for a motorcycle unit.

Aleks 

I though that but  went for a Garmin Zumo 590 as it is completely water / petrol proof. you can also use it with your gloves on. It comes with lifetime free maps in Europe. I also damaged it with faulty dashboard mount i had damaged and Garmin give me a complete replacement by return for £130.00. Overall very expensive but worth the money. I also use Google maps on my iPhone in an otter-box which is great in dry weather.   

Thanks i hope this advise is useful

Mick   

T7 Yamaha 12 10 19 (6).jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I used to use Myrouteapp and upload to TomTom for routes here a start and end place is know for the days ride.  However, I found that changing destination (and subsequent days) to be a bit of a pain via the TomTom (not having a laptop to hand).

So, for less strict day and multiple day rides, I use (and highly recommend) Calimoto.  An app that does multiple A to B to C, allowing you to change each section between Motorway, main roads, twisties and super twisties.  The best part of the app (for me) is that it avoids towns and looks for twisty roads.  Routes can be planned on desktop or app but I find the app is easier for all.

Phone and Calimoto just about does all I need and I'd recommend anyone give it a try.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After a long debate with myself and research online I've found the perfect solution for me and my needs. 

Decided to go with gpsmap 64s...which is not dedicated for motorcycles but a lot of people rate it as being a very good device. 

Advantages : waterproof and dust proof, easy to remove and carry around..batteries replaceable and available all over the world or rechargeable. Battery life should be around round 20h.

Like the fact that it has buttons and it is small enough to fit either on top of the dash or on the handlebar. 

One disadvantage is that you are struggling to charge on the bike but this is not a problem for me. 

Will write a review at a later stage after using for a while. 

Screenshot_20191222-141246.jpg

I have an older version of this GPS (62s I believe), and charging/power supply was possible through a mini usb connector at the back. Great unit for true adventure riding as is supports off-road (off-map) tracks. 

Having said that, the TomTom 550 is better if you ride mostly on roads. The algorithm for finding twisty roads is uncannily good. If a want to go somewhere and want a nice route, it's just set and enjoy. That is my current go-to GPS. If I'm looking for trails, I'll take the Garmin (printed a holder which fits the TomTom holder and takes power from that).

I have no experience with phone GPS, so I can't comment on that. I hear people find them perfect.

• Like 3

First 100 miles with the new sat nav and I am more than impressed. 

At first I left in o a pre made track and I have followed it but it wouldn't navigate and let me know how to turn I've had to figure it out myself. 

After that I've realised you can transform the track into a route and it will navigate you through. 

You can customise this the way you want ant it is very easy to use with gloves as well. 

The size is large enough (I was worried a bit prior to puting on the bike) for what I need and the screen is brilliant, even in the sun you can see perfectly clear. 

Great sat nav that can be used anywhere and if you are concerned about security it slides from the mount in a second. 

IMG_20191223_111707.jpg

Good to hear you're happy with it!

A track is by definition not routeable. It's like a trail of breadcrumbs - a number of points in space wich you follow. For it to become routable the GPS needs to put those points on a map, attach them to a road an then create a route (which allows navigation instructions). The advantage of a track is that it works even without a map, or when there is no road (i.e. when riding through the steppe in Mongolia, or hiking through a forest).

Have you figured out a way to power it from the bike?

46 minutes ago, WalterT said:

Good to hear you're happy with it!

A track is by definition not routeable. It's like a trail of breadcrumbs - a number of points in space wich you follow. For it to become routable the GPS needs to put those points on a map, attach them to a road an then create a route (which allows navigation instructions). The advantage of a track is that it works even without a map, or when there is no road (i.e. when riding through the steppe in Mongolia, or hiking through a forest).

Have you figured out a way to power it from the bike?

Thanks for clearing that up for me now it makes sense... Light bulb 

🤣😂

I don't think I will want to charge it from the bike. I'm happy to get rechargable batteries and deal with this at home and have spares with me all the time. Maybe if it gets annoying then I will think about it but it seems not to be weather proof, so would need charging only if it is not raining. 

On 10/24/2019 at 9:26 AM, Motoadventure said:

I though that but  went for a Garmin Zumo 590 as it is completely water / petrol proof. you can also use it with your gloves on. It comes with lifetime free maps in Europe. I also damaged it with faulty dashboard mount i had damaged and Garmin give me a complete replacement by return for £130.00. Overall very expensive but worth the money. I also use Google maps on my iPhone in an otter-box which is great in dry weather.   

Mick   

Hi Mick,  is that your Camera on the left (the white device on the Ram mount) ?

• Like 1

I'll be using a 'perfect squeeze' (on sale now)  phone holder designed for off-road riding (when applicable).

01-17.jpg

Perfect Squeeze Universal Holder is the sleekest universal device holder on the market and is compatible with virtually any smartphone and case.

Also, I plan on getting the Garmin Zumo 396-LMTs.

The plan is to use the phone in dry weather, and the GPS in wet. I'll probably get a cover for the GPS since it's supposed to be

"weather resistant" according the the Garmin representative but I'll want that extra protection when the eventual

downpour does occur. Won't be risking the phone in the rain, too bloody expensive and painful to replace.

In six months I should be able to mount these.

🙄

Edited by ADVUSA

Hi.

I had a Zumo mounted on my GS and an android mobile with the Kurviger Pro app which I connected with Bluetooth to the Intercom.
Since I started using the cellphone as GPS, I have stopped using the Zumo. Everything is much simpler with your mobile. Live updates, all different apps available, etc.
The Kurviger Pro app is great for my driving, from normal roads to smaller gravel roads. It also makes loops in any direction with any length. It has 5 different modes for how curvy the road should be. Everything can be planned from both the computer or the mobile. It is also possible to run on downloaded maps.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bror said:

Hi.

I had a Zumo mounted on my GS and an android mobile with the Kurviger Pro app which I connected with Bluetooth to the Intercom.
Since I started using the cellphone as GPS, I have stopped using the Zumo. Everything is much simpler with your mobile. Live updates, all different apps available, etc.
The Kurviger Pro app is great for my driving, from normal roads to smaller gravel roads. It also makes loops in any direction with any length. It has 5 different modes for how curvy the road should be. Everything can be planned from both the computer or the mobile. It is also possible to run on downloaded maps.

The  Kurviger Pro app reviews are excellent. 

EDIT:  Looks like there are maps for the USA also.

Thanks I'll check into this.

Edited by ADVUSA
  • Like 1

I've tried apps before and could never get used to them... I've been using myroute app for couple of years to create my routes and now load them on the 64s with no issues and it work brilliantly.. Don't have to worry about water dust or theft as I can take it with me if I'm in going in shops or petrol station. 

A lot of people love the device and comparing with motorcycle sat navs it is on the cheaper side.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My two cents:

I ditched the good old real Zumo 660 when I got the T7, sold it with the s10.

I've used a couple months over the winter to really get to know GURU maps (former Galileo). 

It's far superior to the garmins, and every other dedicated sat nav/gps, as you can use different online and offline maps (so you don't blow your data coverage). Wanna check out am area up the road? switch to google maps satellite or choose one of many topo maps.

GURU is developing better support for route navigation, and has become quite good. Using tracks and log tracks it's by far the best I've used (apps and dedicated gps in the woods and mountains of Norway).

If i just want to get from point a to b and want a scenic or twisty route I just use Scenic or Magic earth.

As for weather proofing, the iPhone X I'm using is IP68 while the dedicated GPS's is IP67 so not worried there.

For mounting the phone I've gone with the SP-Connect. I bought the Moto bundle with phone case, cover for severe weather (my guess is that it'll make any phone waterproof as this also covers the ports) and a mount for handlebars. In addition I got the mirror mount to mount it on the crossbar as this is my preferred position.

I'm also getting the wireless charger from SP to get rid of the infamously bad charging cable.

Cheers Thomas

• Like 2

Here is a picture of the gpsmap 64 on the bike... Brilliant little device with rechargeable batteries or you can get usual AA and duracel last me about 20h of usage. 

I load the routes as a gpx file and start the navigation, very clever and minimalist. On and off the bike in seconds. 

Looks nice as well and had a big enough screen to read but not to distract you from the road. 

Aleks 

IMG_20200417_143850-01.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at the Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-s.  Anyone have any experience with it?  Had other GPS units and phones, but always had trouble with the charging aspect (plug gets dirty, etc.)  This unit is hard wired with a cradle to hold the unit. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/24/2019 at 2:26 PM, Motoadventure said:

Mick   

Hi Mick

Looks like you might be using a Touratech lockable Zumo mount here.

Did you have to fit the Touratech GPS bracket onto the T7 top bar to give the Zumo mount room. 

I'm looking at a similar solution but thought that the Touratech bracket would rotate down whilst riding on tough terrain. I had a similar problem on my ST1200 whilst riding the NC500. Have you had any problems with that?

Cheers, James

• Like 1

My solution is an old duraforce pro android phone just used as a nav device, running Locus as the app. It lets me just follow the tracks which is all I want to do. My garmins always recalculated the routes unless you had the settings just right, and then still the tracks would get corrupted. 

the duraforce is a durable waterproof phone, it’s been flawless for the last two years I’ve used it as my primary nav

if you have an android phone check out Locus, it’s good. I can add some more info if you need it when I am at the computer.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Roz uses this orange Garmin as she ride alone, so if she jumps off the bike and goes for a walk, she clips this to her jacket and now has full service monitored SPOT to her person. Probably handy in a crash situation too.

Edited by JimmyTheHuman
  • Like 1