Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bit of a smash. in need of a mudguard.

dobbi

Alright dudes.

Haviong a bit of a 2 weeks away in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland looking with a mate and things went very serious this aftenoon when I lowsided on some supper slippy tarmacand flipped the bike into a hedge takinga out a good few metres of it.

I'm not in bad condition, and niether this the bike to be fair, screen smashed off and front mudgaurd in quite a few peices.

Not willing to stop the trip so will plastic weld and reinfocre the mudguard and do wthouth the screen.

However, I need to replace the mudguard. I don't like the high mudguard conversions, just want the ususal one.

are there any alternatives to the original and who sells them.

Also if anyone has done the high mudguard conversion, I'd be interested in buying the EM mudguard off them.

Additionally, is there a way to repair the screen holder? I don't hang GPS off it so it wont be taking too much weight.

Any advice well recieved.

cheers

Dave, a bit sore at the mo!

Well, that sucks!  You're going to be sore tomorrow I'm afraid.  Sorry to hear of your slip up.  You're probably going to have to visit your Yamaha dealer to get the parts needed to do a proper repair.  In the mean time, zip ties are your friend.  Post a pic of the screen damage and maybe we can make a suggestion.  I hope the rest of your trip is uneventful, Dave.

• Like 1

Close up pics of the damage, we may be able to offer advice. I smashed my left side windshield mount and was able to use jb-weld and zip ties to put it back together.

Edited by Canadian-t7
  • Like 2

Cheers,

Here is where the screen hanger has snapped off.

It strikes me that it was designed to snap off at this point but it looks like replacing the whole thing might mean replacing a large part.

--fveFPiNJ3jUV6b5QOIHRnSRjtts9ZDyv9_rENX8zzI92yyxFAZKksRdtPGFa5ljW8mO6uAQ0eXt5bQWKqvwi0ydBtfbBystCyctkAHKejgo-a9TwjkQWYMWNgk2-OaUq3QgCNP3s--VyEhUBV1atggBmNqBCR6d0O6Pfu7dsORhy4GLLG37dAmWDrpQBk8UKC3baj-TaGFWdgF8EGlV9FWo_XGVpMVNz2R0_OD0Zy_Pldh8yeSaHlvvtm9Xq5o1ZB8PV8mwN0OVvNDO1epknA_xdzG76BJbqCY1Jwf56F7dlo1rG4hLcClsG_7736Ogv07WBiQ-IarqrmXzcg05J0vMVbe9v2-2bTJeG_mVZAXLZW9DT1d1nS0sZssKlmilhWEpx0xX1D50NpY45nbju6M7iR60AQIXVjMYunpV_z6aCtf07m1DAet61aJ7GArzS-hBYh6oe2sVX5HfY5cikqhoSYsEWggCf3tWw1xabYRBObsU8B5Vd9TdKxky-OeznEJ4c7W9m4gpsW9nDyyn_eHQzVIFI6CUfcHl3fI90FbqOI2MN0sVyAgf4_oSeXli0RtAD6yP-qmWzC7MYTiLtl_bDbFGly0uHOWcOol3GrEUi_FBycTva4LZGSVCahDtDEAGoKFNsu20m0irfZAk056YT-ui_4vOXo8P4GUn2O0yWj5qztbf0Nv_c8OZWhM8kxnFjzapUGiczMi7t2mUFRU=w882-h662-no?authuser=0

I think that'll be a tough roadside repair. The windshield takes to much force from the wind, you would need to support it vertically and support for the horizontal load being applied.  It's a terrible spot to break and that material is like plastic  paper mache.  I have already broken the left one on my bike,  hence the picture of the new one. Something like the Camel adv anti bobble head would hold things together(maybe a future purchase if you plan on staying in the hedge trimming business). Zip ties and boat load of tape might get you going?

Edit: the new support pieces don't come with the rubber bumpers or hardware, just the plastic.  LH piece pn# BW3-F836K-00 

20210910_212124.jpg

Edited by Canadian-t7
  • Like 2

Canadian t7, How much did they cost you? I’m guessing not too much, the plastics don’t seem too badly priced, probably no more than aftermarket? Did my fork protectors (whoops disk lock) and it was quite cheap, about £30. 

Go to a post office and send the remains home. Ride screenless. Prob nicer anyway.
Duck tape will be strong enough to any loose plastics together and easier to remove and clean up after. Probably not strong enough for the mudguard though. I wonder if any local yammy dealer would let you have one from a shop bike and put your order on their bike when it comes in? 

high fender does look good mind. Good luck

Looking at the break, if they still fit together in a good way, loctite superglue with the primer first would work, or the dual epoxy glues from a boat / water sports shop. At least on the road until you get home. Again, reinforce with duck. 

yep looks like plastics arent extortionate.

i did a pretty good job of welding my mudguard back together, so will give the winsdcreen a go too.

Edited by dobbi

@Dougie the inner support pieces are $112 canadian per side. Reasonably priced for what they are. Would be nice to see aftermarket ones made out of aluminum or carbon fiber though.

Edited by Canadian-t7

Thanks. Yes, would be nice to see different versions too, for different screens, maybe a tilt. Wouldn’t mind a spare set, preferably cheaper still, to experiment with, lower for my sport screen. 

After doing the mudguard which held sucessfully over a long days riding, i've platic welded the windscreen carrier. it needed a lot more heat as the composite mateiral doesn't flow as well as plasitc and I had to pull the headlight right out to get a good reach into the innards but I'm pretty pleased wtih the results. Will have a cable tie around it just in case though!

IMG20210911175518.jpg

• Like 2

That's pretty good.  I'm glad you shared that repair.  I'll store this info in my mental tool box for future repairs.  Nice!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just beake mine bracket... but i'm so glad it did breake, as when i crashed at high speed offroad bike started turning around while low siding and windscreen has hit me on my neck and throat! If is bracket wont breake i would have my throat crushed and we know how this would end up 😞 Now i have massive bruising to my throat and neck, can't swallow but i'm alive. Even if they will come up with something more solid, do not fit that, it have to break!

1 hour ago, Bartek said:

Just beake mine bracket... but i'm so glad it did breake, as when i crashed at high speed offroad bike started turning around while low siding and windscreen has hit me on my neck and throat! If is bracket wont breake i would have my throat crushed and we know how this would end up 😞 Now i have massive bruising to my throat and neck, can't swallow but i'm alive. Even if they will come up with something more solid, do not fit that, it have to break!

Wow!  That sucks.  I hope you recover quickly.  Did you have the stock windshield or an aftermarket?

Stock one, it was very unlucky how bike started turning after hitting small bank on tthe side of the road... very abrupt spin after iniatially soft (ish) slide.

• Sad 1